Archinect
anchor

Seeking Opinions From Architects on Graduate Planning Schools

Brittain

I know it's a testy topic, but I'm giving it a shot anyways. You all work in and around planning to some extent -- what are you impressions?

I graduated last May with a BA in Anthropology from UNC Asheville, as well as about 30k debt (mostly from earlier school) and I got into the planning programs at the following:

UGA -- Environmental Planning and Design
Idaho -- Bioregional Planning and Community Design
Cornell -- Regional Planning
UNC -- City and Regional Planning
Rutgers -- City and Regional Planning

Each of these has its own focus/unique pros/cons. For instance, Idaho's program is interdisciplinary rather than operating under the departments of public policy or architecture. UGA's includes studio design work, etc.

My broad-stroke career plan is to work in international planning around conservation, then a PhD at UGA's ICON program  (Integrative Conservation and Anthro/Ecology/Geography -- you get to pick), but eventually bring my experience back home to Western NC and do rural environmental planning locally.

I know I'm casting a wide net, but just was hoping for some feedback from you all, be it on planning in general, these schools in general, the programs in particular, etc. I posted a similar thing on Cyburbia's forums, but they're a bit less active, and I like variety of opinion.

Cheers!

Mar 3, 16 7:05 pm
Brittain

Mar 5, 16 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
TED

I would question how these schools would provide any incite to international planning around conservation.  Idaho?  International?  something is not correct in that equation.  For some of these schools to use the word 'City' in the title of their programmes is a bit of an oxymoron. City Planning in Georgia?

Selection of a grad school should consider the research and researchers presently undertaking by leading staff if it is informing the curricullum.  If in the end you wish to live in NC, go to UNC and build lots of great networks as you learn - if you wish to undertake a PhD at your next Uni, look at the potential supervisors and the work they are presently undertaking. On my 'A' list would be UC Berkley and Columbia - their research is making a difference.

Mar 6, 16 8:17 am  · 
 · 
legopiece

If you want to be a planner there is no need for a degree. Planners are just people that went to architecture school and decided to veer away from being part of the production team.

Mar 6, 16 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Brittain

Thank you both for the replies.

@TED The UGA degree doesn't have "city" in the name. Anyways, I think that "bioregional" and "community design" are perfectly relevant to development in many many areas around the world, especially considering the plethora of environmental and ecological crises facing us. It seems to me that planning and conservation are like two sides of the same coin. Idaho might have domestic rural environmental planning in mind, but I see no reason the principles -- assisted by social science -- can't be translated internationally. I have heard, however, some warnings about networking and internships in some of these smaller towns.

@Lego Not sure I'm buying that. What about all the population, geography, social science kinda stuff? My surveys of the M.Arch programs indicated that they have basically none of that -- though I admit it's been a few months since I did so.

Mar 6, 16 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
legopiece

You are a resourceful bright person, I'm sure you can do some self education on your own.  With all the free college courses available, and not to mention the free local library.   you can do it.   while doing my degree, I read a ton of books on city and regional planning, also did take a lot more city and regional planning courses, the result of all that  learning? I worked in arch offices, where  one person was the designated planner for an entire department,  I could easily do that job.  Just have some confidence in yourself.  Seriously though, becoming a planner in Architecture you'll play the regular intern role for a few years, then you will have to rub elbows with the right people and Presto! you are a planner.  good luck.

Mar 19, 16 10:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: