Archinect
anchor

Pursuing a MA in Architecture abroad

Richard Mitchell

Hi there,

I'm a New Media student at Purchase in NY. I've been obsessed with architecture for a while now and have been focusing my efforts in designing structures with generative based designs with a interest in virtual spaces, scenography, sustainability, alternative development fabrication processes. I've still got some time left, less than 3 years. I'm really interested in pursuing architecture and have already taken classes in urban design (with more planned for the future) and going to be focusing heavily on CAD next semester although I do have some experience with the software and running programs I've designed with CNC Routers.

I love my program here and want to pursue a M.A. in Architecture or similar degree after my bachelors. Germany is definitely attractive to me, particularly the program for Media Architecture at Bauhaus Weimar, I've also been looking into Städelschule, Staatliche Akademie Der Bildenden Künste Stuttgart, ICD Stuttgart among others.

I wanted to see if it is un-common or practical for a New Media student to move into doing a  Masters in Architecture. I've talked to other Architecture students who are friends of mine from Norway and elsewhere and it seems like my program does have some crossovers. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

- Richard C. Mitchell

Mar 7, 16 10:15 am
3tk

It's not unusual to get a MArch with any undergraduate degree, many graduate programs in the US have about half their degree candidates come from a non-architecture background.  European programs are another matter - you have to meet their prerequisites one way or another.  Some will have a path for US degree holders, in other cases you may have to have your coursework reviewed.  German universities, particularly in architecture have a very competitive entrance requirement (scoring high on their Abitur exams).  They also generally require you to do well on their language competency exam (assuming you'll be in one of the German speaking programs (I remember one of the Stuttgart schools had a program taught in English).  Note that the European degrees tend to have more rigorous math and science requirements than in the US.

Mar 7, 16 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Richard Mitchell

Thank you 3tk, That's something I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm glad to know that it's not un-common for non architecture undergrads to pursue that in grad school. Yes, I've identified a few bi-lingual programs of interest in Germany. The math and science part shouldn't be to out of this world since im doing Comp. Sci work and collaborate closely with biology students for my simulations and sculptures. This is something to keep in mind though I'm definitely interested in studying abroad for my masters.

Thank you for the input on this. It's much appreciated.

-Richard C. Mitchell

(a pseudonym)

Mar 7, 16 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: