Archinect
anchor

Extra-curriculars vs Marks

Mr.Splash

Hello, I am a grade 11 student from Canada planning to apply for Architecture programs at University College London, McGill, and Waterloo. Currently, I have an average of around 95, which I will likely maintain for the full year. Also, I was the captain of the basketball team last year and am nearly guaranteed to be again next year. With no participation in other extra curicular activities, I am uncertain on whether I should risk my average by continuing to play the next two years so that I can include it in my University application or solely direct my focus to academics. 

I know for fact that basketball will hinder my goal of ending with a high 90 this year.

My question is, would architecture programs favor a student who is an academic standout or a student who excelled both academically and athletically?

Nov 12, 15 7:28 pm
ivorykeyboard

athletics? lol

brush up on that portfolio. universities don't care about sports unless you're lebron james. in which case, you definitely won't have time for studio. that being said, Andrew Luck majored in architecture at Stanford. 

Nov 12, 15 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Universities typically want someone who has excelled academically while showing leadership in other areas, which can include sports.

That said, you should probably join a volunteer organization and try to attain a leadership position in it. Think Habitat for Humanity, Doctors without borders, Students for Sensible Drug Policy, or the like. This will rate much higher than playing basketball.

Also, if you really want to be an architect, find a local firm and try to intern there over the summer and winter breaks, as much as possible until you graduate. You should probably also get an after-school job, not only to show you can deal with multiple conflicting commitments, but to start conditioning your body and mind for the gruelingly excessive work of architecture schooling and practice. Meanwhile, the $7-10/hourly pay will condition you for what you can expect after graduating with your shiny new Master's degree.

School's want the whole package, and the good part is that even if your parents aren't rich, they will still loan you the obscene amounts of money necessary to attend. Indentured servitude never looked so good!

Nov 12, 15 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

In the States when I was younger we used to joke that the worst basketball players here had Canadian parents. Admissions don't care if you're the captain of a basketball team in Canada. Reallly, the only two who care are Steve Nash and Drake. For real, you chose that over hockey?

With that said, I was an athlete in high school and didn't worry about that hindering my 3.6 gpa, nor am I ashamed to have spent some time in sports instead of studying (because I still got into a fine university that wont defect my search for potential graduate programs). I wasn't the best or most committed athlete though, but I was the smartest, and that's really the most important facet after you get your high school diploma. Lastly, the social skills you develop as the captain of a sports team will be utilized the rest of your life and they're important skills to learn.

One of my best friends growing up was the captain of our high school's basketball team, and got worse grades than you, but was still admitted to University of Wisconsin, which is probably comparable to McGill. Ball out, kid. But put hockey sticks in your kids hands when the time comes.

Nov 13, 15 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

lots of really interesting research regarding success in sports and "success in life."  Not sure how much it matters to university admissions, but I'd play up the leadership and personal development aspects that come with being a captain.  I suspect that many admissions types wouldn't know a basket ball from football.

Nov 13, 15 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: