Archinect
anchor

Gothic Architecture

IADR

I need to write an essay on a specific piece of gothic architecture; and I know most students in my class are going to do the norm and write about something like Notredam (been there done that).
Are there any gothic structures which you could tell me that have a certain qwerk or characteristic that is interesting and is not very well known maybe.
I looked on greatbuildings.com....not much, and most gothic structures seemed similar when I did a search on google.

Thank you.

Dec 23, 04 5:07 pm
Pimpanzee
Warped Gothic

Study Gaudi and his abstraction from the Gothic Style (Warped Gothic) The hanging models were an exploration of an inverted Funicular Arch, AKA catenary, to help better understand how forces flow through the building.....gothic architecture is best known for exploitation of the limits of masonry and timber construction - long spans, impressive arches, etc. Gaudi was a maverick architect influenced heavily by the gothic style.

Dec 23, 04 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

Cathedral of Beauvais, highest stone arch in the world, once had a spire at 500 ft., the first human structure higher than the Great Pyramid of Egypt. at least check out Banistar Flethcher's HISTORY OF ARCHITECTURE ON THE COMPARATIVE METHOD.

Dec 23, 04 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Black_River_Books

Good afternoon all, not sure if anyone would be interested, but I have recently listed a leather bound first edition of Charles Herbert Moore's: Development and Character of Gothic Architecture, 1890 for sale. This edition is unique in that it includes a signed letter by Mr. Moore discussing the recent publication of his book (date 1890, Cambridge). In addition, the back end page has an attached envelope with the original newspaper release articles for the book (London and Pittsburgh (?)). Other than art history and bibliophiles, I thought someone on the forum may be interested in acquiring the book. It can be viewed on Ebay by searching the title/author. Please feel free to respond with any questions. Thanks in advance! BRB

Jan 16, 18 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

"Are there any gothic structures which you could tell me that have a certain qwerk or characteristic that is interesting"

King's College Chapel - breathtaking vault, apparently the largest fan vault in the world (mostly associated with English Gothic)

Jan 17, 18 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
traveller48

The Gothic aesthetic is becoming very popular and many people now decorate their homes in this Gothic style. There are two main types of Gothic Home Decoration; the first is very traditional, very Victorian, and dark colors with lots of lace and tapestries. The other Gothic home decor style is very dark with a lot of black, very dark green, and red. This type of room decor looks great with very old furniture such as Chinese and perfectly aged glassware. If you are curious about Gothic Architecture, I found an excellent article that I would recommend for you, you should definitely read it :)

Apr 1, 21 7:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: