Archinect
anchor

UPenn MLA recorded interview questions

mwilliam

Anyone done these before? I'm used to regular interviews, and can articulate my interests pretty well in a live setting. But the idea of recording answers to questions is triggering some of the old performance anxiety (like leaving a voicemail). Anyone know what to expect? How big of a deal/how much should I worry about this?

Thanks!

Feb 1, 16 2:02 pm
mayflower_28

Hi,

I  got a call for a recorded video interview too. Apparently we are given one minute to answer each of the five questions. Not able to find anything online regarding what to expect, apart from your post. 

Feb 3, 16 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday about the costs of Ivy schools vs State schools for STEM students. Seems that for the very slight salary difference over career a University of Pennsylvania engineering student paying full fare tuition would have to work 150 years to make-up for the difference in costs compared to an in-state student at Texas A&M. And I doubt if Texas A&M plays the horse's ass by making student applicants jump through video hoops.

Feb 3, 16 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
hvr1

Hello. Anybody able to shed some light on this for me? Any kind of inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Feb 13, 16 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Koww

What are the questions?

Feb 13, 16 11:22 am  · 
 · 
hvr1

Anybody here already done with this? Have same questions as mwilliam and koww. Thank you

Feb 13, 16 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Octopuss

1 year later, can anybody comment on what this video interview was like? I can't even figure out if it is required or not... 

Jan 10, 17 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
ritumalhotra

Pl shed some light on video interview questions for Penndesign MLA/MUP. Is it necessary to do this ?

Dec 29, 17 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
vitafusion

Ok I did the video interview for penndesign and got accepted. Some info: 

you have to log in on applyweb. once you submit your app you get an "invite" to a video interview which is "optional". do it, but prepare for it. because basically the dean will have a pre-recorded video question, and then once he's done speaking the camera automatically starts and you're recorded. so if you sit there and say nothing that would be bad.  

the questions are basic and predictable. they are generated randomly so you don't know which one you'll get exactly, but since you only have one minute to answer AND no time AT ALL to think, you shoul dhave your answer clearly in your head. 

questions: 

-why do you want to study landscape architecture

-what landscape architects do you like, what have you read about it 

-what is the role of landscape in our society 

-what piece in your portfolio are you most proud of 

-why do you want to pursue a masters at penn specifically 

So do your research about the school and pick the points in your CV and portfolio that you want to emphasize and talk about those points. one minute per answer really isn't a lot of time to speak so make it count. 

Mar 3, 18 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
salonee.balakrishnan

Thank you!

Jan 17, 19 10:34 am  · 
 · 
msomebody

Is it one entire minute for me to speak, or does it include the question prompt as well?

Jan 11, 21 8:47 am  · 
 · 
ji.inc

I just did the UPenn MLA video interview for 2020. Had prepped for it using the above info but they asked different questions:

1) Why do you want to study landscape architecture?

2) What is a landscape you like?

3) What do you think is meant by the expression "creative process"?

4) What sorts of projects are you interested in working on?

5) What do you think you will be able to achieve with an MLA from UPenn?

Jan 17, 20 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
claudbpeck

Hi all, 2021 applicant to the MLA program here. Questions 1, 3, and 4 were the same for my video interview. They also asked why are you interested in the MLA program at Penn and what does landscape architecture mean to you.

Jan 16, 22 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
redribbon

i was accepted without even doing it so its not fully necessary.

Mar 4, 21 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: