Archinect
anchor

World Architecture Festival 2015

bmedi

Highlights:

BIG presenting the Vancouver House to the Future Projects Super Jury.

*Not Shown - Kai-Uwe turning into the Hulk, and weightlifting the podium on stage at the Gala.

The critique rooms were much better this year.  Prettier, and the acoustic issues from last year did not seem as present.

Buro Ole Scheeren presenting the Interlace to the Building of the Year Super Jury

It is not often that you can watch a group of 5 respected architects lay some nice critiques to Ole/OMA on stage.   Peter Cook commented (in some strong terms) that that the geometric dogmatism overtook the opporunties for this project.  Even the client was on stage and agreed that originally they saw the form as a bit rigid.

I also heard that in their catergoy crit, the judges were wondering how the designers resolved the mega-columns, i.e. when you have a gigantic round column in the middle of your master bedroom wall.

Tons of great projects and discussions all around.  I am not sure if the crit format is used in similar conventions or biennials, but I enjoy it and find it more relatable.  You don't hear architects talking about large abstract ideas, instead you see how projects respond to larger themes. 

One major theme was client collaboration, as you saw many speakers trying to explain why their projects took on some odd choices.  If they didn't say explicitly, you could tell from their faces that they wanted to blurt out "but that's what the client wanted!!"

Oh yeah, and 5 bottles of wine per table at the gala!

Nov 7, 15 1:05 pm
awaiting_deletion

like to see the Hulk bit

Nov 7, 15 10:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: