Archinect
anchor

MArch I from non-architecture background

liberochoi

Hello all,

I have read lots of postings in this forum but I still want to ask you directly on my situation. 

24 // F // International

Bachelor's in Economics // NYU // Graduated in 2013

GPA 3.58

GRE not taken yet

Currently working in the Financial Industry

I have took diverse courses from undergrad: philosophy, political science, art history, calculus, black and white photography (only art related class), and AP calculus, AP physics, AP chemistry were taken during my high school years and received AP score 4 or 5 on them.

My background does not have anything to do with Architecture. However, my dream field has always been Architecture and now I decided not to ignore my innate passion anymore. I made my mind to go to school to get trained up to become an architect.

My concerns are: 1) my knowledge is very shallow to write some sort of philosophy on architecture for mission statement - I can explain the reason, passion, purpose, however, I feel these are not enough to persuade readers to get me a spot on their program.  2) I have no idea what I should do for portfolio. Portfolio is literally a very big concern...

I am aiming to apply for 2016 Sep program. I have about an year to prepare. But I am and will be working to make my own livings, which means that I do not feel I would have huge capacity to prepare for applications. But I still think that this time frame is not too bad.

I would deeply appreciate for your advices. Please help!!!

Thanks.

Oct 13, 14 1:01 am
bugsmetoo

1) You don't need to write a philosophy on architecture. Who told you that was a requirement?  Most of them simply want to know what you want to do in the program, how your past will help, and some other basic questions that leaves the statement open for interpretation.

2) If you have the funds, one of those summer exploration programs might be useful. Although there are likely some resources locally (don't know where you are) that can be leveraged for little to no cost. Portfolio is a concern for many but they're not expecting genius talent from a non-related undergraduate. Showcasing potential is the key.

And it's best not to mention that "my dream and passion" paragraph in statements. It's corny and contrived. 

Oct 13, 14 3:19 am  · 
 · 
subgenius

Do  not sweat it. I had an unrelated undergraduate degree when I went in for my Masters. If you want to feel "prepared", simply learn a few fundamentals. For example, check out a few Ching books and review a few basic structural engineering concepts. School will provide everything else. Most programs have a path for students like yourself.

Your biggest struggle will likely be "over-thinking".

Oct 13, 14 8:16 am  · 
 · 

@subgenuis 

" Your biggest struggle will likely be "over-thinking". "

I agree!! i have an unrelated background too.I'm starting to apply from next week for Fall 2015 sessions and that is THE BIGGEST STRUGGLE at the moment. 

Nov 27, 14 1:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: