Archinect
anchor

UBC, UT, Oregon or Tulane?

ameliaray

UT is the least expensive because I am Texan, but there are many factors to consider. 

Please help!

Mar 14, 16 4:45 pm
Non Sequitur

Any other major life decisions you want anonymous internet forum members to answer?

Mar 14, 16 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

based on the priorities you've described and my assumptions about you, UBC. Canada is the Texas of countries! (2nd biggest!)

Mar 14, 16 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Have you checked out the cost of living in Vancouver? It is going up by the second like the Federal deficit clock. Then there is the $21,000 a year tuition. A degree from Texas is at least as good as Tulane and Oregon. Unless you want to flagellate yourself financially for much of your working life, go to Austin.

Mar 14, 16 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

Just try not to get shot at while you are there.

Mar 14, 16 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The crime rate in New Orleans is one hell of a lot higher than Austin, Texas.

Mar 14, 16 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

A Texan in British Columbia?

Better leave those pistols and imperial system at the border.

Mar 14, 16 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
ameliaray

I am Texan who would prefer to be a Canadian, but I do not want to live in my whole life in debt. Does anyone know how much a starting architect could make in a large firm coming from UT, or coming from UBC? Could I get a better job in Canada from UBC, and pay off my debt more quickly? 

Mar 15, 16 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^way too many variables to give you any useful answers and remember, Canadian licensing procedures, code standards and "university prestige" is different than the american ones.

If you want to live and work in Canada, probably better to have an education that matches the country. At the very least, you won't be bogged down by silly feetsies and milesies and the examination process is far more simple up here. Job wise, in the end, it's the quality of the portfolio and the job applicable skills you develop that will get you jobs. The name on the degree is secondary at first and quickly becomes irrelevant once you have experience.

Mar 15, 16 11:55 am  · 
 · 
TXY48

Vancouver has a lot of big architectural firms like Bing Thom, HCMA, MGA, omb, Patkau, etc... You can apply there after you are graduated from UBC. The advantage of UBC is that it's the only school that offers m.arch degree in the whole province, so u wont have a problem getting a job.

Mar 15, 16 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
good details

Take it for what it's worth, but I've noticed far more Dal and UofT grads working in Vancouver firms than UBC grads...

Mar 16, 16 2:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: