Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Review (Is it good enough for applying to MArch II?)

Hello,

I am an international applicant 24 years old, have 2+ years of work experience.

I have actually applied to GSD and MIT two years ago. Back then my GRE result was very low and maybe my portfolio was not as good as it is now, I also did some workshops during these 2 years. But I'm still scared to get rejections again. I would like to receive some feedback regarding my portfolio and CV (you can find it here). What do you think are there any chances to get in or if not what would you suggest to do before the going to graduate school?

Thanks in advace.

Ani

Oct 1, 14 7:39 am
subgenius

Keep things simple. The overall body of work seems fine and indicative of "who" you are, so that will be a measure only the schools will assess. However, i would suggest that you consider the cohesive nature of your portfolio..the "body" for your body of work. There seems to be a lack of a common thread running across the fabric of each page. The layout, theme, and presentation seem a little disconnected from each other. Your information and images need a pretty little bow to tie them together. 

Oct 1, 14 9:46 am  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Have you changed any of that since? The link seems to be a reflection of you two years ago and there must have been things you have learned and done since.

Oct 1, 14 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for the replies.

Subgenius is what you are saying means that the texts and the images are too big or too much? I'll try to make it more flowing.

I was actually more interested in feedbacks regarding my overall work rather than how the portfolio is organised. Like I need to understand if I qualify for MArch degree or if not do you know any premaster courses that I could take?

Bugsmetoo actually 5 out of the 7 selected works I have done during the past 2 years. Could you please let me know made you think like that?

Oct 1, 14 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

It says 2 years ago on the page. And unless I am looking at the wrong file or ISSUU suddenly changed formats, that line means (Uploaded) 2 years ago.

I have to assume these are old concepts, likely not the final output.

Oct 1, 14 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Never mind, I think you managed to replace whatever old file was there but didn't change the metadata.

It's short and brief. Not sure what you want to convey as the focal point.

Oct 1, 14 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, I have updated the link. I dо have at least 5 projects more. 

Ok, I will include more projects.

Oct 1, 14 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

Not familiar with MIT, but with GSD in general (although I'm not familar with M.Arch II either sorry) you have some extra work to do (this is only my opinion). I do understand that you wanted to keep things very concise, but currently your portfolio tells us nothing except what the projects looks like. I'm not saying that the projects are good or bad in any kind of way though. You need to explain the concept and the development process behind your projects, not via text, but visually. Assume that no one's going to read your text if it's more than two sentences (doesn't matter if this is true or not). Through diagrams and/or sketches, relevant study models with brief texts accompanied. Redo/add to your academic projects if needed. I've digitalized my works from my first and second years of undergrad, made diagrams i didn't have before, and etc. Also adding a selection of art/design work other than architectural work in the last part of the portfolio is always a plus.

Oct 1, 14 9:36 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks, I appreciate your advice.

Oct 2, 14 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Nowhere near good enough for MIT or the GSD.

Oct 6, 14 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: