Archinect
anchor

Would you live near the Culver City metro (Expo) line in Los Angeles?

greenlander1

Curious to what people think about the desirability of living near one of these stations on the middle of the Expo line (La Cienega/ Jefferson, Exposition/ La brea, Farmdale, Expo/ Crenshaw...not the stops Culver City and west) with the possibility of being able to go to both Santa Monica + downtown without having to deal with traffic.

The areas really don't have much in way of amenities but cost of rent/ ownership would be much less than living in either west side or downtown and the 10 freeway is pretty damn close.  

Also wondering whether people think in some of the less gentrified places where the Metro is going whether we might see some of that happen around some of the new stations.  If it was any other city, would be obvious that it would occur but LA is such a weird city with its car culture (like I have often been on the red line in the train by myself on weekend afternoons).

Any thoughts?

Aug 4, 15 8:21 pm
citizen

Very interesting issue.   I live near Bergamot Station and cannot wait for the thing to be finished.  Of course, SM's the opposite of the mid-city condition you're asking about.

I know LA city's interested in TOD around those stations --and of course it's the site & topic of half the studio courses in many architecture schools.  I don't know the market studies but my strong hunch is that new housing around those stops would get filled very fast-- and at high rents/ prices.  The gentrification brought by TO(re)D --and the vocal opposition by longtime residents and merchants-- is part of what's keeping it at bay.

Aug 5, 15 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

I used to live in West LA and work in Santa Monica, so I'm pretty familiar with the Expo Line and its environs. I was there for the grand opening of Phase 1 to Culver City in 2012. It's encouraging to see Los Angeles invest so heavily in rail transit.

Short answer: Absolutely. The only way I'd be able to survive living in LA again would be if I had a reasonable commute to work via walking or public transit. I'd probably still need a car for running errands, day trips to Big Bear Lake, etc.

Aug 5, 15 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

I can see the benefit of that. Bring in all the good stuff to raise value in the west L.A. and Santa Monica region. That and raise of rent and voila.... more money.

Aug 5, 15 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

run a subway right down wilshire downtown to beach, another under santa monica blvd and a freeway above...oh wait, all the rich people would shit their pants if you did that...oh well, keep LA congested! 

That should be a bumper sticker.

Other traffic reducing advice:  Tunnel under all the canyons to the valley. 

Aug 5, 15 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Really weird how excessive traffic is actually driving more dense development these days in LA.  The traffic going in and out of SM on weekends is death.  So much worse than say 10 years ago.

I haven't seen much activity in the mid city area in way of development that matches the potential benefits of living there but I agree with you guys.

Aug 5, 15 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Traffic in SM is their own fault...they are so anti growth that everyone has to drive in to get to their jobs. The transit line going there will be negligible imo, the reason being, if you have to walk more than 10 from a stop you will drive 9 out of 10 times.

Subway to the sea is wet dream...it will happen when all the rich people live on their floating libertarian islands off the coast.

Balkins, west la and sm are already the wealthiest places in la FYI. Rents for a 1 bedroom are the cost of your annual income designing buildings lol.
Aug 5, 15 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: