Archinect
anchor

Graduate Program Decisions 2015

archhopeful

How about a new thread for all of this to help out the next batch of applicants?

Undergraduate degree:

GPA: 

GRE scores (V/Q/W): 

PORTFOLIO:

Letters of Recommendation:

SCHOOLS (Applied + Results + Funds awarded):

IN:

OUT:

WAIT LISTED:

NO RESPONSE:

Preferences:

Mar 13, 15 1:49 pm
LA05

Undergraduate degree: B.Arch (5 yrs), BUET

GPA: 3.60 (WES 3.71)

TOEFL: 104, GRE scores (V/Q/W): 147/161/3.0

PORTFOLIO:

Letters of Recommendation: 3 prof.

IN: Columbia GSAPP

OUT:

WAIT LISTED: Harvard GSD, Upenn

NO RESPONSE: MIT, UC Berkeley

Preferences: GSD > Upenn > GSAPP

Mar 13, 15 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

Might also be useful to add tips at the end, those were helpful in last year's thread.

As a reference, I guess $ = 1/4 tuition, $$ = 1/2 tuition, $$$ = 3/4 tuition, $$$$ = 100% tuition

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Undergraduate degree: B.A. Studio Art (Art History Minor),

GPA: 3.76/4.00

GRE scores (V/Q/W): 161 / 164 / 4.5

PORTFOLIO: I feel a little weird posting this identifying information on an otherwise anonymous thread, but I'll describe what I included. I began with two 2013 Career Discovery projects, one of a shared home and one of a film archive complex. I then had two drawings also from Career Discovery (you do drawing assignments outside of the regular architectural design projects), three grid-inspired paintings from college, two figure drawings and two larger drawing projects (fine art). The rest of my portfolio was seven installation projects I completed my senior year of college.

Letters of Recommendation: Three all from professors that I developed a close relationship with during college. One is an art history professor, the other an architecture studio professor, and the last was my thesis advisor.

IN:

GSD + $$$

Yale + Hopefully a lot of money...fingers crossed still! :)

Penn + $$

Columbia + $

WashU + $$$$

Virginia + $

Miami + $$$$

OUT: Princeton (meh)

WAIT LISTED: None

NO RESPONSE: None

Preferences: I am pretty sure my favorite program is Yale, but I will be going both to the Yale and GSD open house next month. I am still waiting on financial aid information from Yale though before turning any other offers down (hopefully that will happen in the near future?) I'm particularly drawn to the facilities, housing project, travel opportunities, and seemingly closer community of Yale, though I did really enjoy my time spent at Career Discovery so we'll see.

Application Tips: Of course the portfolio is the most important part of the application, I worked on mine for a few months and shared it with several different types of design professionals for feedback. I really think letters of recommendation can't be looked over, though. At this point there likely isn't much you can do about them, but I think having worked closely with and developed great relationships with my professors was a huge asset. I would finally recommend an order to application completion...the first application I sent in was to a school I was certainly interested in, but that I wouldn't have been crushed about a rejection. This gave me a chance to really sort through any issues that came up at that time (I noticed I printed my portfolio without page numbers in the table of contents! You can have a million eyes check over it, but of course you end up not noticing until it's too late to fix. I was still accepted though.) I then completed and turned in the applications for my 'preferred' schools while I was still very excited about the process. By the 6th, 7th and 8th application I felt tired of the whole process and kind of rushed through to get it done. Just my two cents.

Mar 13, 15 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
thebloodfiend

Undergraduate degree: BA. Arch (Art Studio Minor)

GPA: 3.33

GRE scores (V/Q/W): 165/155/4.5

PORTFOLIO: Honestly, I should've put more time into it, project-wise. TBH, I've always excelled at graphic design and related fields—the architecture side of things... meh. There are a lot of things I would've changed. I do a lot of hand drawing and none of it is there, which I think is a mistake. I think less arch and more art would've been a better approach for me, since my architecture work isn't as strong.

http://issuu.com/coryarchie/docs/portfolio

Letters of Recommendation: I got four recommenders. Two were alumni, one was from sci-arc. One was an architectural history professor. 

IN: 

RISD + $$

Columbia + $

OUT:

Penn

University of Maryland

WAIT LISTED:

NO RESPONSE:

Pratt (Unless they give me a full ride, I'm not attending)

Preferences: I know I should go to Columbia, but I'm more interested in RISD. Cheaper, more money, and more my style. I think I'd enjoy going there, instead of stressing all the time about money in Manhattan. 

Tip: Get someone to read your statement of purpose. Someone with a good grasp on English and who knows what the schools want. One of my professors graduated from GSD a while ago and she gave me solid advice on how to show the school why they need you on campus. Ultimately, I think that's why I got into GSAPP. I actually showed enthusiasm and besides RISD, it's the only one I wanted to attend. Penn and UMD were afterthoughts... and now I'm pissed I even wasted the money since Penn had the most expensive app fee. Also, ask for letters early. And start apps early. Your eyes will bleed out if you try to do it all in one sitting. One day, I pray there will be a common app for Grad students. 

Mar 13, 15 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
windupbird

Undergraduate degree: BFA, Sculpture; RISD

GPA: 3.8/4.0

GRE scores (V/Q/W): 160/160/4.5

PORTFOLIO: mostly sculpture, a few projects from architecture-related electives, some print design, and an excerpt from an essay on ritual and domesticity

Letters of Recommendation: past studio professor, current department head, current boss

IN:

Michigan + $$$

UIC + tuition waiver for first year, no commitment for next two

UT Austin + Texas residency, so in-state tuition, and small stipend

Penn + $

OUT:

MIT

Princeton

Preferences: Michigan is the current front-runner. Attending open houses at Michigan and UIC.

Tip: Now that everything is in, I wish I had more east cost options (Penn is too expensive). My main concern was funding, but I think I could have balanced it out better with geography. Sometimes it's hard to know what's important until it's over. If I am not in love with Michigan I might try again next year.

Mar 13, 15 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
allthingsequal

Undergraduate degree: BS, Mississippi

GPA: 3.6/4.0

GRE scores (V/Q/W): 140/152/4.5

PORTFOLIO: work done in an office, school thesis, some smaller renovations

Letters of Recommendation: dean's letter, former boss, former professor. No stellar names or starchitects

IN:

New Mexico

Florida International

OUT:

GSD

GSAAP

DAAP

AA

Houston

UPenn

Tulane

What gives? Is it my age?

Mar 13, 15 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@allthingsequal

It's almost certainly the portfolio. The age probably helps if anything.

Mar 13, 15 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
roman_architec

At this point I feel like that the GPA and maybe GRE scores play a (HUGE) roll....

Mar 13, 15 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
howdidigethere

@allthingsequal

The Verbal GRE score is really low for someone who has a 4.5 Writing score. 140 is only 10th percentile. Unless it's a typo.

Mar 13, 15 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@archhopeful 

Nice job! Great GRE scores, how much did you study?

I'm interested in your opinion ....

I’ve always thought art backgrounds were about the most advantageous for MArch applications. However, most people going into the 3 year programs are not from an art or design background, and I am curious if you really think the portfolio is the key here?  Obviously it can’t be a flop, but ultimately it’s going to be significantly weaker that someone from a related background. I am inclined to emphasize the statement of purpose for these people, because I think it is a way to express a strong thought process.  

@allthingsequal

I always say the GRE doesn’t mean much in architecture unless it’s really good or a red flag. A 140 is red flag territory in my mind…

It was still probably the portfolio though.

You are also applying to a good number of heavy hitting schools.

Mar 14, 15 2:56 am  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@natematt I took the GRE twice. The first go around my scores were 158 (V) 161 (Q) and 4.0 (W). I was okay with these until I went to the Yale Open House in the Fall and they were really stressing at least a 4.5 Writing score. This stressed me out so I scrambled to sign up for another testing date where the scores would be ready in time for my applications and really only studied for an extra four days or so, but it definitely paid off! Those few points equated to really big percentile jumps (the extra half point in writing, for example, made my percentile jump from 56% to 80%!) Even though I received my new scores after I had already submitted a handful of applications, I am pretty sure all schools did consider my new scores over the old.

I think that, even for people without an art background, the portfolio is still key. Obviously it won't be the same portfolio as someone with an art background, but I think the expectation is that someone who seriously wants to pursue architecture will find time to grow their artistic skills (whether that's through official summer programs, weekend art courses, or just drawing/painting/sculpting on your own).  That being said, if you can do something like Career Discovery I think that's key to building a portfolio without much of a background - we created A LOT during just 6 weeks. Of course a statement of purpose is really important, but that can only get you so far in a design field. I just don't see how an admissions committee (particularly at 'top' programs) can weigh whether or not you'll be a successful student/architect based on your writing skills.

Mar 14, 15 11:21 am  · 
 · 
thebloodfiend

@archhopeful

My point is not that the statement of purpose is the *most* important thing in your application. I'm saying that it's beneficial to not ignore it until the last minute. I know few architecture students who can write worth a damn, and if you're shooting for good schools, they aren't going to accept you if you're practically illiterate. I'd say it's at least worth 20%. I've heard of engineers getting into arch school because they were able to cohesively explain the process behind their work, even if their visual design process was lacking. It's not to say the portfolio isn't the most important (it is), but to simply devote time to the other parts as well. 

I wish I had done career discovery or gone to an open house, though. They're expensive to get to if you're without the means. 

Mar 14, 15 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@archhopeful

I just don't see how an admissions committee (particularly at 'top' programs) can weigh whether or not you'll be a successful student/architect based on your writing skills.

Agreed, I don't think they are able to do this with most non-design portfolios either though. I'm just still trying to understand this relationship between the 3.5 year path and 6year path to an MArch.

That makes sense with the GRE. How much did you study the first time?

Mar 14, 15 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@natematt Yeah, it must be tough for them. What do you mean the relationship between the two? Just in terms of what the two different educations mean once entering the work force?

I studied for maybe a month the first time? But I certainly wasn't as motivated as I could have been. With the math, really doing several practice tests is the most helpful because there is so much repetition in style/subject of questions. For the verbal section, I think it would be very helpful to learn/memorize the lists of root words, etc. that you can find in a review book. And for writing, do a little googling and you'll find that there's really a pretty precise formula to follow for the essays. The tricky part is just getting used to writing them in the time frame.

@thebloodfiend If you're still in school, some times it's possible to get funding through a department/program at your college for a summer program.

Mar 14, 15 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
verticalgaze

The GRE writing tests (and whole thing in general) for reasoning. Why do you support or oppose whatever subject is given you? Forgot what the other one was but it's also some essay that tackles how coherent an argument can be made in a limited time. Which is important since we don't all have weeks to hone in a writing sample, just maybe half an hour of impromptu persuasion.

Solid reasoning informs judgments and decisions. A lot of people stress the artistic side of architecture but you can't just pick materials or beams at random or give a bullshit explanation that makes no sense. Writing usually sifts through those holes or at least gives a quick impression of how cogent one can be while doing research and analyzing theories and drawing valid conclusions.

As mentioned above in another post, being able to explain what one wants to do and how likely factors into the decision. Sure, one can want to be at a top school but why? What can you offer that persuades someone to fund your education? Loft aside, not all have a reason besides career shift because they could afford it and it sounds cool a year or two ago when their old degree or major was a dead-end.

And let's face it, if career discovery programs were key to getting in, then admissions would be a test of wealth. Who can spend thousands on such a short course without considering the gains? Don't make the barrier to admission even more expensive than it has to be considering the staggering debt amounts incurred.

Mar 14, 15 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@archhopeful

Yes. But also what it means during education. At the point the two programs tend to join up one person has 4-5 years of architecture and the other has 1-1.5.

I think we have the same understanding of how to approach the GRE. I am not asking for my own reference by the way, I already have my MArch.

Mar 14, 15 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@natematt My bad! Sorry for all the pontificating on the GRE then :)

Mar 14, 15 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
annairamgo

UNDERGRADUATE DEGREEWellesley College / MIT; BA Architecture, 2015

GPA:  3.8

GRE scores (V/Q/W):  152/150/4

PORTFOLIO: MIT Studios. 5 projects total, but each projects had like three parts to it. 30 pages. 

# of letter of recommendations: 3 Letters; 2 MIT studio professors, and 1 research supervisor (also MIT). All three are pretty well known, two were GSD alumni. 

SCHOOLS applied + Results + Funds awarded: All PROGRAMS are M.Arch 1 (3.5 year)

IN:

MIT + $$$$ & fellowship

Washington University in St. Louis + $$$$

Yale

UPenn + $

Harvard + ?

Columbia 

Princeton + $$

OUT: None

WAIT LISTED: None

Preferences:

I've been talking to a lot of my professors about where I should end up going. I was mainly considering MIT, Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. I've been told I shouldn't go to MIT if I have spent so much time there already, but it is kind of a shame because MIT is absolutely amazing. There so many traveling opportunities, the fabrication lab is incredibly accessible to students, and the professors are so approachable - I have a pretty good relationship with most of my studio profs, and I think that would happen at the graduate level as well. I have been surprisingly told by most to NOT go to Yale; one professors told me it was not worth my time nor my money, and I really respect her opinion, so that is out.

So I think the decision will end up being between Harvard and Princeton. GSD alumna told me she is where she is today because of the networking she did during her time there. MIT studios were incredibly small (8 people), so it would be a big change to go to the GSD, where according to her, you can either receive all the attention or none of it (class of ~60?, studios of 12-15?) vs. Princeton where it is literally a class of 8-10 people total and you are guaranteed attention. I am interested in going into academia, but like half of MIT arch faculty went to the GSD, so while Princeton is known to produce professors, deans, and chairs, I don't see why I couldn't pursue academia even if I didn't go to Princeton. Likely will choose Harvard. 

Application Tips:

I started my portfolio in the summer, and met with as many professors as I could. Some took time to really look at it and commented extensively on it, while others just flipped though it and said one or two things. Both were helpful. The most helpful advice was to look at monographs. In the summer, I was told my portfolio looked like a student portfolio, which is fine, but it doesn't need to be that way. Curate your work. Less is more. One image on one page is really powerful. Are all your diagrams and study models necessary to show? Probably not. Most don't really look and try to understand everything you are presenting, they really just scroll through and when/if they see something interesting, then they will stop and really look at things. Remember that when people look at your portfolio they think this is all the work you have done ever, so while you should present only your best work, you should have a good amount of work.

In the end, I think it is important to stick to a common presentation theme, but more importantly, that your work show a common theme - who are you as a designer? I spent no time studying for the GRE, mostly because everyone I talked to said it really really doesn't make a difference (unless you bomb it). I think my statement was strong in particular because it referred to work shown in my portfolio and referred to work I did with the people who wrote my letters of recommendation. I think it just made my app feel like everything tied in together really well. 

I would say the most important aspects are your portfolio and your recommenders.

Mar 14, 15 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@annairamgo What reasons did your professor give to not go to Yale? What about others who have told you the same?

Mar 14, 15 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Kell

@archhopeful 

I thought u posted earlier that u had concentration in architecture within studio art . I think that classification is some what adavantageous as your probably not compared up against other people with bs in arch or people with a Bachelor of Arts in architectural studies. I not sure how much architecture experience you had in undergrad but at least you had a level of exposure,as compared to other studio art majors like in painting or sculpture.  I think that it's a unique niche and also a smart one where you may be compared against people with non arch backgrounds .   Not to take away from your successful app but just being critical, to help out future applicants .

Congrats 

Mar 14, 15 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@Kell My concentration was architecture, which was three courses of the major. What that really helped most with was being able to take full advantage of Career Discovery and the work I completed there; the courses themselves were very pragmatic and I didn't think any of those projects would be helpful in my portfolio. The undergrad work in my portfolio are paintings, drawings and installations, which is what I spent 75% of my major doing. I wasn't trying to be misleading, sorry! And thank you!

Mar 14, 15 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
allthingsequal

@placebeyondthesplines:  You mentioned that age might help.  How do you figure? I thought it would put me at disadvantage.

@archhopeful: thanks for the scholarship index.  From that I noticed you got a full ride from Wash U. and Miami.  Is that the norm with those two programs?  Was there anything in particular that stood out from each of those programs? Congrats on your acceptances btw!  :)

Mar 14, 15 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
roman_architec

@annairamgo 

First of all congratulation on your notifications ! 

About what you said regarding what is more important, I used to think that the Portfolio,Statement, and Letters or rec, where the most important aspect of your application.

However, I feel like if you don't have a great GPA and GRE, you should not only work harder on your portfolio and statement but probably make sure to have a competitive GRE scores. As a person with a good portfolio and  not outstanding GRE and GPA, I feel like that is my main weakness...

From my 6 options I was rejected from 2, accepted at 1 and still waiting for the other 3. I'm still positive but I cannot help to think that maybe the portfolio is not that big of a deal like I used to think. I might be wrong... but when you know of people who were accepted, with not outstanding portfolios but great GPA and GRE makes you rethink everything.

Mar 14, 15 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
leriot

Undergraduate degree: BA in Architecture & Specialist of Architecture (Russian professional degree - both in Moscow Architectural)

GPA:  3.5 \ 4.0

GRE scores (V/Q/W): 152/159/3 

TOEFL scores: 114

PORTFOLIO: http://issuu.com/veronikavolkova/docs/portfolio_1

Letters of Recommendation: 3 in total: 2 from studio advisors and 1 from the employer.

IN: WUSTL (2y. March II) + waiting for $

OUT:

Yale

Cornell

UT Austin

WAIT LISTED:

NO RESPONSE: MIT

Preferences:

If not much $ from WUSTL or miraculously getting accepted to MIT -> will try next year! Feeling a bit down about that, but just have to do better next time! Not to mention retaking GRE. ...Oh(

Actually, an accredited program at WUSTL does not sound bad, but it's so expensive!

Application Tips:

Portfolio - start beforehand and do not dawdle over every tiny detail. Make it a finished product on the early stage and then elaborate it! I started with theory, duuh)

Schools - apply only to those that you are really passionate about! I was not upset about being rejected by Austin and Cornell, but I'm feeling like a total moron for not applying to UCLA and Rice. There enough fantastic schools for making both 1st choice and backup schools lists.

Financial strategy! Be sure that you have enough savings for applying everywhere just in time or retaking an exam if needed. Be sure to check all financial opportunities that Unis offer, especially if you're an international applicant!

Mar 15, 15 7:21 am  · 
 · 
seedsnstems

Masters in Landscape Architecture, First-professional 

Undergraduate degree: BA in Environmental Studies

GPA: 3.83

GRE scores (V/Q/W): 166/162/5.0

PORTFOLIO: http://issuu.com/mileshpayton/docs/portfolio_small_pdf

Letters of Recommendation: One from a former boss/mentor, one from a recent community college professor, one from a supervisor at the CMPBS

IN: UT Austin

UT Arlington

Texas Tech

Texas A&M

OUT:

WAIT LISTED: University of Washington

NO RESPONSE:

Preferences: A&M sounds like the best fit for me, but I have some visits and open houses to attend. Close second place is UT Austin. 

It seems like private schools are very over-represented on this forum, especially since plenty of cheaper public schools are ranked highly as well... I wonder what the reason for that is.

Mar 15, 15 11:09 am  · 
 · 
leriot

@seedsnstems
It seems like private schools are very over-represented on this forum, especially since plenty of cheaper public schools are ranked highly as well...

Congrats on getting accepted! And about the over-representation of the private schools, in my opinion the reason could be international applicants on Archinect. For foreigners who are not interested in staying in the US after graduation, the prestige of a school outside of the US is highly important. Almost everyone in the whole world knows about Harvard, but few know about, for instance, UT Austin, even though it is a well-respected school in North America.

Mar 15, 15 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
ABonna
@annairamgo

I'm curious to know about why you're professor advised against Yale. Right now the only schools I have is Yale and Columbia GSAPP to choose from and really going through my list of pros and cons of each program.
Mar 15, 15 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
annairamgo

@aab2214 @archhopeful

I thought the first year building project was incredibly interesting and one of the most exciting parts about the Yale program. This in addition to the faculty and in addition to the facilities at Yale (their fabrication labs look SO exciting). Plus, apparently Yale gives you a computer + 2 desktop monitors + 2 desks (correct me if I'm wrong). So, I was really excited about the prospect of attending Yale. However, a lot of the younger non-academic people who told me not to pay attention to Yale simply do not like the atmosphere at Yale. They told me a very specific type of person goes to Yale and to be sure that I was that person - they made playful references to martini parties w Robert Stern (not sure what the problem with that is, haha). I just found it pretty weird that in addition to the younger people who work at the office I intern at, that much older people, like professors told me Yale simply was not worth it - they don't agree/do not buy into the pedagogy. They didn't go into much detail, but I didn't really find a reason to question it after so many people that I look up to said it. 

To be fair, a lot of people at MIT talk negatively about the GSD and say that it is a very hostile competitive environment, and I'm sure those comments are just as biased as the ones I heard about Yale, but I just trust the people who made those comments. 

@roman_architec

I really don't think the GRE matters all that much, and I definitely know of students who got into top tier programs with low GPAs, but obviously if you do have high scores and high GPAs, it will only help your chances. 

I think your portfolio is definitely the most important part of your application. I think its hard to say how people with average portfolios get into top tier programs... I think recommendations play a much larger role than one might think. Either way, I think it's useless to try to think which is most important. There are so many endless combinations that make up a strong applicant. You just have to put your best foot forward and hope for the best!! Good luck! 

Mar 15, 15 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@annairamgo That's interesting...I kind of have a feeling that most of these negatives towards all the "top" schools are just a culture of bashing the other programs no matter what. I agree with you about everything: the first year housing project, the faculty, the facilities and what Yale provides you all sound absolutely amazing. I even think the martini parties with Dean Stern sound fun! (haha) When I visited in the fall, it seemed like that was just part of the camaraderie and close-knit community there (but I have heard people at the GSD talk down about Yale because of this point, which I don't really get). I wonder what type of "specific person" or atmosphere the people you spoke with were talking about. At the fall open house, I also got the impression that the GSD was much more hostile/competitive (and perhaps unhealthy?) of an environment. I'm going to visit both next month for their open houses to make a final decision. I think it's probably important to explore all the options on your own and not be guided too much by others opinions/biases about schools they didn't attend, you know?

Mar 15, 15 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
conniehuidi

@archhopeful Yale program sounds really amazing to me. Stern's dean letter is what makes me apply to Yale and really wanna go there. However, I heard Stern is stepping down next year and some major changes may happen to Yale program. I won't be able to visit GSD/Yale, but if it is possible, maybe you will have some insights/first-hand information to share after your school visit? I would really love to know your open house experience! Thanks in advance. On a side note, any news from Yale financial aid?

Mar 16, 15 12:19 am  · 
 · 
dannyviln

Looks like there are a few people that got into GSAPP and are certain they won't be attending.. Please let admissions know as soon as possible for the sake of the waitlisted.

I applied to GSAPP, Pratt, Parsons and Spitzer (CCNY), got into CCNY and Parsons (with a 50% tuition scholarship), waitlisted at GSAPP and waiting to hear from Pratt.

Any advice on Parsons/CCNY?

Mar 16, 15 9:24 am  · 
 · 
video_killed

Undergraduate degree: B.A. Economics modified with Mathematics

GPA: 3.2/4.0

GRE scores (V/Q/W): 168 / 166 / 4.5

PORTFOLIO: My portfolio consisted of 4 projects (6 2-page spreads, plus some random, mediocre drawings and travel sketches tacked on to the back I probably shouldn't have included): 2 Career Discovery projects, the shared house and the film archive (gotta wonder if admissions committees are really sick of seeing these projects by now since everyone uses them). A project from a design-build workshop I did last summer, and a chair I'd designed and built. It was really short, since I had zero fine arts experience and had only taken one architecture course in college, plus Career Discovery. 

Letters of Recommendation: I feel pretty confident I had 3 stellar letters of recommendation, and one I'm not sure about. They were from my Career Disco instructor, the prof I took arch 1 with in college, and an interior designer I've been working for on and off for the past 3 years. Disco instructor is now a GSD prof, though I'm not sure how much that actually helped me. Also got a rec from one of the leaders of the design-build workshop, though I didn't know him very well, but that I thought might have been helpful because he could comment on that experience in the letter. 

IN:

Columbia GSAPP + $ :(

Penn + $$

Michigan + $

RISD + $$

UC Berkeley + ?

OUT: 

Harvard GSD

Cornell (wtf)

WAIT LISTED: 

MIT :(

NO RESPONSE: 

UCLA

Preferences: I am pretty heartbroken to be on the waitlist at MIT. But was really excited to get into Columbia, even if it is so prohibitively expensive. I'm going to the open houses at Columbia, Penn, and MIT (mostly because I want to hear Elizabeth Diller speak there, she's one of my architectural heroes), but it's looking like I will probably be in New York for the next 3 years. 

Application Tips: I feel like I am a poster child for anyone stalking these forums asking "I have no (or very little) architecture or fine arts background coming out of college. Can I get into good architecture programs??" Yes. Yes you can. It's just going to be a helluva lot harder of a process than someone who can already fill a portfolio with pages and pages of beautiful work. And you're going to have to teach yourself a lot of the skills they've been developing for years. 

If you're interested in my full story, application process, and specifics for what I did during my 2 years off between UG and M.Arch 1, you can find it here. I recently wrote it up in another thread, mostly for future generations of applicants looking for advice on what worked for me to get into some of these programs. 

Mar 16, 15 11:47 am  · 
 · 
natematt

^I used to like Diller a lot more before she condemned the Folk Art Museum... still love the firm's work

Also, congrats!

Mar 16, 15 11:52 am  · 
 · 
video_killed

@natematt I agree the whole Folk Art MoMA thing was a debacle. But DS+R also signed on to the project after the decision to raze the building had already been made (though it's true, they could have fought harder to preserve it). Only time will tell if the right call was made there. 

Mar 16, 15 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
drewheller

UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE:

B.S. Architecture, Spanish Studies Minor, University of Minnesota

GPA:  3.83/4.0

GRE scores (V/Q/W):  153/154/4.0

PORTFOLIO: 5 studio projects

# of letter of recommendations: 4 letters : 3 studio professors, dean of undergraduate

SCHOOLS applied + Results + Funds awarded: M Arch 1 (First Professional)

IN:

GSAPP

Rice $$$

OUT:

GSD

UC Berkeley

UT Austin

WAIT LISTED: None

Preferences:

Currently leaning toward Rice. The program seems like it could be a good fit and I would not graduate with the financial burden that would result from attending GSAPP.  I'm not certain about Houston, but at least it's a large city and Rice offers fellowships/grants to travel.

Application Tips/Other Thoughts:

I would agree that the portfolio is the most important part of the application, followed by letters of recommendation and the personal statement. Make sure that your application is tied together as a body of work. The committee should see the same message presented in your statement, and portfolio. You also have to consider whether or not you are a good fit for the school. Be sure to research the programs well before starting your applications. Austin was the school I was least interested in/the school I knew the least about. I would guess that's part of the reason I was not accepted there. Berkeley didn't seem like the best fit. I was more so applying for the great location. Definitely put the most effort into Rice/GSAPP/GSD and am very happy to get into two of the three.

Mar 16, 15 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@Video_Killed

I am a lot more upset with MOMA about it.

Mar 16, 15 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
howdidigethere

Undergraduate degree: BA in Social Science field

- GPA: 3.07

- Portfolio: Design projects done at a local college night course. Drawing/artwork. Professional work from previous field and some creative writing.

- GRE scores: 166/155/4.0

- # of letter of recommendations: 4ish letters - 2 studio professors, 1 former employer, 1 professor who was late and submitted only to some schools.

SCHOOLS applied + Results + Funds awarded: All programs are M.Arch 1 

- IN

IIT

Oregon

WUSTL- Waiting on aid

Virginia Tech+$$$

- OUT

Syracuse

- WAITLIST

None officially

- NO RESPONSE

Michigan

Cincinnati

-PREFERENCE

Will visit  VT and WUSTL, and maybe Oregon to check them out.  Waiting on WUSTL aid decision but VT will be hard to beat. Some tough choices ahead.

TIPS 

Low GPA. My portfolio was nothing special, certainly not as good as some I've seen on here. Ivies were out of the question. I think adcoms are a bit easier on those coming from non-design backgrounds. A strong personal statement with clear reasons why you want to get into this profession, what you want to do in it, and why this school will help you get there is important. If you can show potential and commitment, and mesh with their philosophy, I think you can get into some solid programs. People who like you and write nice recommedation letters can't hurt either.

Mar 16, 15 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@seedsnstems
It seems like private schools are very over-represented on this forum, especially since plenty of cheaper public schools are ranked highly as well...

Another reason is that there is a tendency for the Ivy goers to scare other people off. I don't want to fault them, because it's not really intentional. Mostly I think it's the tenacity with which they profess superiority of one school over another, it's intimidating for a lot of people.

Mar 16, 15 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

Undergraduate degree: BArch 2007 / MUP 2013

GPA: 3.6

GRE scores (V/Q/W): What is that? :)

PORTFOLIO: See my profile

Letters of Recommendation: One from my boss and two ones from my college professors.

IN: Michigan $$$, 

OUT: GSD, Columbia, Oregon 

WAIT LISTED:

NO RESPONSE: 

U. Washington (the only reason I would go to this school is its location, the Pacific Northwest - the most beautiful place on earth)

UPenn

Preferences:

Going to Michigan!

Good luck guys!

Mar 16, 15 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
dannyviln

M.ARCH I at Pratt or Parsons?

Mar 17, 15 9:40 am  · 
 · 
kgxkg

Undergraduate degree: BArch (VT)

GPA: 3.8

GRE scores (V/Q/W): lol

PORTFOLIO:

Letters of Recommendation: 3 letters, one each from dean of undergrad, thesis adviser, and a visiting German professor.

IN: GSAPP (MSAAD)

OUT:

WAIT LISTED:

NO RESPONSE:

Preferences: Will be attending Columbia

Tips: 

try not

do or

do not

there is

no try

Mar 17, 15 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
archnomad

@archhopeful, could you share ur portfolio? just out of curiosity...you got in many of my dream schools!

Mar 17, 15 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
citizencities

Undergraduate degree: Urban Studies, Molecular Environmental Biology @ UC Berkeley

GPA: 3.04

GRE scores (V/Q/W): 154/158/4.0

PORTFOLIO: Private message me for portfolio link.

Letters of Recommendation: 1 Professor (former GSD Prof), 1 studio instructor, 1 State Assemblyman (Harvard Law Alumnus), 1 Career Discovery Instructor

IN: Harvard GSD ($$$) [MLA I]

OUT: N/A

WAIT LISTED: N/A

NO RESPONSE: N/A

Preferences: The GSD was the only school I applied to.

Tips: I did the Career Discovery Program in 2013 and I absolutely loved my experience at the GSD. I was considering applying to Penn, but decided not to last minute because I just couldn't get myself to finish the application (had a meh experience at the open house). My main tip is to try to apply to only a few schools you absolutely KNOW is a fit for you both pedagogically and culturally. Don't spread yourself to thin. Try not to get too much feedback on your portfolio (I only shared mine with a few people). Get to know faculty and make a good first impression so they can remember your name/face among the hundreds that apply. Don't be afraid to be bold with your personal statement -- I think ad-comm loves to read your ideas and thoughts about the design field of your choosing. Answer "why design? why this program? why this school? why now? why you?". Add anecdotes to make the statement more personal to the school/readers -- cater to the audience. GPA doesn't matter too much (I mean look at mine), but I believe they do take into consideration the rigor/rank of your university when considering GPA/GRE scores.

Be bold. Be creative. Be known. Be confident. 

Mar 17, 15 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
asystemofbeliefs

Undergraduate degree: B.Arch – 2009

GPA: 3.67

GRE scores (V/Q/W): 158/159/3.5

PORTFOLIO: Upon Request

Letters of Recommendation: 2 Professional – Principal (NYC) & Principal (EU) / 1 Educational – Thesis Advisor (VT)

SCHOOLS (Applied + Results + Funds awarded): All M.Arch II / Post Professional

IN:

Cornell ($)

Columbia

OUT:

GSD

Princeton

WAIT LISTED: 

Yale

NO RESPONSE: 

MIT

Tips: If possible, visit the open houses. Talking to both faculty and students gave me a much better idea of what I was looking for in a program, and what would be a good fit. I also found it very helpful in aligning the applications with the particular pedagogy of each program.

Mar 18, 15 11:41 am  · 
 · 
YLMS

Age: 35 | Sex: F | Citizenship: China (US permanent resident)

Undergraduate degree: Liberal arts college (economics and fine art double major) – 2003

GPA: 4.0

GRE scores (V/Q/W): 162/168/4.0

PORTFOLIO: Upon Request

Letters of Recommendation: previous boss, founder and leader of the non-profit organizations that i volunteer at, college professor (none of which are in the architecture or related fields)

SCHOOLS (Applied + Results + Funds awarded): M.Arch I

IN:

GSD

Columbia

Cornell ($)

Penn

Pratt ($$)

OUT:

MIT

Yale

Berkeley

Tips: I hope that my story encourages those older applicants with no industry/academic background. I have been working in finance for the past 12 years and none of my recommenders are in the architectural field. However, I spent six months on my portfolio and went into great length in my personal statement explaining the rationale of my career change. Pursuing architecture is something that I have desired since the age of 16 but because of immigration, family, and money challenges, I gave up my dream a few times. I believe that I was genuine about my dilemma and personal struggle in my portfolio and personal statement.

Mar 19, 15 9:46 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

"I believe that I was genuine about my dilemma and personal struggle in my portfolio and personal statement."

35 and staring down the barrel of architecture... you may want to revisit the quote above at 45.

Do you applicants read any of the other threads?

Oh, yeah, wont happen to you, forgot.

Of course they'll take your money and your soul too.

Mar 19, 15 9:59 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Well, if you're an established practicing architect at the moment, all you have to do is come here and realize that you have a slew of CAD monkeys to constantly choose from. Not that you didn't know that already, all you have to do is open your "info" email box and look at all the fancy resumes and portfolios you get on a daily basis.

The old adage, you can take a horse to water, but you cant make it drink.

Mar 19, 15 10:09 am  · 
 · 
dannyviln

@YLMS congrats!! amazing! where do you think you'll go?

Mar 19, 15 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
YLMS

@dannyviln: I will attend all the open house and make an informed decision then. I currently live in NYC so moving my family involves a bit of work, but if my husband is totally cool with working remotely, i'm leaning towards Cornell or GSD.

Mar 19, 15 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

"Pursuing architecture is something that I have desired since the age of 16 but because of immigration, family, and money challenges, I gave up my dream a few times. I believe that I was genuine about my dilemma and personal struggle in my portfolio and personal statement"

Hm... very interesting, very interesting.

That's what I wrote last year in my essay for GSD, but the only difference there was that I was an European immigrant rather chines, so I guess I seemed less sorry for the holy committee of GSD...

No love for Europeans in US anymore... coz we killed Indians I guess (that's what I was told ones)...

How Ironic things can get...

Mar 19, 15 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
verticalgaze

Can we stop with these hopeless delusions and self-pity statements? These schools have the first-professional programs because a lot of people change into architecture for whatever reason. They explicitly state that it is ok to not have a background. A lot of people apply to graduate school and even college for the first time way beyond the age of most members here so there's nothing unique or difficult about being an unrelated background or old.

There's what, like only forty applicant results in here? A lot more seats out there for anyone willing to pay the whole way and plenty who simply just move forward without constant validation or insecurity. Reason young people don't typically go is tremendous debt and poor prospects; reason old people don't change jobs is career expectations, retirement and responsibilities. The "I have a dream" outliers are typically those with rich spouses, rich family, or don't really think about money at all (either ignorant of debt or aiming for debt forbearance in time). There's a bunch each year and the message never seems to be sent across.

I've been here awhile under different names and seen DeTwan's posts. Sometimes it annoys me but he's making a good point: that if you incur this much debt and simply go after some naive dream, then this field will lead to more disappointment than joy. The only people laughing are those who receive your money: faculty, school, government, credit card companies, etc. Unless they offer you tuition, then join the party if living costs work out and the opportunity opens doors--let the other suckers pay your way.

But the financial reality is always ignored. Always the same questions about debt and risk each year as if no one else has ever been in the same situation before.

Mar 19, 15 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: