Archinect
anchor

Calgary vs. Carleton

an_nie

I was accepted to both the University of Calgary's 3 year MArch program and Carleton's 3.5 year MArch program, and am trying to figure out which to accept.  

I've visited both schools and have spoken to grads from both programs, but wanted to get a bit more feedback. Below is a list of assumptions i've made made based on the information I've gathered so far. 

CALGARY 

• more work on computers / digital visualizations, less on emphasis on 'traditional' skills like hand drawing, model making etc. 
  • great material and shop lab 
  • strong environmental / sustainability focus 
  • great exchange programs (Barcelona, Melbourne or the option to set up your own) 
  • lesser known "young" program (which makes me nervous because I'd like to work abroad and or else where in Canada, and want my education recognized) 
  • more emphasis on traditional 'buildable work' 
  • Calgary isn't the most inspirational city, and with the majority of the development funding is coming from more 'conservative' types. ie less opportunity for interesting projects

CARLETON 

• more conceptual and theoretical work 
  • strong emphasis on 'traditional' architecture skills (drawing, model making, etc) 
  • great guest lecturers and visiting professors 
  • stronger international reputation 
  • professors have a really diverse backgrounds and areas of interest 
  • studio abroad (I believe one went to Helsinki) 
  •  Ottawa isn't the most exciting city and job market doesn't to seem to be that great (ie worried about getting work experience) 
  • less emphasis on digital skills 

Please comment on my assumptions this is just an exercise to see what other peoples experiences with these schools have been. Any feedback would be very helpful. 

Thanks 

May 7, 15 11:56 pm
Non Sequitur
Carleton is a far stronger undergrad programme. Not the best in canada however but Calgary is pretty much at the bottom of the list.

Carleton has a strong early emphasis on hand drawing but also has a big digital research lab through Cims. Also, the market is good in Ottawa at the moment and should be for the next few years.
May 8, 15 6:39 am  · 
 · 
cesarmontes

Hello, I also have two offers from both Calgary and Carleton for their 3 year m arch programs, and was wondering which one you ended up going to and how you liked it, or how it went? I Know you posted this many years ago but it was the only online post I could find, thanks!! 

Mar 30, 19 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
aaaaa19

I have a Carleton undergrad and I got into the 2 year M.Arch program at both schools. I am still debating whether to go to Calgary or to stay in Ottawa, the reason I am considering Calgary is because I want to learn from a different perspective. But if you have never attended both schools, I'd say from my experience that Carleton has a strong program, and the building is very special. There is plenty of exhibits from the students work that you can learn and get inspiration from. I'd say that Carleton is truly a great platform for architects to learn collectively. I hope to see y'all in the Open house next Monday :)

Mar 30, 19 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
aaaaa19

Mar 30, 19 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: