Archinect
anchor

Canadian Grad School Decision: UBC (MArch & MLA) or UofT (MLA)

bcbdbcbd

I'm looking for insight on the decision I have to make between University of British Columbia and University of Toronto.

I was recently accepted to UBC's new dual degree for a Master of Landscape Architecture and a Master of Architecture and U of T's Master of Landscape Architecture. UBC included a generous entrance scholarship with their admission offer which I am aware is quite uncommon for Canadian universities. I am student from a non-architecture background (BA, Geography). During my undergrad I mainly focused on physical geography and geographic information systems although I also have a minor in Political Science. 

At the moment I am leaning heavily towards UBC for the following reasons:

- I will receive two degree from UBC for one more year of study (4 years versus 3 years)

- Annual tuition at UBC is roughly half that of U of T

- UBC awarded me a scholarship roughly equivalent to two years tuition

- UBC is located in my hometown (Vancouver, BC) and likely where I would like to practice as a professional 

The supposed downsides of UBC include:

- One more year of study (and postponing a decision I may ultimately have to make between landscape architecture and architecture)

- Not as internationally connected as U of T (although I'm not sure how this translates into real world positions at firms)

- U of T is moving into a new integrated facilitiy this year (all graduate design programs under one roof), while at UBC, architecture and landscape architecture studios are separated on campus

Comparing these lists I am leaning towards UBC right now. Are there any positives or negatives you can contibute to either case? If you have any experience with either of these institutions I greatly value your input. 

Mar 17, 16 1:57 pm
Non Sequitur

UBC hands down.

Is the UBC M.arch accredited for future architectural license? (real architecture, not landscape). If so, it's a no brainer.

Mar 17, 16 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
bcbdbcbd

Yes, UBC offers accredited masters degrees for both architecture and landscape architecture. 

Mar 17, 16 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
good details

If you can also live at home UBC hands down.  The financial assistance you received is a super nice bonus.  If you currently live in Van go visit their final reviews.  They are happening sometime in the next couple of weeks.  You can talk to current students and get their opinion of the program and also see the kind of work they are producing.  Call up the SALA office and find out when final reviews are, they are open to the public.  UBC has some great faculty for landscape architecture (or did when I was there).  Daniel Roehr and Cynthia Girling (director of the landscape arch program) were both fantastic professors.  I would also talk with some practitioners in Vancouver and find out what they think of both school's programs.  I wouldn't worry about getting a job in Vancouver if you end up choosing UofT.  I know a few people who did the program at UofT and now work in Vancouver.

Mar 17, 16 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy

Take UBC. You are getting a huge grant, as well that extra year can be very important to your development. In my years of schooling, my work changes and develops drastically per semester! Landscape architecture is very interesting as it plays a big role in architecture. The best architects in the world don't just study architecture, they have excellent understanding/interest in other fields such as sightseeing/fashion/music/technology. I wouldn't see the extra year of schooling as a pain in the ass, but rather another year you get to be free and creatively explore your ideas.

Also, "- Not as internationally connected as U of T (although I'm not sure how this translates into real world positions at firms)" this is not important. I have spoken to many partners and they have all expressed how disappointed they were in many UofT grads as they were incapable, vs students from other schools (mainly waterloo). This was coming from partners who graduated from UofT.

I think this comment you made summarizes really well where you should go. "UBC is located in my hometown (Vancouver, BC) and likely where I would like to practice as a professional "  Wouldn't it be in the firm's interest to hire local talent as they have an excellent understanding in the local built environment?

Mar 17, 16 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

wait... real advice given on a school post?

everyone feeling generous today I guess.

Mar 17, 16 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: