Archinect
anchor

career change - landscape architect

Jefferson

I've been doing a lot of brainstorming recently about a career change since I don't find myself happy in architecture anymore. I do love dreaming up landscapes, so u wonder if landscape architecture would be a good fit. Would a landscape firm hire an architect or would I definitely need to go back to school? I'm curious - a firm might be interested in bringing an architect on board to help with designs that integrate and complement a building, no?

Jul 12, 11 2:33 pm

Plenty of architects have shifted to the green side, but it's becoming increasingly hard without the proper credentials in this competitive economy. There are some opportunities integrating vegetation with buildings (ie green roofs) where an architectural skills may be appreciated.

Going back to school for a MLA is useful, as there are significant difference in thinking about landscapes versus objects, and  technical knowledge that will be difficult to learn on your own.

But why are you unhappy in architecture? the project delivery process is similar and pay is the same in landscape. if you are unhappy because of the work environment, you'll stay unhappy as a landscape architect. If you just want to stretch into a different sort of project, then maybe it would be a good move.

Jul 12, 11 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

I'm finding I'm more interested creating exciting, vibrant, public outdoor spaces for people to be in, using landscape, paving, canopies, lighting, etc. 

So I've been brainstorming the idea.  I wonder if I can learn the technical aspects of it on my own, or in practice. 

Jul 12, 11 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

urban design is another path to creating plazas and urban spaces (some similarity to LA, but without the ecological understandings).  There are certificate programs in urban design which may appeal to you and require less comitment then a master degree

Jul 12, 11 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: