Archinect
anchor

2016 M.Arch I and II Applicants - Final Results

michel-p

Ladies and Gentlemen, Hello to all of you,

As you may know, GSD, Virginia, Berkeley and UT Austin have announced their decisions. Yale is in the way. It would be great if you could share your application status in information here:

- Age/Sex/Citizenship

- Undergraduate degree/ School

- GRE scores/ TOEFL scores (internationals)

- PORTFOLIO (link)

- GPA

- SOP (abstract or tips)

- SCHOOLS applied

- Results (in, out or wait list)

- Funds awarded 

Best of luck

Mar 6, 16 12:23 pm
C. Watts

A thread has already been made for this: http://archinect.com/forum/thread/148507075/2016-graduate-program-decisions

Mar 6, 16 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
londonfog

IMPORTANT TIP for CHOOSING M.ARCH SCHOOL.
Hi I am an international senior student attending one of IVY League architecture school now.
I am writing this to give you guys a really helpful and important tip when choosing architecture school.
I am writing this because I learned a lot of things while attending TWO IVY League architecture schools so far and really hope you guys-especially international students who have less chance of getting financial aid or scholarships than american students do- make right decision.
First I want to introduce my self briefly. As I mentioned I am an international student with no architecture or design background. Several years ago, I prepared the portfolio and applied to all IVY League schools and was only admitted to Columbia. But didn't go that school and decided to prepare one more year and apply again to IVY League schools. The reason was money. As you know Columbia never gives money to international students and also dwelling expense in New York is crazy. And next year I was admitted to several IVY schools and some offered me a lot of money. But I chose to go GSD that didn't offer any money. Most international students have a kind of fantasy about HARVARD and so did I. That's why I chose GSD at that time. But after one semester I quit the school. THREE major reasons are as follows.
1. The tuition is so expensive. nearly $45,000 a year. And $30,000 for housing and other things. So nearly $80,000 required to attend the school. NO FINANCIAL AID FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS, NO LOAN FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS(Especially those who has no guarantor in the U.S.) So I was not able to pay tuition anymore.
2. Disappointing school facilities, curriculum, studio, etc for such high tutition. --> Don't get me wrong. This is not only for GSD but most IVY architecture schools.        
3. Good School DOES NOT guarantee good jobs for architectural fields.
I was really regretful not choosing the school that offered money. But I had no choice and I prepared the portfolio again and applied again for M.ARCH schools that year. And finally I was admitted to one of IVY schools with Half tutition+α/year. And now I am a senior student of that school.
SO WHAT AM I TRYING TO SAY? (especially for International Students)
1. Never choose the school that doesn't offer any money. I know that most international students consider the school name very importantly but never do mistake like me! I can tell you IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS ARE ALL THE SAME!!(Faculty are similar, curriculums are similar) JUST CHOOSE THE SCHOOL THAT OFFER YOU MORE MONEY!!! In architectural field, different IVY Schools doesn't make any difference when you get the job. Only the PORTFOLIO AND LANGUAGE SKILLS make difference. And the most important thing I can tell you is that GOOD SCHOOL DOESN'T MAKE YOUR PORTFOLIO BETTER. The quality of design and your portfolio only depends on your ability and skills. The studio instructors don't make your design better it's only you who make the design.  
And most important thing is getting the job. When I was attending GSD I saw and heard a lot of students who didn't get the internship and job. This is not only the case of GSD but most IVY schools are the same. The point is the school name never guarantee getting good jobs or internships. All architecture students will agree with this comment. The portfolio you submit for applying M.ARCH schools are different from the portfolio you submit for your job. I know most students(especially international students) prepare their portfolio with help of private institution. But the portfolio for jobs should include professional studio works. That only depends on your ability.
Anyway the bottom line is that CHOOSE THE SCHOOL THAT GIVES YOU MORE MONEY. $80,000/year is crazy. Even $5,000/year is a lot of money so choose the school that gives you money even if the money is less than you expected. If GSD do not give you money and MIT, YALE, UPENN give you money just choose the latters. I mean it. If YALE, CORNELL and UPENN do not give you money and Princeton and MIT give you money choose the latters. MONEY SHOULD BE THE FIRST THING TO CONSIDER!!!!!At least within IVY SCHOOLS. (This is the most important thing what I learned after attending TWO Schools.)

2. I REALLY REALLY recommend to choose school that has SMALL NUMBER OF STUDENTS!!!!
IVY Schools can be divided into TWO categories- School of  SMALL NUMBER OF STUDENTS and school of LARGE NUMBER OF STUDENTS.
PRINCETON, CORNELL, MIT are the school of SMALL NUMBER OF STUDENTS(20~30 students/year)
GSD, YALE, UPENN, COUMBIA are the school of LARGE NUMBER OF STUDENTS.(60~80 students/year)
I realized this is SUPER IMPORTANT!!! IF you are admitted both to School of  SMALL NUMBER OF STUDENTS and school of LARGE NUMBER OF STUDENTS, YOU MUST GO TO SMALL NUMBER SCHOOL!!! If I were admitted to GSD, YALE and PRINCETON I will definitely choose PRINCETON without slightest hesitation.(Actually PRINCETON is the most difficult school to be admitted). If I admitted to GSD, YALE, CORNELL I will definitely choose CORNELL without slightest hesitation. MIT is also the same. The reason School of  SMALL NUMBER OF STUDENTS are better is simple. They don't only offer much more money than other schools but there are much more opportunity of getting scholarship and school financial aid while attending the school because there are few students in one year. And also studio atmosphere and class atmosphere is much better than schools of large number of students. I am now attending one of the school of SMALL NUMBER OF STUDENTS and this is really really important thing. And lastly the area of your space in the studio is much larger than that of large number schools. The environment of the studio is REALLY REALLY important because you are going to sit in the studio all day for 3years. If there are a large number of students in the studio your space will be really small like a henhouse. Trust me. And also it's really noisy and boisterous. You need to spend a lot of time and wait for a long time to use school facilities if there are a lot of students. Anyway there are so many reasons why small number of students are much better than large number of students. TRUST ME!!!

In conclusion the KEY POINT IS:
1) CHOOSE THE SCHOOL THAT OFFER YOU MORE MONEY!!!! DO NOT BE BLINDED BY SCHOOL NAME!!!! IVY SCHOOLS ARE ALL THE SAME!!!
NEVER CHOOSE THE SCHOOL THAT DO NOT OFFER ANY MONEY!!!!<-- THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING
2) CHOOSE THE SCHOOL THAT HAS SMALL NUMBER OF STUDENTS!!!!
3) GOOD SCHOOL OR GOOD INSTRUCTOR NEVER MAKES YOUR PORTFOLIO BETTER!!! IT'S ALL UP TO YOU!! Most famous architectural firms are composed of employees with several different schools. NOT ONLY IVY schools, NOT only certain schools!! 
I really hope you guys make the right decision. NEVER BE BLINDED TO SCHOOL NAME such as HARVARD or PRINCETON or YALE. School name doesn't make any difference at least in the architectural field when getting the job. Just consider the money(At least withing IVY schools!!! $300,000 for 3year architecture school is crazy!!!)
DO NOT Get me wrong. I am not saying certian schools are good or bad. IVY League schools are all good schools. I am just giving you a really important and helpful tips for choosing archtiecture graduate schools.

Mar 6, 16 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@londonfog have tou completed your studies in the US? You mention that you are international. What are the real chances graduating from an IVY and getting a working visa that guide you to green card? I have heard that the immigration rules are getting stricter and stricter every year. In my eyes this means that those are export degrees. We get your money and then we deport you. Please I would be grateful if you could tell me your experience with the immigration office!

Mar 7, 16 5:17 am  · 
 · 
AstridCam

@international_applicant that is a great question to ask. I am international here, my degree is from Peru, I moved to the US about two years ago but  I already have a green card because of my family. I believe with your experience and education, after you're done with your masters degree you can apply for a work visa, no doubt. Rules ARE getting more strict, but you should look into what possibilities you have of staying here. Some people don't want to stay in the U.S. but either they go back to their countries or go to other countries where they are offered great jobs.  

Mar 7, 16 10:03 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@astridcam if I was sure that I would get a working visa leading ti green card maybe I would bother paying all to cost of attendance for.GSD. I mean use parents savings. But I have to be sure that this kind of money will pay off. If I stay in the US, even if the circumstances are not the best financially, it is way better than europe. That is the original root of my question.

Mar 7, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
londonfog

@international_applicant 

You are right. Most of international students do not get the job after graduation and go back to their country. Some find the job in Europe. As you mentioned  immigration rules are getting stricter and stricter every year. This is 100% true. It is getting much more difficult for international student to get the job in the U.S. regardless of the economy in the U.S. and regardless of your ability of design. If I had known that HARVARD and other IVY schools never guarantee good jobs and working VISA, I would have never come to the U.S. and spend so much money!! This why I emphasize international students to choose only the school that offers a lot of money!! I am receiving more than $20,000/ year but the tuition is still much higher than universities in my country. Even the facilities are better in mu country.  I know that it doesn't make sense to directly compare universities in other countries but the tuition of U.S. universities are really crazy. If HARVARD or other IVY schools guaranteed even to some degree to get good jobs or working VISA, I would have never written this. When I was in GSD I saw so many students that chose GSD with no financial aid or scholarships. Most of them were offered $10,000~half tuition from other really good schools such as Cornell, MIT, Upenn, Berkeley etc.... So did I. They all regretted choosing GSD with no financial offer. I don't have yet much experience with the immigration office but as I mentioned most of international students don't get jobs or working VISA and go back to their country spending $$$$$ in the U.S. Only really really small number of international students get good jobs and their firms help to get the working VISA.

BUT MOST OF INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY SPEND $$$$$$$$$$ IN THE USA WHILE ATTENDING SO EXPENSIVE SCHOOLS AND DO NOT GE JOBS AND ARE DEPORTED TO THEIR COUNTRY!! THIS IS THE TRUTH.

SO CHOOSE THE SCHOOL THAT OFFER YOU MONEY. NEVER CHOOSE SCHOOL THAT DOES NOT GIVE YOU ANY MONEY!!

This is just my opinion :

Princeton, MIT, CORNELL are the schools that usually offer a lot of money because thy only admit 20~30 students a year. As there are small number of students the studio environment is super good in these schools. I do not about schools in the WEST but I heard Berkeley is better than most of IVY schools. So I strongly recommend if you are admitted one of these schools with $$ you must choose these schools. Actually I am now attending one of these schools.

Mar 7, 16 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
AstridCam

@international_applicant It is true, you want to make the smarter choice financially. As a permanent resident in the US I am eligible for FAFSA (federal loans) and even private ones. I did the math, and would be spending more (not incredibly more, but more nevertheless) by choosing GSD. However, unlike most students in the US I do not have a debt from Undergraduate studies. I did my undergrad in Peru and it was all paid by my parents (and it was not nearly as expensive as here in the US) so I would start with a blank slate. I am still waiting for other universities to send me their financial aid package but I'm pretty much leaning towards GSD. I know nothing guarantees a good job, no matter what institution you list of your resume. It depends on who you are, the quality of your job, and ultimately who you know... I am aware of it. I guess I've come to terms with the fact that it will probably be a long way until I make enough money to live "comfortably" especially with this economy, but I am okay with it. That's my choice, probably it differs from other people's circumstances. I decided I wanted to do Architecture regardless of anything, and I know GSD has a lot of things that would help me follow my passion. Sure, I might live paycheck to paycheck after graduation and still drive an old car, but as long as I get to do what I love and hopefully have enough to pay my bills, I am okay with it. One has to begin somewhere. 

That's how I see it. Again, it might be completely different from what others applicants think, and it might not be the smartest choice. But I didn't come all the way from South America, where I could live very comfortable, to not be willing to take on risks. This is a financial risk, but one that I consider I want to do. It could also be that I'm younger (24) and that maybe I am not as consolidated as other applicants. 

My opinion, just that.

Mar 8, 16 10:01 am  · 
 · 
michel-p

It seems true.

Mar 8, 16 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: