Archinect
anchor

towards a better average

JLC-1

I think for most people it comes down to where is the safest place with the best school for my kids and isn't too far away from my job. Oh and how much can I get when I sell my house.

Exactly! for us, it's up in the mountains of Colorado, 3 hour drive from/to Denver, and the "average" architecture is pretty good..... Happy New Year!

Dec 31, 15 11:26 am  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

What you think is good design is different than what other people think. Since shopping centers and homes are meant to appeal to a broad general audience you get faux Spanish in the southwest and some rehash of colonial everywhere else. It's like the music on the radio it's meant to appeal to the broadest market possible so you don't alienate two thirds of your market by designing for a niche market. Our housing has been resuced to location location location location.

Dec 31, 15 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

^I was in Phoenix in 2004, the mantra was "drive until you qualify", unhealthy and proved wrong.

Dec 31, 15 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

shopping centers and homes are meant to appeal to a broad general audience

Shopping centers are designed to appeal to potential tenants, not shoppers. Housing is designed specifically for niche markets defined by price. Consumer goods and movies are designed for broad general audiences.

Dec 31, 15 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

Potential tenants want it to appeal to shoppers. Thats why hospitality, mall developers and housing developers talk of appealing to millennial lifestyles and in the south west at least, appealing to the Hispanic population. All about reaching the broadest market across multiple age groups. How do we make a housing development for blah income, multiple age groups and not have a bunch of people say hmmm those condos are ugly or that mall is weird, you give them vanilla design that doesn't excite or offend anyone. It's you elevator music for the built environment.

Dec 31, 15 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

Tenants aren't designing buildings for rental income.

WTF is a 'millennial' lifestyle - aside from an age demographic with ever decreasing purchasing power?

Dec 31, 15 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^^Think the elevator music analogy nails it….this country is transfixed on not “offending” anybody, but nobody worries about “annoying” everybody.

As architects we grow up with the hope of changing the world in some way and get our leash’s wrapped around trees needlessly, happens to me often, but as Miles has reminded me more than once, it’s a matter of being a world of one…doing the right thing yourself, regardless of what others do…do good and tune out the static because the static will keep you from doing good.

Dec 31, 15 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: