Archinect
anchor

MArch II Yale vs. GSD

WangMQ

Alright, I found several threads comparing Yale and Harvard's MArch I, but I'm quite surprised that there's no discussion about the MArch II program of these two schools! I got offer from both (grateful for that) and I'm struggling to pick one. So I guess it wouldn't hurt to open another thread about the Yale vs. GSD cliche for the post-pro kids out there.

Obviously the situation we're facing here (post-pro) is very different from those seeking a professional degree since:

1.You already hold a professional degree and are considered well-trained as an architect-to-be.

2.The purpose and course structure of MArch I & II are very different.

3.At this point, it seems that career planning plays a bigger role in your decision making.

I already knew quite a lot about both schools, mostly the small vs. giant, focus on architecture vs. cross-discipline platform, etc. So, what I'm personally more concerned here are:

1.Is there a fundamental difference of career paths between the graduates from the two schools? Is it true that GSD gives your more options in future career, while going to Yale usually means that you don't have better cards to play rather than architecture itself?

2.What are the typical career paths of a Yalie?

3.In the long shot, what are the biggest advantages of each school over the other concerning your personal development?

Any comments and insights (especially from those from these schools) are welcomed! It would also be great to raise more questions other than those above.

(Personally, I'm really into the style and atmosphere of YSOA. But learning that choosing Yale might mean less opportunities worries me.And both schools offer considerable amount of $$$ so money is not a major concern)

Apr 3, 16 11:54 am

"Is it true that GSD gives your more options in future career, while going to Yale usually means that you don't have better cards to play rather than architecture itself" - I can't agree with that statement. 

I'm a YSoA Post-Pro '14 grad. My class of 17 is mostly in New York. Otherwise, Philly, Boston, LA, London, Amsterdam, Soul, Seattle. A few work for big firms. Three work for top 10 types. A few work for very small firms. One guy has already started his own thing. I'd say over half of us will start our own thing in the next few years. That is a common current. We were/and are all interested in different "types" of "architecture." A girl who just wanted to draw, next to a guy who just wanted to make, next to a guy that wanted even the most mundane cube scripted, next to a guy all into talkitecture. A postpro in the class ahead of mine has already been featured in Dwell, Arcdhaily, Metropolis, etc. I have no doubt that others will soon follow. 

Apr 3, 16 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

I'd say the advantage/disadvantage of each program evens out to be the same. Both schools will offer pretty much equal professional opportunities upon graduation. Unless you're trying to get a job where the name really matters (Field Operations for example is known as an active employer for UPenn grads), or interested in a particular instructor at the school, your career path and personal development will depend on your own work rather than the name of the school (it sounds corny, but that's how I feel). The only small difference would be that outside architecture and outside the US, Harvard undeniably holds a stronger name for the vast majority, which could be both good and bad depending on your take.

Apr 4, 16 1:17 am  · 
 · 
WangMQ

@James Petty

That's really helpful (and encouraging)! But I guess I was somehow misleading by stating "more options in future career", by which I actually mean those options you could have outside the architecture profession. I know that YSOA is very architecturally focused while GSD produces all sorts of figures. For me, I'm not sure if I will take architecture as a life-long career and it wouldn't be bad to take a shift to related fields in future especially within the general art & design industry. I tend to stay open-minded at this point. So does Yale shut your doors for these options? (Or to say does GSD opens more doors for them?) 

@thompson's gazelle 

Ummm you're right about the "Harvard brand". I'm an international applicant and I'm likely to work outside the US in the future.And all my friends from outside architecture wondered why I'd have this problem instead of grabbing Harvard's offer in a second LOL!

Apr 4, 16 10:41 am  · 
 · 

I was asked by a classmate to clarify that there are 4 of the 17 from my class working in top 10 firms (sorry Craig).

Yes, Yale is more known for producing architects in the sense of making buildings. More so than other academies. That said, the guy from my class that has already started his own thing is currently making interactive installations.

Bob has kept the school pretty proper with martinis and all. Seriously, the martinis are a big deal. Bob wants to create successful architects, ones who can get work. Time will tell what happens under Deborah’s reign. She has been very hands-on with the school in the past though, so I would assume great things.

Being a PostPro has the advantage of being able to take a lot of classes outside of the school (I’m sure this is also the case at GSD). Some took classes in the School of Art, Law, Business, etc. So if you have a specific other interest, don’t forget about what is offered outside of the School. 

Apr 4, 16 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

Don't go to Harvard because its Harvard.  YSOA is an outstanding program and you're really splitting hairs when you compare it to the GSD.  I'd go to the admitted student events and reach out to faculty who you'd potentially be working with.  If there's someone whose research you find particularly interesting, or just someone who you think you could work well with, then go to that school.  The relationships you build are more important than the brand.   Focus on the work, and opportunities will follow.  

Apr 4, 16 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: