Archinect
anchor

UPenn or UCLA for Masters?

bwa771

Hi, I'm an international student who has 5-years bachelor's degree in Architecture.

I've applied to many US and Canadian schools for masters program this year, and I've received most of the results. 

After master's program, I'm planning to move to Canada and want to get license there because I will soon get permanent residency in Canada. 

These are the results I've received, so if you have any suggestion or recommendations, please let me know!

1. UCLA 3-year M.Arch 1 

2. UPenn 1.5-year M.Arch II: I've applied to M.Arch 1, but they told me since I have 5-year degree, I should be in MSD in Advanced Architectural Design program.

3. Pratt 1.5-year Master of Science, Architecture (Post Professional) + $15000 scholarship

4. University of Illinois Chicago: 3-year M.Arch 1

5. U of Toronto: 3-year M.Arch 1

Please help me decide where I should go!

Mar 16, 16 12:08 pm
Non Sequitur

take the cheapest.

also, why not just get an M.arch in canada since that's your end goal anyways.

Mar 16, 16 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

You should consider money and where you find yourself fitting best work wise.

UIC March 1 three year program isn't that great I really don't recommend it. I have my under grad degree from them and they are a great school however the friends I have who went into the masters there as well hate it. The program just isn't as strong as it once was nor challenging. The only good part out of it is the connection to Chicago architecture because they definitely have the strongest connection out of any of the schools there.  If they didn't offer you any money don't bother especially since your end goal is Canada.

UCLA's program is similar to UIC's, I've seen the work out of it and it was in my top schools when i applied for the masters program. It has great connections within the city of LA and its known by any architect firm as a good school. It will put you in the right place. The teaching staff is great. The have wonderful emerging architects like Erin Besler and Jimenez Lai. I personally didn't choose to go here because I also felt like it lacked challenge and it was to similar to my undergrad. Also of the first and second year studios were project I had done in my undergrad already.

UPENN is a great school it was also in my top three. I loved the option of the Dual Degree. I don't remember if the MSD program is accredited or not so if that is a factor for you id suggest double checking with the school. Most M. Arch 2 programs usually aren't.

I don't really have much to say about Pratt nor U of Toronto. But if you are looking in working in Canada It might be good to go to a school out there to get the networking going in a place that would benefit you.

Mar 17, 16 4:04 am  · 
 · 
Driko

i say UPenn. why get an M.Arch over a MSAD? you already have a 5 yr degree. you dont need to take those req courses you probably already took again. Thats just a wast of time and money. Either go to Pratt or UPenn or wait another year and reapply to programs for a Masters of Science in Architectural design. From what i hear about Upenn is that they are stingy (what ever that means) and i dont hear enough about pratt. Dont waste your time going to school for another 3 years and if you dont like the two MS programs just apply again next year at other schools for a MS. 

Mar 17, 16 10:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: