Archinect
anchor

Low GRE

swissms_1

Hello all,

Tis the season for anxious graduate school applicants to fret over their "low" GRE scores. The thing is...mine actually are. I received them today and scored 145Q 147V and a 3A. Im applying to Portland State University, University of Oregon, and UC Denver. I also have a 3.3 GPA. Where I shine is in my portfolio and my personal statement. I also think that my letters of rec will be great. I'm an eternal optimist and would like to think that I can get into these programs without retaking the GRE (I should note that Im a very poor optimist....), but I'd like an outside perspective as to whether I should register again in hopes of boosting my score. Time is of the essence here, and I'd have to decide quickly. Any advice is welcome. 

Cheers

Nov 4, 15 9:59 am
ccarry

Check at each school to see if there is a GRE cut off. I know Columbia has a strict Verbal score cut off (I believe it is 150?). If you took the test cold turkey (without any previous studying) I would recommend retaking the test. I took it without any math course work in college and benefited a great deal from the GRE test booklets.  However, you are cutting it pretty close as many of the deadlines are fast approaching. If you are just a poor test taker then retaking the test will most likely not boost your scores significantly.  

Your GPA is solid enough. I would focus less on retaking the test and more on making sure your portfolio is a strong as it can be. Your personal statement is stellar and your letters of recommendation are from valuable sources (not just employers but professors who know you in an academic setting). 

Bottom line. Work with what you have. And know your limitations. 

Nov 4, 15 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

My GRE's were dead average and I got into GaTech, granted my GPA was higher. As long as your scores aren't bad nor a bad GPA, I believe most schools weigh the portfolio the most. Just have a safety school as a backup. 

Nov 4, 15 11:52 am  · 
 · 
matdez6

Hey ccarry, how strict with the verbal score do you think Columbia is? Can you still be considered if you don't have a 150 v?

Nov 4, 15 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Sharky McPeterson

@matdez6

"I know Columbia has a strict Verbal score cut off (I believe it is 150?)."

If the above from ccarry is correct, then no one with a verbal score below 150 would be considered for admittance. How do you think you fared on the reading comprehension portion of the GRE, matdez6?

Nov 4, 15 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
matdez6

Im taking the GRE in 2 weeks. Im just interested in applying to the GSAPP so, i wanted to know what to do in the case i don't get a 150 v.

Nov 4, 15 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

matdex6, GSAPP isn't as good as you think it is, and they also aren't improving in their national rankings anytime soon. But they do value undergraduate rigor in terms of GPA and GRE, for the sake of retaining their academic image. But they're not very selective - they probably have the highest acceptance of any Top 10 graduate school of architecture in the country.

You might think that GSAPP is the perfect fit for your interests, which would be valid. But if you want to work in NYC after graduation, Columbia is actually not the best choice for that. Better off at UVA, UCincy, or UMichigan (public schools), or RISD, Syracuse and UPenn (private schools), because they're significantly cheaper and mostly all of their professors are connected to New York networks.

It's a great idea to live or work in NYC, but not a great idea to study there. Too many distractions for a student, and rightfully so.

Nov 4, 15 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Spoons

GSAPP is fine.  With the school just moving within the top 5 spots for nearly the last decade, I assure you the ranking per year doesn't matter.

Yes, they value GPA and GRE, like every other graduate school.  

As far as being selective or not, no one can say, because they do not release any information about applicant numbers and acceptances.  Anything anyone says in regards to this info is purely speculation.

Nov 4, 15 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
ccarry

This is from the Columbia Admission requirements page. 

A / GRADUATE RECORD EXAM (GRE): A minimum score of 144 (Quantitative) and 153 (Verbal) or above is suggested. GSAPP requires a minimum verbal score of 150 (equivalent to 450 on the old test). Submitted applications with a verbal score below 150 will not be reviewed.

I was just using Columbia as an example. Some schools have stricter score requirements on the GRE and GPA, some don't. What is important is to do research on each school you are considering. Take some time to actually look at the requirements page. 

Nov 5, 15 11:11 am  · 
 · 
martrench

As a current UO student M.arch student, I wouldn't say they really weigh heavily on the GRE scores. Focus more on portfolio. Letters of rec also seemed to precede in hierarchy. Definitely apply, your GPA should counteract the GRE score. The admission staff are also fairly helpful, don't hesitate to shoot them an email!

Good luck!

Nov 10, 15 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
billyguarino

I am in a very similar situation as swissms_1 I got 143 V 145 Q and haven't gotten my essay score back yet, but I am having trouble finding which schools have a minimum and which do not. A lot of schools say they do not have a minimum, but its scary taking their word for it. However, I am planning on banking on the portfolio (undergrad Landscape Architecture), SOP, GPA (3.6), and some great letters of rec. I want to apply to UW, UOregon, UC Berkeley, UTAustin, and then some ivy leagues to see what my chances are (Harvard, Cornell, Princeton and/or Yale) but I'd like to narrow down my current 7/8 schools based on my GRE failure since I really do not want to take that test again if I do not have to. Any recommendations would be awesome!  

Nov 10, 17 1:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: