Archinect
anchor

Thesis topic: AUTOMOBILE MUSEUM

chloezee

I am a final year student, Can anybody please help me with my topic AUTOMOBILE MUSEUM? even a minute info will be appreciable.  

Jan 22, 15 1:14 pm
BulgarBlogger

again- an "automobile museum" is not a thesis topic... it's a project. 

Jan 22, 15 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Use removable turf instead of floor tiles.

Jan 22, 15 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

just make the building look like a giant car or a piece of a car like a rim or some shit...you will kill it!

Jan 22, 15 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ a hub cap perhaps, depending on the budget.

Jan 22, 15 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
HotelSphinx

If that's all you have so far as a "thesis topic" I would recommend not doing a thesis.

Jan 22, 15 2:18 pm  · 
1  · 
curtkram

pfft.  a car museum that looks like a car is schtick.  your professors will want to see some creativity.  make it look like a duck.

Jan 22, 15 2:48 pm  · 
2  · 
placebeyondthesplines
  1. That is not a thesis.
  2. We're not going to do your project for you.
  3. How did you get through years of school being so unbelievably lazy?
Jan 22, 15 6:53 pm  · 
1  · 
chigurh

You could also investigate the idea of making the museum look like a car shaped like a duck, or an amphibious vehicle, or the oscar mayer weinermobile.  So many good ideas coming your way.    

Jan 22, 15 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

The most important thing is to watch out for sinkholes. They'll eat up the cars!

Jan 22, 15 10:35 pm  · 
1  · 
anjana r

as for automobile museum,, i want to do thesis on making this museum with a auto trade fair center and test drive center with race trackings .. is that will be good enough for THESIS ??

Oct 13, 16 3:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
No.
Start by understanding what a thesis is.
Oct 13, 16 4:11 am  · 
 · 

Things to consider:

Many cars in the museum are likely to not be operational so having a system to move them is crucial.  you need lots of space to view a car it is a big object and works best with 20-30 feet between viewer and car. Moisture control and protection from the sun is key to preservation. 

Will your "thesis" and or capstone project focus on one type of car or one brand/model

People here get all in a tissy when you use the term thesis when in the purest ivy tower sense of it all a thesis is a research paper. Your program probably calls it a thesis when it is actually a project, but a big one at that. People commenting on the thesis is not a project but a question tangent are reacting to your departments poor choice of words in describing the curriculum so don't take that part too personally.

Sounds like a fun project, but seriously Midlander is right sinkholes huge problem for car museums.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Oct 13, 16 8:33 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

It's a program issue;  How are the vehicles displayed?  By manufacturer, year, type? Is it a themed museum like genre or specific time period or manufacturer?  

Display issues;  A Baja 1000 high speed off-road vehicle should be displayed different than an Indy racer..  Ditto with Street cars, versus dragsters, etc.   

Disagreed with Peter N about view distance.  Interiors and drivetrain are important elements to the design.  Sort of like saying buildings are best viewed from a block away and a stripped out interior isn't important.  Cars are a interactive experience and that is what makes them famous.  So maybe the question might be how to capture and experience 'the ride'.  I'd image the visual, audial, etc. are critical.  I know lighting, like any museum is required.

Should also note that it isn't museum quality if it isn't a running vehicle.  There needs to be servicing areas and tool rooms too.  As for moving; you drive it or push it or use a special manual forklift thing to dolly it into position.  Don't forget elevators to move them.  You might be able to do a ramp system; just keep in mind that in the real world that's a liability since cars roll.

Hell, you can even have fun if you get to choose the building.  Hot rodders have molested and beat car bodies  to do whatever they want from the design.  You could do this to some building too.

Oct 13, 16 10:23 am  · 
 · 
landarchscapes

Wow, some of these comments are brutal. 

Oct 13, 16 11:58 am  · 
1  · 
chris-chitect

I truly enjoyed the Mercedes Museum and Porsche Museum, both in Stuttgart. 

The Mercedes Museum is far more about telling a story, you start at the top of the building as you often do in a museum/gallery and make your way down. it's very logical and straight forward. There was an interview with the architect from UNStudio who did the building. I seem to remember him wanting to portray a sense of velocity as you move through the building. 

The Porsche museum was done by a smaller firm from Austria I think. It's a lot more chaotic and disorganized, but has some nice angles to it. There's not a strong sense of story in the building and even less sense of brand identity in it. 

As for viewing distances I'd say they can vary. Some cars you want to get right up close to. I remember crouching down on my knees to take a very close look at a cross section through a Porsche. 

Oct 13, 16 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

Mightyaa, I don't disagree with the need for up close interaction with the cars on display just putting it out there that they also should have some space around them, this is not a dealers parking lot kind of situation. Simulating road conditions literally or figuratively can be an interesting direction to go in with this project.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Oct 14, 16 9:19 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Sorry if I was a bit rough on you Peter; rough week with the Owner discussing branding and the market for this hotel.  Short story is the site is extremely close to a very active car community area with a lot going on regularly.  It's also close to a concert venue and hiking trail system.  So my uber biking car share peers (whom I know can't afford a motorized toy), are blindly focused on everything 'not car' because they don't understand that culture or who is in that market.   

Without getting too wordy, a '56 Chevy Nomad hot rod is a $60k-90k car, a custom rod or drag car will exceed six figures.  And that doesn't take into account these are 'toys' and the implications of the income levels of these folks or how they tend to congregate like no others; car shows, weekend drives, clubs, etc.  But no..... lets market to a hiker who takes a bus out to the area or uses car share.  F'n urban hippies... :P

Oct 14, 16 11:26 am  · 
 · 
tahilkhaldon

can anyone help me guys with my research AUTOMOBILE MUSEUM? I'm cramming! ohw noooo!

Apr 6, 21 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

you should do a thesis on auto museum thesis crowd-sourcing attempts. Plenty of info on this website... no need to go anywhere else.

Apr 6, 21 3:22 pm  · 
1  · 
whistler

Ferrari Museum in Moderna was spectacular.  Mostly because they had a test drive center across the street with podium "girls" under umbrellas to assist you with finding a parking spot ( it was 42 degree C ). then they directed you to the test lot and allowed you to test drive one of the pre-selected Ferraris for about 20 minutes.  Best 100 euros I could have ever spent.... and yes Flippo my guide driver allowed me to take it flat out, never been so scared and exhilarated at the same time. haha

Apr 6, 21 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Needless to say both my boys were beyond excited! (Flippo giving me direction on the use of Paddle shifters)

Apr 6, 21 8:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: