Archinect
anchor

Three-year Master Program Issue

courbet709

Hey guys,

I got accepted into U Michigan and Washington St. Louis with no aid (didn't apply for one, which I should); still waiting SCI-ARC, UCLA, Virginia Tech. 

I've read a lot of posts on comparison between SCI-ARC and UCLA. UCLA seems more balanced and I appreciate that.

So my issue would be:

If deciding between U Michigan and Washington St. Louis, which better prepares you as an independent architect with necessary skills and how would you comment each campus and learning environment?

And If choosing among UCLA, Virginia Tech and Washington St. Louis, what are the pros and cons? 

PS: I like Washington St. Louis a lot for its travel studio but I enjoy the west coast and its Asian community (Great Sashimi and stuff).

All discussion involves no financial aid, for sure. Other comments on school are welcomed too.  

Mar 9, 16 12:30 am
Driko

The most expensive to least (anyone correct me if im wrong) 

1) SCI-Arc

2) Washington St. Louis

3) UCLA & UMichigan

4) Virginia Tech

SCI-Arc:

Pros: This program might help you land a spot at a top DESIGN firm. If you want to be a theoretical designer this could help you get your name known. 

Cons: I think one of the most expensive schools. Usually 2.5 years to 3.5 years so on avg a longer commitment to the program (this is a con in my eyes because the more time your in school the more you are spending money (books, supplies, living, etc..) the less you are making (typically). Its pretty controversial whether their grads are capable of the fundamental tasks of architecture (can they create building schedules or reference codes, boring stuff) but i hear they are great with grasshopper and visualization. Not everyone likes parametric and "funky architecture" it doesn't make sense to most people and no one  wants to pay for it. The school is an old train station i believe and this is a negative to me because you should network with as many people outside the profession as possible unless you want to work in academics. 

Washington St. Louis:

Pros: This is a great school across all disciplines so this gives you great networking opportunities. The Graduate Program is consistently ranked in the top 10 architecture programs in America. 

Cons: Expensive, The Midwest is terrible for the architecture business (im from chicago and this is just my observation)

UCLA:

Pros: this would honestly be my choice on your list. Its a reputable school over all. attracts a diverse student body. offers an array of focuses and it shouldnt be hard to find a professor to help you out with that. I know of some "starchitects" who work/ teach there. I think Neil Denari is still there and Thom Mayne(founder of Sci-Arc) so more the reason not to go to sci arc. consistently competitive in student arch competitions.

Cons: Its a 3 year program unless you get admitted into 2 year.  L.A. is expensive. 

UMich:

Pros: The only school that will place you in the 2 year program if you have studied architecture for your undergraduate studies, This is a huge plus to me. Some of the best faculty in the nation. First ranked public school on the list. Their graduates usually land positions at all different kind of firms globally. The "Dimensions" catalog they produce every year the best architecture catalog any school produces imo. Largest Fabrication Lab right next to Sci-Arc in the country. One of the best Universities in the nation

Cons: Michigan is COLD. The cost of living in Ann Arbor is comparable to some Chicago living. The Dean (Monica) has left her position to go to Princeton. She was basically the person who built up their ranking along side of the late Mr. Taubman who has donated a crazy amount of money into the program. He just passed away last year and i dont know if he has set up any kind of donation program for the school of architecture. I mention this because these people were key in the success of the program. Monica brought in some top talent to Michigan where they probably would have stayed either east or west coast and should couldn't have done that with out Tubman money. 

Virginia Tech:

Pros/Cons: i don't hear or know much about this school other than its at a pretty good rank.

What i would do is find people off facebook, Archinect, Linkedin from these programs to see what they are up to and see if what they are doing aligns with what you want to do

Mar 9, 16 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: