Archinect
anchor

A truly difficult predicament...Transfer into architecture or stay with business

SeanB

I am a first year student at a public university. Recently I have decided that going to school for business was not for me and I wanted to switch my major. I have always been very creative and was encouraged to apply as a transfer student to an architecture program. After creating a portfolio, I was accepted into an accredited b.arch program, and I was thrilled. However, I am now faced with a decision between my two schools and I am starting to doubt both. Has anyone been in a similar situation , or can offer advice/perspective? Thanks

Apr 28, 15 1:32 am
mfvoll

This isn't mine, but I came across it once and I think it applies:

http://imgur.com/a/354vK?gallery

Hope it helps.

Apr 28, 15 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
martrench

I went through a similar thing. My undergraduate school had no B.Arch program. I am graduating with a degree in finance, never really know why I chose business, it just seemed sort of available and useful. But the past three years studying it have been close to miserable. I just have no passion for it. However, I did apply and get accepted into some M.Arch programs. I will be starting one shortly. From my perspective-- I think I walk away with some useful experience having studied finance and know all sorts of accounting and business skills I otherwise would not have gained. I have made some good connections within business school and feel as though a finance degree is marketable in all sorts of fields. However, I rarely enjoyed my classes. Getting through some was a trial. I feel as though I had to work harder than most of my friends because my heart was not in it. I yearned for something creative, but all the while am happy I stuck it out.

It's really a personal call. In the end, I think it's best to do something you feel you will enjoy.

May 1, 15 9:37 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

grats on acceptance. arch school is really hard and subjective. before you walk into the program you got accepted to try to ascertain what the culture of the school is like by talking to students, preferably ones at the latter end of the program. ask them a lot about the faculty. having bad or nasty faculty will really make it a galling experience. 5 years is a long time so just be sure that the quality of the school is worth it. otherwise you can finish out your business degree and then look at M.Archs.

May 1, 15 9:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: