The Bed Sitting Room

Oct 22, 15 11:37 pm  · 
 · 

^ Meant Fantastic Planet

Oct 23, 15 12:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I still stand by Demolition Man (1993)

I mean... c'mon... can't go wrong with Sly, Snipes, and rant-machine Denis Leary. (also Sandra Bullock)

Oct 23, 15 9:19 am  · 
 · 

^ Meant Fantastic Planet

No you didn't. We all know you're thinking about Raquel Welch in a skin-tight body suit being attacked by giant antibodies.

Oct 23, 15 9:34 am  · 
 · 

^Of Course, that is one of the jewels in the treasury of cinematic images; a compelling amalgam of lighting, direction, acting and set design that has rarely been equaled.

Meant Fantastic Planet not Forbidden Planet although both great films.

Oct 23, 15 10:08 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I know it's tv shows, but Lost in Space and Land of Giants where awesome growing up, and Space:1999 blew my mind.

And a badly made movie that inspired a lot of fantasy, Brainstorm, with Natalie Wood and Christopher Walken. 

Oct 23, 15 10:19 am  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

Speaking of SF TV shows:

The Twilight Zone - the original one, by Rod Serling... although not 100% SF, I have yet to find a matching SF show, except, perhaps, Futurama :)

Oct 23, 15 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Predator?

Love this keep them coming
Oct 23, 15 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

The Man in the White Suit

1984(1956)

Day of the Triffids

Barbarella

Valley of the Gwangi

Oct 23, 15 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sleeper

Rollerball

Death Race 2000

Videodrome

Alien Nation

Oct 23, 15 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

We just watched Europa Report. Very good, a little slow to start, but then suddenly I was totally hooked. Very well-made and nicely-paced, and tidy. Tight and straightforward. But lovely. My 12yo liked it a lot, too!

Oct 23, 15 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Oct 24, 15 12:16 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Running Man!

Oct 24, 15 1:27 am  · 
 · 

Donna, have you and Angus seen Super 8? How about Iron Giant?

Europa Report is a great play on cinema verite and recalls Hitchcock's Lifeboat

Oct 24, 15 9:58 am  · 
 · 
gradschoolaspirant

Snowpiercer is a great film and highly underrated. 

Oct 24, 15 11:05 am  · 
 · 

I'll say here what I also said on FB: Snowpiercer was OK, but overall too silly for me. The exact same premise was done better, IMO, in In Time (the one with Justin Timberlake).

Miles I haven't seen either of those and I've heard Iron Giant is amazing. 

Oct 24, 15 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

Super 8 is brilliant. Good story, great actors, old school monster movie with pathos, depth,  mystery and humor. Iron Giant is a beautiful and moving story told with a blend of computer (for the Iron Giant) and hand (for the people) animation. 

I found Snowpiercer absurd and violent and bailed a few minutes in. Timberland is always fun to watch, even in that silly time movie. 

Oct 24, 15 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

2001 is my favorite movie ever.  I saw it with my parents at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood during its premiere run.  At the time it seemed mysterious and awesome to me.  My appreciation for it has only grown as I've grown older. A masterpiece  

Forbidden Planet is my favorite of the old school 50s sci fi, by far. It's a work of art. 

I also would put my vote in for Children of Men. Such a good movie, on many levels.

Oct 24, 15 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

Just saw What We Do In The Shadows, a mockumentry reality show spoof on a house full of vampires and their day to day problems. Funny stuff.

Oct 25, 15 9:23 am  · 
 · 

2 films from the 80s that are worth seeing:

The Hidden

The Quiet Earth

Oct 25, 15 11:12 am  · 
 · 

Miles, I haven't seen that yet, which surprises me because I loooove Jemaine Clement. 

citizen you mentioned liking Sam Rockwell, who I think is a fantastic actor and usually underutilized; did you see him in the Brad Pitt Jesse James movie? OMG, one of the best movies ever, and I listen to the perfect soundtrack frequently.

I had dinner tonight with a super smart culturally savvy friend who highly recommended a movie called Jodorowsky's Dune; it's a documentary about trying to make a film version of Dune.

Oct 25, 15 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Didn't see the Jesse James movie... though how did you notice Rockwell in the same movie w/ BP?  ;o)

I did see Jodorowsky's Dune; I recommend it highly.  And it makes the 1984 David Lynch version seem even more inadequate than before. 

Oct 26, 15 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^^ (neither super smart nor culturally savvy like Donna's friend ... but I do like a good movie =0)

Oct 26, 15 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

Sam Rockwell has a tattoo of a rooster hanging from a rope. Figure it out?

Oct 26, 15 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I have that same tattoo!

Oct 26, 15 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Since no one has mentioned any Anime:

The plot is kind of iffy and it's quite violent- but it's a gorgeous movie to look at: Akira

Also... Ghost in the shell

Oct 26, 15 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

whoops - already mentioned

Oct 27, 15 12:32 am  · 
 · 

LOL, citizen!

Oct 27, 15 8:58 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

there seems to be rumors that a live action akira is in the works.

of course that rumor has been coming and going for nearly 15 years. 

Oct 27, 15 9:53 am  · 
 · 
citizen

In a studio I took a long time ago with Libeskind, he had us watch Akira, Stalker, Red Desert, Alphaville, Metropolis, and other titles I don't recall off the top.  Some were quite eye-opening, all were dystopic (surprise!).

Watching the films were definitely the very best part of that studio experience.

Oct 27, 15 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

if and when you may have been a kid.................D.A.R.Y.L.

Oct 29, 15 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

also when I was a kid........The Last Starfighter (1984)............movie above was 1985

Oct 29, 15 7:52 pm  · 
 · 

Just watched the first two episodes of Black Mirror last night. Not exactly science fiction, but similar, and OMG so good.

Oct 29, 15 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

Solaris (the original) and Stalker are available for free on Youtube (make sure you activate subtitles button as they are in Russian)

Stalker 1/2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYEfJhkPK7o

Stalker 2/2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUHBgqx8YP8

Solaris 1/2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG9Anstjlro

Solaris 2/2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOGHMmKpASk

To describe these films, I can only quote "Wolfy O'Hare" who wrote a comment here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3SUEWCddsQ

"When I see the world differently, when I experience myself anew, when I see my relationships with others suddenly illuminated and given the most painfully disarming perspectives - then I know I have encountered the best of what art can offer; creativity like this burns the pages, screens and minds..."

Oct 29, 15 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

And "HENRi", a 2011, 20 min. long, low-budget, Sci-fi short film, which I think is unusually good, based on an interesting concept. Worth a try!

For 2001 Space Odyssey lovers, in this film, Keir Dullea (Dave) acts as the voice of HENRi.

https://vimeo.com/61686359

Oct 29, 15 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

Has anyone watched the BBC series Utopia? Overpopulation and conspiracies in the near future. 

Oct 29, 15 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

Sayonara

Japanese sci-fi film starring the first android actor

trailer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFgLcH8eC0

Nov 4, 15 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

Watched episode 3 of Black Mirror last night. Damn, it's brutal.

Nov 5, 15 9:05 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

v

Remember, remember!
    The fifth of November,
    The Gunpowder treason and plot;
    I know of no reason
    Why the Gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot!

Nov 5, 15 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

Black Mirror is fantastic. I feel nauseous after about half the episodes. But in a good, thought-provoking way.

I was at an AIA event last night and an architect there had a recording device on his wrist. The device is constantly recording, and then when tapped, saves the prior 30 seconds of audio by bluetooth to your phone. I guess it's marketed to parents who want to capture their kids saying ridiculous things, first words, etc. without having to keep a camera on them at all times. It is also helpful when people blurt out something that can easily be taken out of context like at an AIA event.

Made me think of the Entire History of You episode at the time. The future is close...

Nov 5, 15 10:25 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Can't believe I forgot about stalker or inception! Tried twice to make it through Super 8 and just couldn't do it. Amazon has released the. 1st two episodes of the Ridley Scott produced, "The Man in the High Castle." Full release scheduled for the 20th. Never read the book, but the first two episodes were great. Anyone buy there Star Wars tix yet? Meant to buy last week. Hope to still score opening day tix for me and the boys! Been trying to avoid all the spoilers out there.

Nov 5, 15 11:28 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Don't know why, but posting from my phone removes all formatting....sorry...

Nov 5, 15 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Andrew.Circle, that's actually terrifying. Like you, I feel nauseous halfway through, in an "Am I relay living in this world? Yes, I am." way. So good.

I've heard that High Castle series is really good, that should be up next after we finish Black mirror!

Nov 5, 15 11:39 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Donna-"rooster hanging from a rope" is a joke. Usually the tattoo is on your lower leg. Then you tell her "I have a cock that hangs at my ankle"
Nov 9, 15 10:16 pm  · 
 · 

gruen it's a "well-hung cock". Which frankly is far less terrifying than the thought of one that approaches an ankle!

Finished the Black Mirror series last night. OMG. So good. I hope they do more.

Nov 10, 15 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Contact--should be in top 10. 

Interstellar--love it or hate it, some deep science in this one

war of the worlds, day the earth stood still 1950 version only)

Nov 10, 15 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Moon -- cool film

Nov 10, 15 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

A slightly different genre, but science-fiction nonetheless:  Maybe the greatest time travel movie ever:  PRIMER.

It's an indie about a couple of young Silicon Valley nerds, operating an electronics company out of their garage, who accidentally discover a time travel technology.  Weird shit ensues.  It won the grand prize at the Sundance festival. 

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2709586201

Nov 12, 15 9:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: