Archinect
anchor

Laughable Architectural Office

BulgarBlogger

This is what happens when you partner a bad licensed architect with a four year degree and a licensed Ph.D in Architecture... 

https://www.designrarchitects.com/

Jan 27, 16 5:34 pm
JLC-1

for the real housewives.....holy shit....and the website, my eyes!!!

Jan 27, 16 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I'm sure they have copyright protection

Jan 27, 16 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Yawn. I've seen worse.
Jan 27, 16 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

Jan 27, 16 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

What a creative company name.

Jan 27, 16 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

These guys are going to give Charles R. Schwartzapfel a run for his money.

Jan 27, 16 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

oh my god. how many degrees does one guy need to design awkward suburban home additions?

Jan 27, 16 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

Suddenly I don't feel so bitter about some of my former employers.

Jan 27, 16 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

When it comes to shear petty, snide, debutante-style cattiness, you can't beat a group of architects critiquing another architect's work!!!

Jan 27, 16 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

-

Jan 27, 16 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'm with geezertect, and am willing to give these guys a pass on everything except the one calling himself "Doctor."  Come on... that's just too much.

Jan 27, 16 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Why don't my pics stay on here...?

Jan 27, 16 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

It was Al bundy saying "im blind"

Jan 27, 16 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Anything with Al Bundy is okay in my book.

Jan 27, 16 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Is he board certified though? Doubt it. 

Jan 27, 16 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

"Walter's devotion to his profession qualified him for early permission to take the architectural registration exam after graduating with a Bachelors of Science in Architectural Engineering Technology (BSAET) and completing his internship..."

Jan 27, 16 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

"Walter's devotion to his profession qualified him for early permission to take the architectural registration exam after graduating with a Bachelors of Science in Architectural Engineering Technology (BSAET) and completing his internship..."

wtf?

Jan 27, 16 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

Miles,

Didn't you or your father have some responsibility in creating Schwartzapfel ?

Jan 28, 16 3:15 am  · 
 · 

Norman Jaffe did some good stuff. No argument there.

Schwartzapfel own work is well....for some reason doesn't seem to compare. 

Jan 28, 16 3:29 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

love his queen ann English tutor house!

Jan 28, 16 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I pray every night before I go to sleep that my website doesn't end up as a thread in the forum on Archinect.

Jan 28, 16 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
shalinimak

Jesus fuck.

I think someone had a mental breakdown during the making of that website and panicked .

Jan 28, 16 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Amen, EKE.  We all chuckle at stuff we happen to run across.  But to start a thread with a nasty title and post a weblink?  Really?

Jan 28, 16 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

citizen... I'm not being catty... I'm actually insulting these people because they are shaming this goddamn profession! Who gets a Ph.D. in architecture and allows their website to look so bad? What kind of doctor partners up a guy so professionally mediocre?

Jan 28, 16 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

I soooooo want to see eke's website now.

come on, you can share with us.

Jan 28, 16 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Architecture firm websites are surprisingly bad.  I've never understood why. 

Well, other than we didn't sign up to be web designers.... or lawyers.... or business managers... or accountants... or baby sitters. 

Jan 28, 16 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you would think we would understand the value of hiring a design professional rather than expecting free work from designers though

Jan 28, 16 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
chessterfish

I've seen worse.  Some of the big name firms also have this tendency to throw in things that you can't view if your browser is disabling scripting or isn't up to date etc.  It seems unfair to just single out one practice website when ~80% (imo) of the sites out there are bad.

Jan 28, 16 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Let's discuss what is actually bad about the website-

Forget navigation and so on.

1) The design is cheesy and gimicky -colors, disorganized, in your face, messy

2) The effectiveness of the website in terms of marketing/advertising is based solely on text.. You have no idea what you are looking at until you read the cheesy "shamwow-like" script and captions. The images show a a really badly-designed end product too...

3) Titles and License numbers are generally not bad, but these guys rely on the titles and license numbers rather than their work in order to get new clients... That within itself isn't as bad as the fact that it seems from their work, that that's all they really have to offer... minimum competence (i.e. mediocre professionals)

Check out this guy's archinect profile... 

http://archinect.com/russell

Jan 28, 16 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Also, what's worse, is that as a Ph.D. this guy can teach future generations of bad architects... 

Jan 28, 16 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

I think everybody with a Thumbtack account wins Best of Thumbtack every year.  At least, I have - even though I've never responded to a single lead on there or put any content in my profile.  I never thought about listing it as an award on my website...

Jan 28, 16 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

This is almost as good as watching a Republican Debate for President....

On the other hand, it is good to know the competition.....ya right!

Jan 28, 16 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

According to the website, he has a D.Arch.  That's not the same as a PhD.

Jan 28, 16 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Joe Soda

It looks like Dr. Rosicki does all the actual architecture work, while Walter F. Hyde III uses his valuable social connections in Lindenhurst to secure commissions.

Jan 30, 16 9:42 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Well, he did get to spend three years in Hawaii, that's saying something.

Jan 30, 16 11:06 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

I was browsing that website after a fat j of medical...It was still really bad...maybe worse actually.

Jan 30, 16 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

The website is butt fugly. I might not have a fancy website either. I would imagine they would have done a better job.

Feb 1, 16 2:31 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

squarespace, assholes.

Feb 1, 16 9:13 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

PS, I probably spent 40 hours getting our website up. I devoured the shit out of a CSS book and customized the style sheets from squarespace to match our standards (which prescribe a specific font hierarchy, point size hierarchy, and margins/line spacing for all of our written documents).

If you're an architect, you're a fucking designer. If you don't know what the difference between a sans serif and a serif font, you probably should have chosen a different profession (rather than one that requires that you communicate clearly through drafted documents).

Feb 1, 16 9:18 am  · 
 · 

Years ago there were other bad websites by architects. I remember one showed their office space and the interior was set up like a little "main street" with disney-esque facades on the conference rooms. And one had really soothing music that auto-played.

Personally whatever I think about the appearance of Design R Architects website, it's a far better user experience than DSR's, in my opinion.

Feb 1, 16 10:35 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

DSR's is pretty bad. It's like they forgot that people use tablets and touch interfaces to access the web.

Feb 1, 16 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: