Archinect
anchor

UBC (MArch & MLA) or UofT (MArch) ?

Zoli

My M.Arch application has been accepted by U of T  and UBC (dual degree) and Carleton as well.

UBC's new dual degree (Master of Architecture and Master of  Landscape Architecture)  includes a scholarship for almost two year tuition with their admission offer, and as I know only 9 applicants were picked  this year. But it will take me 4 years there. When contrarily,  U of T  is located in my currently living city and it will be 3.5- year- program here. 

Looking at the finance, I am about to spent almost same amount eventually, cause the living expense is high in Van though I got scholarship there . I also search some websites that rate Canadian schools of architecture, UBC always is placed ahead of U of T.    However,  Vancouver has not so many practise opportunities as Toronto does I guess.

I am an interior designer who graduated from Ryerson University and working at an architecture studio  under the instruction of licensed architects. In the mean time, I have  freelance  job randomly from couple interior design firms. Moving to Van means that I have to restart my connection again.

So  I'm looking for insight on the decision between both institutions. I have not too many acquaintances and experience either in UBC or Van. If anyone has the experience for both schools or can tell me how  the job market in north American recognize the  graduates from UBC and U of T, I will be listening carefully. 

By the way , How is the M.Arch program in Carleton? I have a package of scholarship, but have no too much idea of that school .

Thank you !

Mar 24, 16 3:06 pm
JJ9527

Congratz on getting into all these 3 schools!

I would say that between UBC and UofT, either 4 years or 3.5 years does not really matter because tuition for Canadians are so low compare to US schools. For UofT,it has a much larger faculty than UBC,and location wise you would be well connected over there. Although it was said that UBC is a better school than UofT, but honestly there won't be that much of difference.

If you decide to go to UBC, there are many large firms in Vancouver and there won't be a problem finding a job since UBC is the only architectural school in the whole province. You can take a look at AIBC website where people post hiring info: https://aibcclassifieds.wordpress.com/category/career-opportunities/

About Carleton, I heard it used to be a really good school in architecture, but recently it has not change much.

Hope that help!

Mar 24, 16 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Ubc over Toronto all the time. Skip Carleton.
Mar 24, 16 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
eozzie

Hi, I have the same decision to make this year! But also a choice between MLA vs. March at UofT. I was wondering what your decision was and if you are happy with it!

Apr 4, 18 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: