Archinect
anchor

Associates Degree in architecture?

Awsilva

Hi guys, I'm new here.  I recently switched my major to architecture and I have a couple of questions.  I live in California and I'm currently attending a community college that offers an associates degree in architecture.  They also have a program for an associates degree in construction management.  If I get an associates degree in both of these programs, how hard would it be to find a job in an architectural firm?  The architecture program is showing me how to draft and the construction management program is showing me how to estimate and handle construction documents.  Will firms laugh at my resume when I tell them I have 2 associates degree? Or would it somehow be possible to land a decent paying job with an important role? I love architecture and everything about it, since I was a child this is something that I always knew I wanted to do.  However, I'm coming from a really poor family and I do not have the time or money to go for a bachelors/masters.  I'm literally living in a tiny apartment with 2 brothers, my sister and my mom and I don't think I can put my family on hold for 6 years while I get a degree.  I also don't want to be in massive debt and have trouble paying it off.  I'm curious about your guys' thoughts on getting 2 associate degrees in both architecture and construction management.

Mar 16, 16 4:46 pm
senjohnblutarsky

Should be in line for a drafting/design position with the possibility of checking submittals/doing construction admin. We have several folks doing that here with lesser associates degrees. 

Mar 16, 16 4:51 pm  · 
1  · 
Beepbeep

Do CM you will make a lot more... plus a lot of CM B.S. degrees allow and are tailored around working while doing it in the field if you wanted to finish it up. The guys I went to school with in CM (I did a dual Arch-CM undergrad ) started at 55k+... I went to graduate architecture school paid 107K and still make 51K with 5 years exp.

Mar 16, 16 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

I did a professional Arch degree, I then took a CM course at a community college and met the associate architecture majors. You guys are better trained than the 4 year and master programs. Go into interviews and network with confidence by saying, " I actually know how to draft and how to set up construction sets." The community colleges are treating it like a vocational training and are setting you up to get a job. The universities are treating it like a philosophy major. You have better training, trust me.

Mar 18, 16 12:28 am  · 
1  · 
gdub

I am unsure how long you have been in school. I started off in a community college and transferred into a university and finished with a B. Arch. My parents did not pay for college. I worked full time and went to architecture school full time and managed to get out with only $65,000 in loans. It was painful but I managed. Don't let your families lack of wealth set you back. If your parents are poor, you can get financial aid(which means you won't have to work as much), and if you don't get aid, you can get government/private loans to assist with what you can't cover by working but you will need to work and go to school.

If that sounds like too much, then choose either the Associates in Architecture and then move on to become a drafter in an architecture firm and move up from there, or choose the Associates in Construction Management and move on to work towards a position as a project manager for a general contractor. Whatever you do, don't do both! I know that both will take you 4 years. If you are going to invest that time, do a full degree! 

If money is what you are after, choose the construction management associates degree. Look up the salary of a construction estimator, construction project manager and architectural drafter so you can get your head around it. If you care passionately about design, then choose architecture, but be prepared to be paid less. Don't let the fact that you came from a poor family paint you in a corner. People rise above and go to school all the time. I was one of the few in my program who worked and went to school. I worked full time and attended architecture school full time. I barely slept but I made it happen. I am still paying for it, but now I can go onto a Master Program if I want and will always have that education with me.

If you can, try to get a job running errands in a construction company or architecture firm and get your foot in the door. Some companies will help pay for you to do your schooling. 

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney

Mar 19, 16 6:23 pm  · 
1  · 
nyreewilson

Thanks for sharing. Just curious what kind of job did you work while in FT arch program? I’ll have my associates soon and I plan on transferring to a university for my B. Arch has well

Oct 3, 22 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
deltar

Not OP but I work for a municipality as a residential inspector & plans reviewer while attending school FT. It sucks and I have to be extremely regimented with my schedule in order to finish things on deadlines.

Oct 3, 22 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
virizavala

what college is it that is offering construction management program? 

Feb 1, 24 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: