Archinect
anchor

The new Design Museum of Barcelona by Martorell, Bohigas, Mackay architects

The brand new Museum of Design in Barcelona by Martorell, Bohigas, Mackay architects opened last week. I took a plane to visit it in person as well as to shoot some photos of the building and the exhibition galleries. The building is quite interesting but I don't like the zinc cladding which is a bit dull, guess it will get better over time when it will develop a patina. 

I post here some of the most interesting images.

Additionally,

I prepared a full article in two parts, you can see it here: http://www.inexhibit.com/case-studies/barcelona-discovering-disseny-hub-01/

Dec 22, 14 7:53 am
midlander

Thanks for posting. The form of the building is nice - kind of looks like a re-interpretation of Marcel Breuer's style.

But the interiors look ordinary and institutional, and that plaza is charmless. How did you feel seeing them in person?

I visited Barcelona 10 years ago and remember walking around this area near the Agbar tower - it was kind of a mess with construction and road work. It had a very suburban approach to building setbacks and site usage that contradicted the logic of Cerda's plan. Is that still the case around this site? It's a shame when bad planning undermines good architecture.

Dec 22, 14 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

Dear midlander,

the interiors are not bad, although not very spectacular. The escalators space is quite dynamic but a bit too tight to be truly iconic.

The plaza is quite ordinary, the pool below is nice but the public space lacks a proper landscape design with almost no trees and a lawn which access is forbidden for no apparent reason. Probably the area is a bit better compared to what you have once seen there, because the public realm has been redesigned trying to link the Agbar tower and the Museum to one another. Nevertheless I suppose this outdoor space will be absolutely unwelcoming and overheated in summer: too much concrete paving and too few shading and refreshing vegetation.

Dec 23, 14 10:03 am  · 
 · 
3tk

The escalators do look great, at least in the photos - I enjoyed the tight circulation spaces in many of the buildings in BCN, makes nice changes in tempo.  Sad to see such a poor use of outdoor space in a city that has so many lovely plazas and parks.  bummer.

Nice addition to the architecture of the city though - can't wait to see it some time.

Dec 23, 14 10:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: