Archinect
anchor

My Architect on Cinemax

David Cuthbert

My Architect is now showing on Cinemax; this documentary on the life & work of Architect Louis Kahn. Produced & Directed by his son Nathenial Kahn.

Nov 24, 04 6:51 am
spaghetti

sigh.. i wish i had cinemax... any word on a dvd release yet?

Nov 24, 04 7:05 am  · 
 · 
juan moment

the dvd is going to be released next february *(according to my netflix queue)

Nov 24, 04 10:42 am  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

I'm going to get cinimax and watch it. Thanks jam-arch. I don't know how the younger crowd views Kahn's work but I thought his work good for his place in time. Is his son in film as a profession or is this a one off tribute, does anyone know?

Nov 24, 04 11:01 am  · 
 · 
db

Nathanial Kahn is not an architect, only a documentarian. He also did a somewhat questionable documentary on M Night Shaymalan for SCI-FI network. Not sure if he has done other stuff as well.

There's also another documentary running here and there on Sundance/IFC called "My Father, the Genius" about Glenn Small, one of the founders of SCI-Arc. Man, what a trip he is....

Nov 24, 04 11:22 am  · 
 · 
gustav

alpha:
Place in time?

Nov 24, 04 11:24 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

I've heard that nathenial kahn through the response gained by the architectural community may be doing other architectural documentaries. I heard it mention with BBC...maybe direction with design spaces?

Nov 24, 04 11:28 am  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

Gustav-
Kahn was not prone to rationalize the need to push blobs out of Maya - but maybe would have been the first if he was 25 and just out of school some 10-15 years ago...

Nov 24, 04 11:37 am  · 
 · 
JG

what other architects could be subjects for interesting documentaries? I was thinking Gaudi, Speer, or the Eames.

Nov 24, 04 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

A tv network in hong kong has actually produced a series of documentaries on modernist architects. I've only seen two - IM Pei and Kevin Roche. They are not of the personal nature that "my architect" is, but rather they interview the architects and focus on their desires for their work.

Nov 24, 04 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

I think the personal touch is what's missing in many documetaries....I particularly liked/enjoyed the expression of the Bangledeshi architect who spoke to N. Kahn whilst he was in the middle of shooting inside the headquarters building, in bangledesh. Pretty powerful stuff (completely unscripted and effective).

Nov 24, 04 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

alpha:
define "younger crowd" because I am 26 and I think Kahn's work is some of the most beautiful, awe inspiring architecture I have ever experienced and wish that there were more people like him around today. That last scene in the doc where the other architect was describing the importance and beauty of his building ( the city complex one in bangladesh I think) re-affirmed why it is doing what I am doing.

Nov 24, 04 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

i had a recent conversation with Nathaniel Kahn about the filming of My Architect. if i have some time this long weekend i will transcribe our conversation for a Monday feature. if not, this interview will be published at another time in the (very) near future. i also had an engaging discussion with Joseph Vitarelli, the film's composer, which will published here soon as well.

Nov 24, 04 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

I am glad to hear you say that aeaa - I completely agree, and 26 is borderline, on the high side, younger crowd.

Your's is just one opinion but a thoughtful one. Thanks.

Nov 24, 04 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

there are a few similar documentaries out there

there's a new one on gaudi (produced out of japan), featuring stills and background music....no words, labels, etc...true cinematic minimalism

theres a few on maya lin - post veit memorial, thoughts on the 9/11 proposals etc

also supposed to be by rolex on the mentor program

there are out there just have to look

Nov 25, 04 11:36 am  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

thx paul.

Nov 25, 04 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

Best Architect to Ever Grace The Earth.

Nov 25, 04 11:25 pm  · 
 · 

A Party of Renaissance Personalities
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/26/arts/design/26cott.html
[note the exhibit ends 13 February 2005, the quondam feast of Saint Catherine de Ricci.]

13 February 2004
http://www.quondam.com/03/0269.htm
http://www.quondam.com/03/0270.htm
http://www.quondam.com/03/0271.htm

[13 February 2005 is the scheduled date of the Saint Catherine de Ricci and Louis I. Kahn presentation of "Reenactionary Bilocation Architecturism", while the Marcel Duchamp and C. Paul Jennewein presentation of "Nudist Camp at the Philadelphia Museum of Art" is set for 20 March 2005. Since Bronzino's PORTRAIT OF COSIMO I DE'MEDICI AS ORPHEUS --
http://www.quondam.com/02/0193.htm and http://www.quondam.com/05/0442.htm --
is a key part of "Nudist Camp..." a bilocation of both papers would make a better reality.]

Nov 26, 04 9:06 am  · 
 · 
gustav

alpha:
What does the blob want to be?
A brick.

Nov 26, 04 11:00 am  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

ok mr. kahn-gustav...

hmm a brick blob. sounds too contextural for the original louis.

Nov 26, 04 11:06 am  · 
 · 

Seriously, every brick just wants to get laid.

Nov 26, 04 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
gustav

...and scored.

Nov 26, 04 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
icedragon

I just saw My architech it was great. Does any one else know any other Architech documentaries or movies.

Nov 7, 05 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
sharpie.

i saw 'my architect' a few months back. i still remember the salk institute in the video. beaaautifully picturised! amazing architect and tremendous feel, gee! three women.

Nov 8, 05 1:12 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

paul- was that interview published?

Nov 8, 05 1:18 am  · 
 · 
dragthelake

its been out on dvd for a while

Nov 8, 05 8:33 am  · 
 · 
A

I've got a DVD copy of it. Been around at least since this spring. It's quite well done, although I watched it knowing already of Kahn. Friends of mine who hadn't heard of Kahn didn't find it nearly as interesting. It's an architect cult movie.

For me Kahn is one of my hero architects. I've never fully fallen for FLW work, but Kahn did it for me. I'm late 20's, so still young. The Salk institute is just amazing. In the film when they are interviewing at the capitol of Bangladesh and the man gets all teary eyed talking about the building and how great it is. Wow! That's the kind of architecture I aspire to create.

Nov 8, 05 9:15 am  · 
 · 
Emerson123

I don't think it's an architect cult movie. Everyone I know that has seen it that aren't architects liked it just as much for the story. Nathaniel Kahn did an amazing job not just on showing Lou's work but on documenting a son's journey toward understand his father. It was haunting, sad, uplifting, and humourous at the same time. Not just for architects.

As for his work, I have had dreams about the building in Dhaka. It is awe-inspiring.

Nov 8, 05 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Philip Gentleman

i heard there is a director's cut dvd coming out soon with an extended rollerblading sequence at the salk institute.

Nov 8, 05 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: