Archinect
anchor

Architecture Home Assignment, Help wanted

Scandinavianbushtiger

Hello guys!

I applied for the Architect program that begins this fall in Stockholm. I am now working on a architecture homework assignment that can give me a study space and let me start studying this year. One of the questions I wonder a bit about is the following:

"You'll make a three-dimensional collages based on all or part of your model. The collage should not be an image but you are free to reinterpret your model. Your collagen may consist of cavities, bumps and dips. Choose three (optional) material that you use in your collage. You can freely choose your collage's size, but it should be mounted on cardboard A-3 format and have a maximum height of 3cm from the sheet surface "

I wonder, when it comes to interpretation. Interpretations are personal? I see one thing one way and another sees the same thing in a different way. As I interpret angles and parts of my model (model that can contain an egg, which can be taken in and out of the model without letting the egg fall out when you turn the model upside down), is it probably best to have a clear connection among my interpretations so that my collages different parts work together and jointly fill functions/purpose? The majority of the parts of my model is there for a reason, hold up, hold on, to make it more stable, etc. Am I on the right track if I think that the parts in my collages which I interpret to have the same function in the model, but perhaps in a another and perhaps the larger context of a bridge, building, etc. is there anything I should be extra accurately with? Something that helps my collage stand out or anything that you think the jury will appreciate a little bit extra?

All help/criticism is welcome!

Thanks in advance, Daniel.

Mar 11, 16 10:35 am

Just make a collage with a giant middle finger that pops up.

Mar 11, 16 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Scandinavianbushtiger

Flawless! I'll keep that in mind!

Mar 11, 16 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Sounds like you are on the right track. Do what you think is best and be prepared to explain-on multiple levels-why you did what you did
May 16, 16 7:51 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

You need to be creative.  If it looks or resembles anything that exists or you've seen before, scrap it and start over again.

May 16, 16 9:57 am  · 
 · 

If i was a juror i would look for a collage that offers multiple angles/view without even touching the model. be inspired by the works of archigram, piranesi, zaha hadid paintings & escher.

May 16, 16 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
gdub

I believe your exercise is about creating a form that is inspired by something else. In the real world, you may have a client who says that they want a building that looks like A. But the site and program does not allow for A, so you have to create B which is inspired by A. Architects look to the everyday world for inspiration. Sometimes a piece of clothing fabric or a piece of furniture becomes something that is an architectural element within the building, or influences the whole exterior form to a building. So, the exercise is about finding inspiration and showing just cause for how or why you interpreted something in the way which you did. I am a big fan of Pinterest. You can look at pictures which inspire you and then look back to your model to see if there are similarities, then maybe use you what you like in both to create your 3D extrapolation. So, you can look at your model and then view 3D forms online which remind  you of it and maybe that will lead you in the direction where you need to go. With respect to the material which you use, yarn, ribbon, mesh, or rubber string which is pulled might be interesting. Beijing's Nest Stadium for example is a building which I think could be easily recreated in a 3D format using those materials. Also, sometimes looking at crazy pictures of nature and then looking back at your model may help you.

Jun 3, 16 3:43 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

inspiration is too often used as an excuse for architects to emulate/copy. Less and less architects actually get inspired, but copy other work.

Nov 15, 19 10:22 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ Reaching a new set of lows here

Jan 12, 17 5:06 am  · 
 · 

I think the key is to have a concept and use that to justify all aspects of the project. If it has a reason to be in the collage then keep it, if not try to do without it.  The goal of these types of exercises is to see how you follow a set of guidelines and the creativity comes from how you find space within those guidelines to do something extraordinary.

best of luck.

Peter N

Oct 12, 18 8:34 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Can't we all agree that this assignment is a waste of time?  If a student did this on their own as a step in their method to find a parti and if it helped them actually form their project, great... but to assign it to the class seems like you're going to get a lot of half-baked collages that look really close to the original model and are discarded next week when the new assignment hits.

Mar 6, 19 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hopefully it did not take them 2 years to complete the homework.

Mar 6, 19 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

You never know, those Swedes are finicky people .

Nov 15, 19 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Well, it can take 2y to build their big-box furniture, so maybe they have similar instructions for homework.

Nov 15, 19 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: