Archinect
anchor

can i take a degree in architectural psychology !!

AwniHamad

Hello everyone 

am a recent graduate in architecture ( Part 1 ) , currently working in a firm with 8 months of experiences . i realized that it's too late to apply for part 2 for the next year calendar 2016-2017 . So my plan is during this year to take a master degree in ( architectural psychology or environmental psychology  ) and working as a part time in any firm .

The issue know is i couldn't find any courses around the world related to this approach , to be honest i just found two university which is ( university of surrey - MSc in environmental psychology ) and ( university of groningen -  MSc in psychology-and-the-environment ) . both of them are one year master which is really goes with my plan . but unfortunately only these two universities around the world the world that offers this thing .

what am asking is if anyone knows other option i can see or other courses ? specially in architectural psychology  

and the most important question is it my approach toward psychology and architecture  really good or workable or something ?

thnax in advance  

Mar 8, 16 3:23 am

Short answer: There are no jobs outside of academia.

Longer answer: There are only a few people who do this in the real world. You need a degree in psychology and a degree in architecture and then combine the two into a coherent aesthetic approach.

Mar 8, 16 4:22 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Should've maybe got an undergrad in psych and master in arch... What are you going for? Environmental psychologists are psychologists... researchers, academics, maybe consultants but that would be hard to come by. 

Maybe consider getting a certificate (rather than degree) in something psych related? 

Mar 8, 16 7:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

After only 8-months in the working world and you're already jumping ship? More schooling won't save you.

Mar 8, 16 8:46 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

stay way from stupid student loans!!! they are killers.

Mar 13, 16 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
gdub

Focus on the top architecture schools in the U.S., Europe, the rest of the world and look at each of their masters programs. Try to research what their professors are actually performing research on, you may be able to do your thesis in architecture in this area and just work under them. A program that also has a PhD program where the professors from the PhD program teach the Master's program might be good. I would do the same for Masters/PhD in Psychology Programs. Alternatively, look for classes that focus on cognitive/neuroscience as at pertains to the built environment, then reach out to the professors who teach those courses. Normally, if you can find a professor who teaches a class in this area in a top school, they will be aware of who all the top people are who are doing research in this area and can point you to them and what schools they are working out of.

Just a thought: The world of Artificial Intelligence overlaps with Environmental Psychology.

Perhaps, expand your online search to include neuroscience, cognitive behavior and architecture.

Interesting links:

http://www.architectmagazine.com/technology/three-ways-neuroscience-can-inform-and-improve-architecture_o

http://danbucsescuarchitect.com/pratt-conference-neuroscience-and-architecture

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/mind-architecture

http://neuroinformatics.usc.edu/

https://www.brikbase.org/sites/default/files/ANFA2014_ExtendedAbstracts-1.pdf

Check out where these people work and what they do: http://www.anfarch.org/board-of-directors/

Mar 19, 16 7:36 pm  · 
1  · 
Zahra Dhanji

Thank you so much for this!!

Mar 27, 20 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

there is one elective course in the study plan of Architecture in the university of Jordan related to the psychology of architecture...but it is just one elective course, not an entire study program!!

I can tell you're Egyptian btw :p 

Mar 20, 16 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
legopiece

Well at least you have noticed something after a short time in the trenches of architecture.  Have you thought about going to a different line of work?   This just highlights another reason that this profession is in such a degenerated state people who really dont know what they want to do in life, Degree collectors but to each their own.   I think you should join the fbi 's x files department. Kidding all the best in your future choices. 

Mar 20, 16 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

what would you do with the degree?

Apr 15, 16 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

^ treat architects who suffering from ptsd due to this profession perhaps?

Apr 16, 16 6:30 am  · 
 · 

In general: Creating empathetic spaces.

Specifically: Low stress environments for individuals with autism, waiting rooms in hospitals, employment offices, and memorials to name a few.

Apr 16, 16 10:20 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Really?

Apr 16, 16 10:27 am  · 
 · 
realegg

Do you mean you want to study some Fengshui ?

Apr 16, 16 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Nihit

Well seeing as architecture is the conscious alteration of our environment. and The environment comprises of the parameters that spawn us. Wouldn't taking the reigns fully be an excercise towards freedom? So understanding the interface between the environment and the mind would be the first step to taking the reigns. 

Jan 15, 17 8:34 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

You are already free to starve to death without taking on additional debt to do so.

Jan 15, 17 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Psychology is people and understanding people is very useful in interpreting their sometimes non-literal communications. It also helps you interpret motivations - immensely useful. I think perhaps more should study it even just the basics. I have a certificate and worked for a psychologist for 6 years and returned to architecture and use this knowledge and ability all the time. Plus, I know myself a lot better, and take care of myself better.

Jan 15, 17 10:00 am  · 
1  · 
akshatasutar

Hello! Sorry in advance for the long string of questions. Did you do a Bachelors in both? Or just a diploma in Psychology? How has that worked out for you? Do you recommend doing a Bachelors in Psychology after doing a B. Arch degree? (That is my intended course of action at the moment.) Also, how was the study like? Did you find it difficult to shift back to a very scientific, logical frame of thinking (i.e, brushing up on lost knowledge of Biology and math)? Do you have any universities to recommend to study Psychology (Preferably where they provide student grants/scholarships/financial aid.)

Feb 23, 17 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
lmr1287

I did this! I have undergrad degrees in both psychology and architecture then a Masters in Human-Environment Relations at Cornell University (http://dea.human.cornell.edu/). I love what I do and yes, have a job outside of academia. There are architecture firms out there that understand the importance of the looking at how the buildings we design impact the well-being and functions of its users. Good luck!

Feb 1, 17 10:21 pm  · 
1  · 
akshatasutar

Did you do a Bachelors in both? Or just a diploma in Psychology? How has that worked out for you? Do you recommend doing a Bachelors in Psychology after doing a B. Arch degree? (That is my intended course of action at the moment.) Also, how was the study like? Did you find it difficult to shift back to a very scientific, logical frame of thinking (i.e, brushing up on lost knowledge of Biology and math)? Do you have any universities to recommend to study Psychology (Preferably where they provide student grants/scholarships/financial aid.) But I would really appreciate it if you helped me out here. I am in a dilemma.

Feb 23, 17 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
akshatasutar

And sorry for the long string of questions.

Feb 23, 17 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I did a Bachelors in Architecture, worked for about 8 years in that field then during a period of unemployment I worked and received training on the job in both educational therapy and speech therapies with a psychologist/teacher to work with kids with learning disabiitites. I also got a certificate in Medical Neuroscience which was 4 classes of graduate school level courses at Duke. I also took several other classes, all online, and did some on the job learning in statistics and cognitive-behavioral therapies. The hardest class I took was Physiology and Anatomy (I took it twice.) The job was harder than the classes. I didn't do any research like you might if you get a degree. Where are you? I am in the US so I like Stanford, Naropa, and Weslyan of the places I am familiar with. The University of Surry has a Masters in Environmental Psychology that I have met a graduate of but I don't really know anything about it.

Feb 23, 17 2:57 pm  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

The experience was the best teacher, the certificate was just a supplement. The education probably wouldn't have made much sense without the experience to apply it to. I got really lucky to have the opportunity I got. I'm now self-employed in both fields with partners in each.

Feb 23, 17 3:09 pm  · 
2  · 
archontia

Hello :)

I am currently a Part II student and thinking the same thing. Although you may be discouraged by quite a few people it doesn't necessarily mean that you will not succeed. It is funny how many architects don't see the point at all. Either way, as mentioned above, a few firms are able to see the importance of this and we are the generation that will create a bigger shift in the existing mentality. So please go ahead and do what your heart calls for because there are places out there for everyone. And if there aren't you can always make one for yourself. It just needs guts and persistence to be able to deal with the drawbacks of doing something a bit unconventional, dealing with the dept that you will possibly have after so many years of study etc. Be realistic about it but don't let this discourage you if you think you have a way or feel determined enough to go forward.

My plan is to qualify as an Architect as well as an Environmental Psychologist and practice with both in mind. All the best and please let us know what you will decide to do in the coming years. :)

Apr 19, 17 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
paulaharwood

Hello Karel, great to hear, how may I contact you?

Kind regards,

Paula, Australia

Nov 13, 19 6:08 am  · 
 · 
dinaabdo

hey there , 
i have a degree in architectural engineering and 8 years experience . but i feel something missing and that i am going no where , so i have decided to continue my studies , and i have always liked psychology . i was searching for psychology and architecture major , andi came throught this post . i would really like to know what were the choices that you take ?
i am looking for schools in europe , in specific scandanavian countries. if anyone can help ..
thanks

Dec 28, 19 10:32 am  · 
 · 
Dokuser

uhhh

Mar 27, 20 6:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: