Archinect
anchor

Cornell BArch -- worth the investment?

nesquik

Is the networking provided by Cornell really that valuable? Are there other aspects of the school that would make it worth the expense?

For some background information: I'm currently debating between attending Cornell University or the Illinois Institute of Technology for my BArch. Cornell would cost about $9,000 more per year than IIT.

I don't really know any architects, am a first generation college student, and so am kind of lost as to where I should go for school.

Apr 8, 16 4:43 pm
Non Sequitur

No.

Stop looking at absurd tuition costs as an investment.

Apr 8, 16 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Why are you picking two expensive private schools right out of the box? Of what state are you currently a resident?

Apr 8, 16 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

networking with potential clients = $$$
networking with potential colleagues = ???

If there is a specific aspect of Cornell's program you prefer it might be worth it for personal satisfaction. But networking with other architecture students won't make much difference to your potential earnings if that's what you mean. NY is a higher cost/ higher pay market than Chicago, so salary statistics between the 2 schools should be viewed with that awareness.

Both programs provide what you need to get a first job and find your way into the profession - how well you do and what kind of work you take on are all on you and how you manage your development.

I say this as a grad of one of those schools who works closely with a grad of the other. We get paid about the same and do about the same kind of work in the same office.

Apr 9, 16 5:16 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Stop looking at absurd tuition costs as an investment.

And stop looking at architecture as a good investment period.  Seriously, do a ton of homework on the realities of this profession.  And whatever you do, don't go into heavy debt for any degree, let alone a B.Arch.

Apr 9, 16 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Young-Architect

Graduating with little debt is the best thing in the world, affords you the freedom to do whatever you want. Yea you might not have that "name brand" but in the end its your work that speaks for you not a school. 

Apr 10, 16 8:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: