Archinect
anchor

Dynamo - Revit vs. Grasshopper-Rhino

A.I.

I've been trying to develop effective workflows for Rhino/Grasshopper -> Revit but I heard that an add-on for Revit called 'Dynamo' can do the same thing that Grasshopper does in Rhino.

Has anyone here used both and can provide feedback on the advantages/disadvantages of Dynamo vs. Grasshopper?

Thanks.

Aug 13, 14 3:37 am
archanonymous

Dynamo is more constrained, but offers many of the same types of paneling and rationalization tools. It is aimed mostly at facade and structural grid creation for space-frames and the like. I am sure in time it will develop some of the flexibility that GH+Rhino have, but for now it is somewhat limited.

Rhino+Grasshopper is more "open source" or at least partially-open ecosystem, is more established, has more tutorials, and many more add-ons and plug-ins including physics simulation, evolutionary solver, and other important tools. 

I would lean towards Dynamo for facade paneling and space frame/ canopy construction within a larger building design. 

I would lean towards GH + Rhino for smaller projects that will be digitally fabricated, more intricate parametric detailing, more advanced structural design and simulation.

If you want to write your own code in Python or C# or C++, it is much easier in GH, but they are working on that in Dynamo. 

Check out: http://www.theprovingground.org/ for a more complete discussion by one of the industry leaders in the design of computational tools for architects.

He (Nathan Miller) is currently working on more advanced and complete interoperability between Rhino+GH and Revit, so that all of the development and tools available in GH can be used on Revit projects. 

Aug 13, 14 9:35 am  · 
 · 

I saw a presentation about linking and updating models from Rhino to Revit.

http://blog.rhino3d.com/2014/02/control-revit-with-grasshopper.html

Pretty high tech stuff, I am curios to where it will go in the future.

Cheers,

Radu

Aug 14, 14 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
asmaaabulwafa

Thank you very much for your comments, they are very helpful 

Mar 17, 17 8:31 am  · 
 · 
MrVSNET

Use both. Start to think less this "versus" that, and more how you can put both app-players on your team. The nice thing about Revit and Rhino is they are easy customization platforms too.

What I mean by "easy" is they both interface Visual Basic 6 or VB.NET, as well as general scripting and C++ SDKs. If you are adventurous you could build models in them and then use the CRYENGINE SDK to explore the model potential more thoroughly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMjH2ii1OWU&t=13s

The reason why gaming 3D environments are unique is the user mobility is greater than the general 3D animation or 3D design typical interface.

In time an e-ready client can walk around a proposed design with their joystick and it would be virtually as easy to implement as any other 3D process in post production once you have the process.

In 1945 there was 1 computer and 1 programmer.

Mar 28, 17 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
naderbelal

The answer that was given to you archanonymous is the most accurate and complete, you could ever wish to find.

Jan 19, 18 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: