Archinect
anchor

Big city or small city?

DerekV

What are the pros and cons of being an architect in a big city and a small city? 

Dec 2, 15 11:44 am
Bench

You should probably clarify how you define a big vs. small city, population wise.

Dec 2, 15 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Think it has more to do with the economy of a city, big or small. I know of a small town of 40,000 with two fortune 500 companies that has just 2 architectural firms, both are going gangbusters.

Dec 2, 15 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

@Carrera access to markets isn't restricted by location anymore, but I am guessing those firms are doing a lot of AOR work and less design work. 

we live in a highly globalized world where cities are experiencing a strong rebirth. It's paramount to be in the center of this development as an architect. 

then again, if you're into the whole big car, big house type of lifestyle i'd look elsewhere. 

Dec 2, 15 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ While these firms do stuff for the big corporations it’s the impact these companies have on the little town’s economy that is driving things….agree with the “global” aspect in the sense that if you can get a building type going you can practice almost anywhere. Geography isn’t the only consideration today, if you’re good.

Dec 2, 15 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

small city= more projects, mostly housing design .. urban design, landscape projects 

big city= interior projects, or building extensions or fixtures.. street design maybe.. here you find the large international firms, but your chances are less

Dec 3, 15 11:45 am  · 
 · 
3tk

generally:

small city = every one knows everyone else (for permitting and consulting it can limit your resources and how you work), that can hurt you or help you.  In many ways you can be more relevant to the community at large.

big city = more anonymity, but your circle of friends may be less 'useful' in work and bureaucracy maybe harder to overcome.  The tangential resources are probably better (arts and culture, etc - 'the world comes to you' could be good or bad).

Most firms tend to keep clients locally (less travel, more face-to-face opportunities - i.e. more return on cost of meetings), though the clients may differ.  metropolises tend to have better infrastructure that attracts more companies/clients with farther reach and has a larger concentration of wealth (hence more projects).  There are plenty of exceptions to this where smaller (but generally more academically strong with decent airports) towns have wealth and influence at a scale larger than its population would suggest.

Dec 3, 15 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

collage and university towns tend to be more stable, but big cities offer room to develop a style and specialty, small town architects have to be able to do a wide variety of work and styles.

Dec 3, 15 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: