Archinect
anchor

University of Oregon or Portland State University or Deferment

jay-rod21

I currently live in Portland and I've been accepted into the M.Arch programs at both the University of Oregon and Portland State University. I'm trying to decide what I should do and am kind of having a hard time with it. I know that Oregon's program would be better and I like it more but am not real thrilled to move to Eugene. On the other hand, I'm not real fond of Portland State but would prefer to stay in Portland over Eugene. Also, both schools start in the summer which I don't like. 

My financial situation would be a concern. I will be able to pay the school costs but likely not meet my other everyday expenses as they don't seem eligible for loans. Another option is to defer enrollment for a year and take more time to consider my options. I'm not sure my financial situation would be any different in a year. However, I do like the idea of applying to some out of state schools. So if I deferred I'd know I'd have the two Oregon options and then I could see if I can get admitted to another school and if not then just stay in Oregon. I'd like to try for a more renowned program but maybe I'm too hung up on rankings. The University of Texas is on the top of my list currently. I'd love a chance to go there. One negative to deferring is that I am already 30 years old and waiting longer might make it harder.

I'd appreciate anyone's input on my situation. Or any feedback on U. of Oregon, Portland State, and even the U. of Texas. Should I just pick one of the schools or defer and hopefully be in a better situation next year?

Mar 15, 16 11:34 pm
Volunteer

Pick the in-state school you like the best and go. What is the real difference between Portland and Eugene as to quality of life? As for considering out-of-state schools, and out-of-state tuitions and private school tuitions, next year how will that improve your finances either now or in the future?

Mar 16, 16 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

UO is not an exceptional architecture school, it's not bad, but there's nothing they do that makes them stand out.  Other than a football team that doesn't lose every game, and some shiny new facilities there's not much of a difference between UO and PSU.  Portland State being in an urban setting with some architectural history and a dynamic social scene, you'd be better served in your education, more of a chance to see how place and the built environment work together.  Frankly there's no reason to go to a state school outside of Oregon, the cost wouldn't be justified.

Mar 16, 16 10:39 am  · 
 · 
proto

First off, it sounds like you'd prefer UoO; why not go for it? How much of your studies can be done at the Portland center?

Deferral will only work if it gets you more financial stability. If you are deferring because you can't decide, you may have other issues (not trying to be mean, just being realistic about your goals).

i've taught adjunct at both in the past, and the my overall takeaway is that the caliber of student is higher at UoO (as a broad generalization). 

that said, PSU has come a long ways in recent years improving the program leaps & bounds from where it was 10yrs ago. And there are former PSU students I would totally hire based on their intelligence, work ethic & architectural promise.

i think you can come away from PSU with a solid education, and Portland is a great town to live & study in (many UoO students try to get into the Portland program because of the city experience). if it satisfies your financial needs, go for it.

Mar 16, 16 11:01 am  · 
 · 
er8y_j

University of Oregon has a Portland Campus. I wonder if you can talk to them about switching? Although I know it's possible to do one year at both? 

Mar 16, 16 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: