Archinect
anchor

over regulation in California

tlee55

Just had a final inspection on 1000 sqft tenant improvement and got called out on mech 2a and 3a form and LTI 2a and 3a forms. Which is a third party review of the work we did. Well the third party for the LTI form ( lighting ) is quoting $1800 for a piece of paper that says the lighting was done correct. Im going to get another quote but it will likely be high as well. The cost of doing business in California is to expensive. Wonder why everyone is leaving this state for texas. Regulations are understandable for safety but where does it stop! Too frustrating! Am I wrong or does anyone else think this is getting too insane?. Big Government needs to go away.

Apr 29, 15 12:27 pm
chigurh

California Love

Apr 29, 15 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Owner looks to fancify

Legislature to mystify

Architect to specify

Contractor to quantify

Third party to verify

Licensed Inspector to sanctify

Everyone else is stupefied.

OK, I got carried away with my rhyming dictionary...

Apr 29, 15 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Overregulation only applies to the regular people...Big companies do as they please...CA and NY are ridiculous...

Apr 29, 15 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

tlee55, you're writing checks to the wrong people. Regulations are for the naive.

Apr 29, 15 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Texas?  They require fingerprints and extensive and intrusive background checks if you want to get licensed there.  Maybe they're less stringent about environmental standards, but if you so much as fart it'll go on your permanent record.  It's a very different kind of hell.

Apr 30, 15 12:26 am  · 
 · 

+++ Carrera

Apr 30, 15 8:37 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Were you unaware of CalGreen's commissioning requirements before you started the project?  If you are paying "for a piece of paper", it sounds like you don't understand the requirement, or how it would have benefited your project if you would have built it into your project delivery.

Apr 30, 15 10:47 am  · 
 · 
tlee55

Apparently I didn't. First time running a project that requires this verification. I guess the past projects the inspectors were not up to speed and did not ask for this. Just didn't expect someone to charge $1800 to verify this. Anyways i went went spoke with a PE for leviton and he recommended we get certified to do our own ttesting. Gurss what that going to cost more $$$. $1200 to register with the state. Yep. Anytime this state places new regulation this means the we got to $$$ to jump through more hoops.

Apr 30, 15 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

tie55 - don't blame your situation on BIG GUBMINT- you're a professional(?), you should know how to do your job. Or move to f'n Texas. 

Apr 30, 15 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
pale shelter

someone shouting over regulation doesn't equate to 'gov. get off my back / no taxes / no oversight" crazy dumbsht conservative... I've always considered myself a liberal, but... but lol ... just after 1 year of switching from architect to real estate developer, a whole new world of finance, law, insurance, epa, gov approvals, city gov. bureaucracy, paper pushing, third-party fees to approve licensed professionals, city inefficiencies and ineptitude, etc has opened up my eyes. Wow how naive I used to be... 

Apr 30, 15 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
tlee55

Anonitect im just venting. And im sure not all professionals know everything especially with the changes that happen every year. I know alot of engineers that are NOT familiar with this new change. We all are learning everyday. And my point is that there has to be a point when governemnts have to realize what they are doing to the small business man who trying to make ends meat. Im sure if you have had a business you would understand.

Apr 30, 15 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
tlee55

Pale ive been working for a builder for a long time now and ive been very patient and accommodating with all the regulations. But its getting way too extreme. I've had building inspectors tell me they think the regulations are insane. But they dont make the laws they just enforce. Im done venting. I've already decided to pay for the third party verification.

Apr 30, 15 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

This is a Title 24 requirement that was announced in 2013 but not implemented until 7/1/14.  

May 1, 15 1:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: