Archinect
anchor

roof window, other than velux

French

I've been strugling with the problem long enough, so I have to ask you detail geek this question: is there any company that markets roof windows other than velux? I'd like to find something a bit more elegant. If somebody knows anything else, let me know here.

thanks for your help everyone.

Jul 14, 11 2:13 pm
Rusty!

Other manufacturers include Wasco, Thermo-vu sunlite, sun-tek, ODL, Dome'l Inc, Cresline, etc... Even Pella and anderson make 'em.

Not sure what your definition of elegant is, but there are plenty of options out there. 

Jul 14, 11 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

It can be a problem in the EU because of different standards and guarantee terms. At least in rainy NL it's pretty impossible to find an alternative to Velux. There are some very interesting manufacturers in the UK, but nobody is importing them here. A similar solution could be an operable polycarbonate skylight, but these might not always be a good solution (small measurements, very characteristic look esp. from the outside).

Jul 15, 11 4:31 am  · 
 · 
French

Thanks for the quick replies. By more elegant, I mean this : I have a façade that bends and become a roof; the windows on the vertical part are aligned inside the wall, but the roof window system are all applied over the roof to make sure the project is "waterproof" (sorry for my lack of vocabulary, I hope you guys et the point).

I'd like to see if anyone has developped other options, of course with samller sections etc...

Jul 15, 11 5:02 am  · 
 · 
a-f

I had the exact same problem, and used Velux for wall and roof, which indeed wasn't really elegant. You might look for a solution with fixed windows, using a hatch in the wall for natural ventilation?

But by "aligned inside the wall", you mean recessed windows? Difficult!

Jul 15, 11 5:18 am  · 
 · 
French

Thanks a-f, that's exactly what I meant, "recessed windows". And indeed it's difficult. To know that I'm not the only one facing the difficulty is actually a relief anyway. Thanks for the help.

Jul 18, 11 6:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: