Archinect
anchor

SAIC MArch Program

lacalr

Hello all, 

I have been admitted into the Option II MArch program at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on attending SAIC for an MArch. Some of the other posts I have seen about it state that it may not have the faculty base or experience that other, more veteran schools have. As well as that it may not be the most well rounded program. My main concern is that I would not get enough practical experience and knowledge to grow as an architect. Has anyone graduated from this program recently or is currently in it that cold give me some advice on what this program is really like? Is it more conceptual design and art based or will it give me plenty of opportunities to gain a practical skill set? Is the SAIC architecture program becoming more well known then it was in 2011 when it first got accredited?

I am generally just looking for more up to date opinions on SAIC's Architecture program. I have visited the school twice and have really liked it, as well as Chicago itself. I have been accepted into U Mich and Tulane university as well so I am really trying to get a better understanding of the schools before I make a decision. 

Thanks!

Mar 8, 16 3:22 pm
Driko

SAIC is the most expensive arch school in IL. It seems to generally be a good school but think about the debt you are about to take on. U Mich seems to give out some decent packages but take everything financially into consideration, cost of living, sales taxes, gas prices, etc...

Mar 8, 16 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
lacalr

Yeah that's a good point, I believe Chicago is the most expensive out of the cities to live in. I got financial support from the other two schools but am still waiting on the official SAIC letter which would include financial support. I plan on deferring one year and UMich won't let me do that so that may be a problem. 

Mar 8, 16 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: