Archinect
anchor

A route with an MArch vs BS Arch?

Melondaisy

I will be completing my degree this year with a BS in Architectural Studies and I have the option to continue on to grad school to get a Masters in Architecture or jump right into the work force (if I can find a job) but I'm very torn about what route I'd like to go. 

I fear going down the route of MArch will put me in debt (I've calculated a rough estimate of 37,000$). The only reason I'd go down this route would be to find better job prospects and a higher pay, but if the pay difference isn't too different would that even be beneficial if the extra pay would be used just to pay off the debts? (The only information I have in regard to salary is from this chart:)

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Master_of_Architecture_(MArch)/Salary

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Bachelor_of_Science_(BS_%2f_BSc)%2c_Architecture/Salary

I am not entirely passionate about architecture and feel that it's not something I'd like to devote my entire life to (and going to college for something like graphic art was out of the question in my situation). I'm in love with the idea of creating spaces, but I seem to be more in love with the unrealistic digital realm than physical buildings. Thus, I'm not looking to get a license, what worth would it be if I ended up in a different career?  I'd like to use my degree to eventually go down different design-heavy career paths but I don't know how something like that would be done, I've always been taught that you can only have a job in what you've studied for now-a-days. Maybe I am wrong, but I sure am anxious. The most joy I had involving architecture and in previous internships was the rendering, and on my own, making environments that could only exist in movies or video games, I can't stand building physical models though.

Given that the BS AS isn't even accredited I don't know if I'd be worth anything for any job other than flipping burgers or if I could jump into another design-related job with such a background... It sounds like you can't get anywhere very long without an MArch.

My ultimate salary wouldn't matter heavily to me, I just don't want to be living the fear of being up to my eyes in debt, as long as I'm making enough to live comfortably alone and afford a nice laptop for my own projects. None the less, I'm very much lost.

Feb 17, 16 11:21 am
Driko

I would avoid architecture if you are "not really passionate" about it. There are long hours and little pay/compensation across most if not all firms. I was at the same spot you were at and just about to start my way into grad school. I ran all the calculations and came to the conclusion that i would be in debt for 10 years after obtaining my M.Arch given that i was putting anywhere from 15-20% of an income around 45k a year (if you get lucky to earn that straight out of grad school in architecture). To opt out of grad school was such a huge relief but i didn't have a back up plan. I found my way into an engineering company where we rarely stay late (often leave early) low stress environment with positive people making around the same amount if i were to get my M.Arch.  also most of my peers who didn't jump the gun on grad school are all working in great fields where they are using their B.S. Arch degree.

I think that in school you come to the conclusion that you must get a M.Arch to even get noticed for a full time permanent position because the only types of jobs you ever hear about are the Architecture jobs and the Architecture firms. 

Don't go to grad school because you will have to live with that debt and wasted time if you have no interest in becoming licensed. Student Debt is not a debt you can declare bankruptcy on and will probably stay in your hands for awhile until policy makers say enough is enough. But all that is political and speculative. So expect to pay it and expect to be in debt for roughly 10 years so you can start making some sort of money when you are in your early 30's making a salary some business or engineer kid will make right out of school.(some personal angst i had)

Start applying to internships and jobs that interest you in what ever field now. Find any part time full time work that you can to hold you over. It most likely will take some time to find a full time permanent position that you are satisfied with. Don't get discouraged when you don't hear back from companies/firms. its the end of the school year and there are fresh grads all fighting for the same jobs. I found that most people will find work in august (based on the trend i saw with call backs, interviews, and friends who were also hunting for work). 

anyways i could rant forever. but just go with your gut and start your new career path today. 

Feb 17, 16 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
AceOfCascadia

If you are intending to become a licensed architect, then you have to have a professional degree. Unfortunately, BSArch degrees do not count. If you don't plan on becoming licensed, then don't bother with a masters until you want to specialize in something or have a better direction re: architecture or even another design related field.

If you plan on becoming licensed, my advice to you currently would be to go work for a couple of years and get some of your current debt paid down and also begin accruing IDP hours. Right now there is so much work out there being done that someone should be able to pay you a proper salary. Granted, the type of firm that will take you depends on your portfolio.

After a few years, I'd go back and get your masters so you can then market yourself after that as someone who simply needs to take the tests to get licensed and then you'll be licensed. When it comes to being paid more, it's not that graduate students make more money; it's that those who have the ability to become licensed architects are much more desirable because they will be greater assets to a company for a number of reasons, including technical knowledge and also legal liability.

Feb 17, 16 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Sounds like you are more interested in doing something design related such as graphic or industrial or environmental/exhibit / digital design such as UX/UI I would not waste your time on more architecture school, but go move into one these lateral fields you enjoy more and build up work experience. Your BS arch will get you into any of those jobs if you tailor your portfolio well and once you start to get professional experience no one will ever care as long as you do the work well. So I would say just go pursue the design field you want after and skip the M.arch and maybe go back for more school later on if you want. If you work outside of architecture you will probably make more than with an M.arch anyway.

Feb 17, 16 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: