won and done williams

This one could be a challenge (or not).

Mar 5, 16 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

I believe so.

Mar 5, 16 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

The online menu doesn't have prices, so I can't be sure of the milkshake price... But the neon gave it away.

Mar 5, 16 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

LOL I wondered if that would make it too easy. Not one of Armet and Davis's finest, but probably most recognizable. 

Mar 5, 16 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

doing my best to stump Marc....I cropped a wide angle image to make it more abstract...

Mar 5, 16 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

Bilbao 

Mar 5, 16 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

from my side of the country, obviously.

Mar 5, 16 9:26 pm  · 
 · 

Guessing Neutra, but the signs of occupation by children is throwing me off.

Mar 5, 16 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

what? people can't live in these designs....;)

is that cork flooring?

Mar 5, 16 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

closer. w/neutra connect. Olaf yes cork.

Mar 5, 16 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

Close, but younger. a few years younger than Neutra too. 

Mar 5, 16 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

But older than this.

Mar 5, 16 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

@orhan,

raphael soriano, lipetz house

didn't know at first - did a little research

Mar 6, 16 2:16 am  · 
 · 

Nice work Midlander. Now I'm stumped by the altar for book burning, time to poke around a bit.

Mar 6, 16 8:26 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

btw, Marc was right on Bilbao......the cork flooring is a hard sell these days but makes perfect since for wet areas - Falling Water's bathrooms have cork flooring.......now on to Orhans next image.

Mar 6, 16 8:46 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Orhan, is the last one a Case Study house?

?

Mar 6, 16 9:38 am  · 
 · 

Olaf it wasn't a case study house but it went to Paris in 1937 for International Architecture Exhibition and helped Soriano to win the Prix de Rome.

Raphael Soriano is also closer to home for me since he left Rhodes Island at an earlier age and came to America where he managed to study architecture. At the last stage of his life, he was given refuge by Cal Poly Pomona. He left a lot of his drawings to their archives. He was a very flamboyant person. He also designed Julius Shulman's house now restored ( I have some beautiful stories about that directly from Julius but not now.)
He had a somewhat influence on Frank Gehry to become an architect when Gehry's ceramics teacher at USC Glen Lukens took him to the construction site of his house designed by Soriano who was there working along with the workers. Gehry was impressed and inspired by RS to study architecture that day.
Soriano was close to Schindler and Neutra for he worked in their offices, specially Neutra's VDL House studio along with Gregory Ain and other talented young architects.
Here are lectures Soriano gave at SCI Arc back in 1977. 
Obviously, I was very fond of Soriano and inspired by him as well, while studying architecture, freshly transplanted to LA from a place not too far from Rhodes.

Mar 6, 16 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

ah...should of started with him and found the house. thank you for the info. Rhodes also is real nice, was there about 8 years ago.

we'll stay in your side of the country -

Mar 6, 16 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Eric Owen Moss?

Mar 6, 16 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

no.

Mar 6, 16 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

Drat! 

Mar 6, 16 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

hint: they were interviewed and featured on an archinect podcast

Mar 6, 16 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

This one might be too easy...we did a cork floor what about a leather ceiling?

Mar 6, 16 10:33 pm  · 
 · 

Still trying to process Olafs image, ain't got time for bachelor pads.

Mar 6, 16 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

leather ceiling above a shower, sounds like a bad idea........plan looks organic Carrera, is that something built in the 60's?

Mar 7, 16 6:41 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Thought Marc had it, you're about 10 years off

Mar 7, 16 7:54 am  · 
 · 

I got it alright. 

I'm curious what the ceilings look like in the other bathrooms on the property.

Mar 7, 16 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Don't know...Pretty persnickety bunch running the place, they won’t let you pee….this is the only one I saw…the Brick House was closed, seems they close in the winter and when they came back last spring they opened it up to find a scene from Doctor Zhivago only it was the mold version from a roof leak that went on all winter. Nothing in the Studio, suppose Phil just peed on the building outside, which was exactly what I was thinking when I got to that part of the 3 hour tour.

Mar 7, 16 9:46 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

glass house, phillip johnson?

Mar 7, 16 9:49 am  · 
 · 

I now have an image of interns telling stories about how they snuck into that bathroom and used the toilet- like rebel preservationists.

Mar 7, 16 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Olaf - Correct, was 1949.

Marc…funny thing about those preservationist is you were warned repeatedly never to touch anything, I was surprised they let us walk on the brick floors…have a bad hip and was admonished when I tried to sit and rest on a stone wall…the same preservationist that are horrified if someone attempts to touch the Fortuny Fabric walls in the Brick House…yet didn’t seem bothered at all by the fact that they destroyed it.

Mar 7, 16 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Just wanted to add, if you don’t mind the digression…I think Philip turned the estate over to the wrong people…they treat it like a fragile archeological dig, when what it is, is the story of an American architect…his playful experimentation…if it were possible, this and other sites should be turned over to The AIA Trust as a place to teach about architecture…the life and times of architects, the history of architecture….more than the preservation of artifacts….might just be New Canaan Docent DNA because I didn’t get that same feel at Fallingwater.

Mar 7, 16 11:00 am  · 
 · 

Interesting observation.

Mar 7, 16 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Olaf:

Steve Ehrlich - Robertson Blvd.

Mar 7, 16 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

My turn.  :)

Mar 7, 16 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

san giorgio maggiore

Mar 7, 16 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

EKE you are correct.

Mar 7, 16 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

JLC-1, bingo!  You know your Palladio.

Regarding the Ehrlich building... Steve is a friend, and I drive past it all the time.

Mar 7, 16 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

.northwest

cool EKE, so you hang out with non-traditional architects?

Mar 7, 16 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Holl. st. Ignatius?

Mar 7, 16 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

yessir.

Mar 7, 16 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

Next

Mar 7, 16 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

"cool EKE, so you hang out with non-traditional architects?"

Of course!  This is LA.  It would be pretty lonely if I only hug out with classical architects. :)

Mar 8, 16 9:27 am  · 
 · 

It is a museum space, but not that one.

Mar 8, 16 10:05 am  · 
 · 

Quondam gets the bone!

Mar 8, 16 10:37 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

that be called cheatin'

Mar 8, 16 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Woah, had no idea about the temporary MoMA space.  Very cool history.

Mar 15, 16 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

not interior, but anyone know?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/68/5d/61/685d61a47e631a12cef4156a62cf2557.jpg

Oct 9, 19 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

LAX Theme Building

Oct 10, 19 12:53 am  · 
 · 

Posting or no?

Oct 11, 19 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

he had a day or two...your turn, go!

Oct 11, 19 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

Next up... 

Oct 12, 19 12:32 am  · 
 · 
Happy Anarchy

is it in Venice, Italy? has that look

Oct 12, 19 12:44 am  · 
 · 

North of there...

Oct 12, 19 5:33 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Sorry!  Kind of slow on the uptake here...

Oct 12, 19 12:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: