Archinect
anchor

struggling in architecture!!!!

archi94

Hello guys !!

I'm student in architecture, and im in  my 3rd year..i do  like what im studying and I'm very proud of the knowledge that i have gained from this course, but i'm always asking myself am i suited for architecture course ? am i a good architecture student ? i mean sometimes i feel that I'm controlling the situation and i'm now able to do whatever the project is about but sometimes i feel hopeless, just like if i know nothing in architecture.

My questions to you guys are do you feel the same things ? and in which phase in your course did you feel  as student " you are ": you were that you are controlling the situation, and you are good at what u do?

thank you guys!

Feb 19, 16 2:38 pm
null pointer

get a therapist.

this is not a mental health forum.

Feb 19, 16 4:35 pm  · 
archi94

thank you buddy, i appreciated your answer :)

Feb 19, 16 4:45 pm  · 
1  · 
Honestly, it wasn't a blowoff answer. I'm not afraid to say I go to one. Talk it out with someone that isn't biased, and knows how to ask the right questions to make you think it out and decide what you want.

Also, nothing worth having comes easy. This is why I'm assuming my horrible dating life will lead to a fantastic wife, but I digress.
Feb 19, 16 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My graduate school had a full time therapist where the students could seek mental help for free by appointment... and students took mega use of the opportunity.

Feb 19, 16 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
archi94

I know null pointer's answer has nothing to do with my question! my  answer to him was like " never mind, thank you for your rude answer ". Anyway guys, i hope someone will give me a convincing response.

Feb 19, 16 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

advice remains the same - get out now - there are better ways to make a living - life is too short to be miserable.

Feb 19, 16 5:31 pm  · 
1  · 
3tk

I think that's a normal part of growing up - if your college isn't teaching you that you're not good at everything it's failing you.  That is to say, you should fail at some things.  Ask the faculty members that both work and teach to sit down for a conversation.  They should be the best at being able to discuss what you're doing well in school and how you might think about a career moving beyond college (or not).

I've had plenty of discussions like that with students - for many their interest in architecture could (and have been) pursued in other fields.  Some of these students stayed in the major, others switched.  I like to think that ultimately it didn't matter, though design programs do have a different way of teaching than other fields that i feel is good.

Feb 19, 16 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

will power and drink. somedays i know nothing and other days i know everything.....therapist or philosophy and drugs, the latter will make you a better architect

Feb 19, 16 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@sanas

Nothing comes without self doubts and pain.

i feel hopeless, just like if i know nothing in architecture

No one knows nothing in architecture... and the one who does he knows how far he is form knowing anything in architecture 

Feb 19, 16 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Architecture is tough.  Every project brings with it new challenges and uncertainties.   Do you expect to be good like Zumthor already?  You're still in university.  Most architects don't get established until they're 50.  Everyone learns at their own pace so don't try and compare yourself with others or your classmates. 

I've questioned myself numerous times during uni but looking back, I learnt most and pushed myself harder during setbacks and such moments.  Embrace it as an opportunity to improve yourself.  It is impossible to know everything in architecture.  All you can learn is to take on each challenge, learn and give it your best.

Read the book 'Elite Mindset'

Feb 19, 16 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

If you are unable to handle architecture school, you may not be able to handle the profession.

Feb 19, 16 10:32 pm  · 
1  · 
ArchNyen

Just learn and have fun in school while you can. A few more years and you'll be done with architecture school, hang in there and try to accomplish something in your wimpy life. If your feeling hopeless, learn from it and bounce back. You can take crits personally or as a grain of salt, it can build thick skin and/or character, your choice.  

Give us an example or the reason why you feel hopeless. We cant give you any good suggestions if you are being vague. and do not spare the details, archinecters love them.

Feb 19, 16 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
archi94

thanks you guys for all your advice !!

@ArchNyen

i meant by hopeless, just like having some doubts or being afraid.. but not alwaaaays

anyway i really love what i do it's just sometimes, some bad thoughts disturbs me :p

Feb 20, 16 6:01 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Your being vague again. Bad thoughts such as? And have doubts and being afraid of?

Feb 20, 16 7:51 am  · 
 · 
archi94

@ ArchNyen

bad thoughts like :  if i will be a good architect in the future or not ? or am i in the right path or not.. questioning .. and this happens when i got a grade that i'm not proud of, but when i got a good grade i feel comfortable. It's like every time i don't get a good grade i'm frustrated.

Hope u understand what i want to say

Feb 20, 16 8:01 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Really? Is grades the main thing that is making you feel down and hopeless. Worry more about paying back your student loans than a simple mark from a professor heheh. No one, especially the Employees, care about your grades, they care more about your portfolio. Spend more time on building your portfolio and less time crying over a B+. 

Feb 20, 16 8:22 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

grades mean nothing unless you want to be in Academia all the time.

I guess you never heard the often repeated expression in the US on architecture students:

A students become Academics.

B students become Designers.

C students become the Boss.

Will power.  

Feb 20, 16 9:14 am  · 
 · 
I graduated last year and had the same thoughts during my third year of architecture school and talking to a lot of other architects many go through the same thing around this point in your education.

Remember why you got into the profession and if you feel that reason is still valid keep going. Also consider what it would mean financially and academically if you decide not to pursue architecture (student loans are very real and they're a bitch.)

Also you can still get an architecture degree and pursue other design careers. I have friends who do interior design, one did furniture design, and I even had a friend who graduated and works in shoe design for Nike. Your degree doesn't have to be a one trick pony.

Last advice is I've realized that I've learned better in my little time in the profession than in school. I haven't been in the profession long but people above are right when they say your prime won't come until your 50s because there is so much to learn and that growth is difficult because of the amount of knowledge there is to learn. It really is an old mans profession in that sense.

Hope that helps.
Feb 20, 16 9:59 am  · 
 · 

hi sanas. your reality check period is healthy.  i am not totally sure whether being a good student assures you of a great/promising career.  your grades and your diploma does not either.  what you can focus on is building a positive attitude, relentless curiosity, passion for truth and solid convincing skill set may help you in the long run.

Feb 21, 16 9:50 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Maxim: Such bullshit on the 50 year old thing. Institutional controls at their best.

Please provide examples of firms started by people older than 50.

Feb 22, 16 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Null Pointer does it matter? I'm not saying as soon as you hit 50 the flood gates of Architecture heaven will grant eternal knowledge to you! The point was that you are constantly learning in this field even after graduation that the person in the who started the thread is worried about his 3rd year in architecture when there is plenty of time for him to grow! And you are right, people start firms younger but even after starting a firm you are still learning. If it's not about how to build then it's about the business itself. You missed the entire point of the post my friend.
Feb 22, 16 11:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: