Archinect
anchor

thinking about becoming a junkie, have MArch, license

awaiting_deletion

been working 10 years,have an Ivy MArch, state BArch,licensed in 2 states, about to open a full fledge office, but seriously considering becoming a junkie. Now should I enroll somewhere? Work on my portfolio? let my licenses expire. I speak two languages, not sure that helps. any advise appreciated. whats the goong rate for Junkies these days?

Sep 30, 15 8:06 am
bowling_ball

More lucrative to become a dealer.  Or "owner/operator" I guess.

Sep 30, 15 11:08 am  · 
 · 

I was just arguing with my co-workers over the value of paying for high skill.  IMO it's almost always worth paying more for someone you can trust to do the job RIGHT, even though it costs more than someone who can just do it.  How are your skills as a junkie?

Sep 30, 15 11:15 am  · 
 · 
gruen
If you have to ask these questions you are probably not qualified and are really immature. I fear for the future of the profession of junkies if this is the kind of kid we are getting.
Sep 30, 15 11:36 am  · 
 · 
gruen
That will be $250 please.
Sep 30, 15 11:37 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

you know, i don't think it's school you need.  you need experience and a proper mentorship.  i really think it would be hard to break into a new field like junkie without having some first-hand experience of how to make it work.  without that kind of experience you'll probably end up buying at above market rates and either consuming too much or not enough, so you wind up with medical expenses from ODing or an experience that doesn't reach the potential of the product.

from what i've seen, tradesmen often tend to be more successful when they do what their parents did as compared to those who are just winging it.  not that it has to be a parent, but having that guiding hand to help pass on their wisdom is priceless.

on a side tangent, i was actually telling a friend the other day that i'm thinking of becoming evil.  i try to be nice and help people out when i can, but i just don't think it's working for me.

Sep 30, 15 11:41 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Not sure what kind of junkie, but according to this article -

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/entitlement-america-head-household-four-making-minimum-wage-has-more-disposable-income-famil

a junkie-head of household, with two kids only needs $14k annually to exceed the disposable income of $60k salary...

Sep 30, 15 11:44 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

jerome, if you get some sense and follow through on that plan to work one week a month at a minimum wage job like smart people would do, i would be very interested to read your blog on how you're doing.

i can't help but think there are some very obvious flaws with what they outlined, but if i'm wrong and zero hedge is a reputable new agency rather than a bullshit soapbox in the vein of fox news, i would be really interested in seeing how the practical application of their plan works out for real people.

Sep 30, 15 11:54 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

don't get your panties in a wad - my household income is greater than 60k- adopting that plan would mean a slip in my standard of living.  It seemed this thread was a bit tongue-in-cheek, so regardless of the veracity of the outline cited, it seemed to fit in.  You're application of personal politics seems to be what's out of place.

Sep 30, 15 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

how much is an 8ball these days?

Sep 30, 15 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

According to California:

Health & Safety §11000, et seq.; §11350, et seq.

Possession:

State prison and fine up to $70; if probation granted, there are additional requirements

Sale:

State prison 2-4 yrs.; Possession/purchasing for sale: State prison 3-5 yrs.; Sale to minors: state prison 3, 5, or 7 yrs.; Sale to day care, preschool, or school children: 5, 7, or 9 yrs.; Anyone over 18 who sells to a minor or uses a minor in the sale process is punishable in state prison for 3, 6, or 9 yrs.; Sale within 1000 ft. of school: additional 3, 4, or 5 yrs.; If sale occurred upon the grounds of a child day care, school, church, synagogue or youth center, punishment is automatically enhanced by one year; if seller is over 18 and buyer is a minor at least four years younger, then punishment is enhanced by one, two, or three years at the discretion of the court. Sale on many public areas punishable by state prison for 5, 7, or 9 yrs. if seller is 5 yrs. older than minor; in addition, maximum fine of $50,000

Trafficking Transport / Import:

3-5 yrs.; County to noncontiguous county: 3, 6, or 9 yrs.

Afghanistan produces much of the world's heroin, and if you know anything about Afghanistan, you'll know that they consist of Islamic, statutory and customary rules.

It has developed over centuries and is currently changing in the context of the rebuilding of the Afghan state. The supreme law of the land is the Constitution of Afghanistan. In addition, there is complex legislation which stems from different historical periods. For instance, the so-called four volumes of civil law were developed on the basis of Egyptian models and promulgated in the time of the monarchy. Other legislation came into force under of President Daoud Khan, the Democratic Republic (1978-1992), the Mujahideen (1992-1996), the Taliban regime (1996-2001) and the current Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. Article 130 of the Afghan Constitution establishes that judges must apply the constitution and legislation and may only resort to Hanafi fiqh (one of the Schools of Islamic Law) if a necessary legal rule cannot be found in the written laws.

Corruption associated with the opium economy has spread to all levels of the Afghan government from the police to the parliament, and is eroding the rule of law. Farmers routinely bribe police and counternarcotics eradication personnel to turn a blind eye. Law enforcement personnel are also paid off by drug traffickers to ignore or, in some cases, protect their movements. Afghan government officials are now believed to be involved in at least 70 percent of opium trafficking, and experts estimate that at least 13 former or present provincial governors are directly involved in the drug trade...In some cases...local leaders are the same individuals who cooperated with the United States in ousting the Taliban in 2001.

In other words: TRUMP 2016!

Sep 30, 15 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
bpete

"Intern Junkie"

Sep 30, 15 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
doarch

Sorry , can somebody give me brief explanation of what junkie is?

Sep 30, 15 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

haha....guess i am not cut out for this. what about nontraditional routes?

Sep 30, 15 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

i mean i once confused 8ball as drug and not a game, but am decent at the drink. dinna what skillz i need to be legit? sneakypete i am not sure i qualify yet, but i am training up tonit

Sep 30, 15 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

To be  junkie it has to be intravenous, yes? So Jim Carroll is a junkie and a poet, not sure which came first. How are you at writing poetry? That might be a non-traditional route to junkie?

Sep 30, 15 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

jazz musician was a traditional path, but maybe that's too far in the past. 

have you tried revit?  that might be the new way to go.

i can picture a conversation between olaf and chris.  'want to get some beers and play some 8-ball?'  'sure, i have a mirror and rolled up $100 bill right here' . . .

Sep 30, 15 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

Olaf don't worry about your undeveloped skills or lifelong pattern of poor decisions and subsequent disappointments. What really matters is your passion. If your heart is in it and you want to be a junkie, the hardships, social exclusion and deteriorating health will all be worth it. It might take 50 years but someday the world will recognize you for your unfailing pursuit of the ideals of being a capital J Junkie. You won't be rich, healthy or loved, but in the weird twisted core of your abused ego there will be a profound happiness and you will know it was the right thing for you!

Sep 30, 15 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

midlander that was inspiring as a dose of Trainspotting before a night of clubbing! poetry!.......curtkram - true story - left a bar at closing in Brooklyn pre hipster days, 6'-6" puerto rican in dew rag waiting for me outside after closing time. says "you owe me a $1000 for 8Ball". me " i don't do drugs." spent the next 2 hours avoiding tinted window cars trying to collect with tall puerto rican, apparently I had lost a game of 8Balln piss drunk.. offered him the $10 i had.....i was on my way back then damnit, but got into Architecture. this Revit thing can it make me happy?

Sep 30, 15 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

no, revit will not make you happy.  revit will humiliate you and make you suffer.

but then if you're waffling between lifestyles of the architect/ junkie, you probably have a bit of masochist in there.  is 'happy' the right word there?

well stated midlander!

Sep 30, 15 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

midlander if you start a cult I will commit to it. Twisted profound happiness awaits all followers!

Sep 30, 15 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

A Message from Jim Carroll

By Jim Carroll
Unpublished, 1996

Have you isolated
Your rage?
. . . and what route have
you designated

to dispose of it?

How often do you / in a day /

fear
losing it all?

Don't worry, don't
worry, you'll get home

Just remember
to keep the river
on the right.

Sep 30, 15 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

ig_wastedrita wastedritadidthis

Oct 1, 15 1:07 am  · 
 · 

But the disappointment is also beautiful. So even though it's constant it's not really disappointing.

Oct 1, 15 8:37 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You don't choose junkie, junkie chooses you.

Oct 1, 15 8:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Quick question... how many more successful junkies are there than successful architects?

Olaf might onto something here.

Oct 1, 15 8:47 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

meth and architecture probably go well together.

Oct 1, 15 11:49 am  · 
 · 
go do it

true donna,

i guess you can not be dissapointed in the disapointment if you ar not disapointed by the disapointment.

so is this happiness

Oct 1, 15 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

WHICH RIVER?

Oct 1, 15 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the one that leads to the cannibals

Oct 1, 15 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

Happiness equals reality minus expectations.

Oct 1, 15 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

misread that as cannabis . . . . 

goddamn Xanadu

Oct 1, 15 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

In This River

Non, what am I on to, I'd like to know? 

don't disappoint me;)

Oct 1, 15 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

or maybe this river

Oct 1, 15 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

what a River............and here is an appropriate Jim Caroll qoute for this post " Poverty of young men alone behind the stairways, who practice alchemy inside bottle caps, who know the altruism of a last syringe.".............so must i be poor first or fall into it to be chosen?

Oct 1, 15 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

what is an academic junkie? 

Oct 1, 15 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

academic

junkie

Oct 1, 15 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

selective definition choice

academic - not of practical relevance; of only theoretical interest.

junkie - a person with a compulsive habit or obsessive dependency on something.

Someone with an obsessive dependency on the impractical and theoretical.

Oct 1, 15 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

maybe this river . . . .

Oct 2, 15 1:47 am  · 
 · 
boy in a well

ps a poverty is a group, like a shrewdness, or a mute, or an obstinacy, or a pride, or a richness, or an exaltation, or a murder.

Oct 2, 15 1:59 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

how do you get into this group, they takin' applications? do you wear a suit to the interview? what kind of initiation rights they have? patti smith and jim carroll were roomates?

Oct 2, 15 6:30 am  · 
 · 
Patti Smith and Jim Carroll were lovers, and roommates. IMO he's the better poet but she's the better rock star.
Oct 2, 15 8:41 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

I will join this junkie profession as well cant be worse than slaving away at an arch office and going to fairy imagine arch school.

Oct 2, 15 11:09 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i bet it's easy to join the poverty group, but as with anything else, i bet it's hard to excel at it.

you ever notice how natural selection and evolution strongly favor poverty?  think about how much you really rely on other people every day, from the power company to the trash man to everyone else.  if you were really impoverished, a lot of that would become inaccessible to you.  i have no idea how people live, survive, and sometimes probably even thrive in that atmosphere.  i don't think i could do it.

Oct 2, 15 11:28 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

that is an interesting 'dependency' explanation, especially in comparison to JeromeS link...and well Junkies.

Oct 2, 15 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

now if I draft and drink whiskey, am I ok?

Oct 2, 15 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

curt, why is the junkie pointing a gun at me?......where is that damn high-land whiskey.....rummaging.......

Oct 3, 15 12:12 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

hard to tell olaf.  sometimes junkies do things for no reason at all.

Oct 3, 15 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

Very sad man, vary sad...

Oct 3, 15 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

/\ The End.

Oct 3, 15 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

Don'y leave us man! 

Oct 3, 15 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: