Archinect
anchor

Architecture to Non Profit to What?

twobie2

Looking for a little constructive advice. After graduating last year (B.S. Arch Studies) and not finding work in architecture (was planning on working a year or two in arch. before returning to school), I took a job working for a non-profit that builds schools, medical clinics, clean water systems overseas... We'll, we don't actually do the designing or building, but find opportunities and people who are doing good things that we can support, and hook them up with some funding to make it happen.

The work is cool so far except my boss is a surgeon and a total dick (also the main donor).

My question is, where the heck do I go from here? I could get a Masters in Arch but the prospects in Arch are not good. If you think money and prospects are bad in Arch try non-profit work! (even though I am being paid a comparable starting architect salary and only working about 30 hrs a week...)

I really want a graduate degree that could combine my previous arch education, with my non-profit management experience, and evolve into meaningful, stable career in something that doesnt suck.

Any ideas beyond the obvious M.Arch, MBA, or Law? Right now MBA is the most likely by default.

Jun 20, 11 8:35 pm
twobie2

nothing?

Jun 21, 11 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

if you wish to maximize money and minimize effort -- business school is your best bet. prepare to be bored.

Jun 21, 11 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Is the answer to your problem education? It seems to me that you (and a whole lot of other people) could probably do something worthwhile without running off to do a degree to justify it. If you are interested in what you are doing now, but can identify where some changes could be made, perhaps there is an answer there in respect to a new way of working. Who knows.

Jun 21, 11 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
barefoot

I'm also in a similar position and have gone back to a school that focuses on community development issues. And boy, did I have so much to learn from. Ground work is good, however, you still need the theoretical input and also critical perspective to understand the complexity of such work. If you wish to strive further in the community work direction then I would suggest you pursue a Graduate degree focused on these issues. Critical perspective in community architecture is absolutely necessary so definitely do not discount further education of yourself. However, if you wish to switch gears and do something more stable then by all means move forward in that direction. 

Jun 22, 11 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

http://archinect.com/news/article/10040392/21-bank-branches-vs-21-architecture-students

Go take this architecture class on how to rob a bank.  Combine that with your non profit experience and desire to help Viola!  you are Robin Hood

Jun 23, 11 1:05 am  · 
 · 
dali7114

twobie2_

Would you be up for talking through email? I have a few questions for you, related to what you are currently doing.  Josh: [email protected]

Thanks

Jun 24, 11 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
OP17

twobie2: 

If your looking for a Master's outside of architecture, I'd go for University of Michigan's Ross Business School.  One of my close friends from UofM Taubman College did a real-estate/urban planning competition project for a business class, and got paid afterwards (a few hundred dollars).  The business school is loaded+connected with business professionals--and coupled with a good crowd of Michigan Alums, you'll get what you pay for (provided that you do work your ass off; UofM is serious business).  Besides, it sounds like you want some social entrepreneur experience.  Michigan is a great place for that.

Jun 25, 11 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Twobie2:  You're work sounds very interesting actually.  It's kinda along the lines of what I've been pondering to get into myself these days.  My intial degree is in International Relations and I've been itching to figure out a way to incorporate into my present career.  How did you go about finding the position?  May I ask where you are located?

Jun 27, 11 8:34 am  · 
 · 
twobie2

Up for talking JP.

Melt... This position came as a result of already having volunteered in the non-profit world. Habitat for Humanity, and working on a few local community gardens. I was keeping myself busy while trying to find something to do that was somewhat related to my degree and the connections I made led me here.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions... I am confident in the end that passion will win out over money. It is just so hard to have faith in the traditional architecture route anymore however...

Jul 20, 11 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
archifarm

What's the name of the nonprofit you worked for?

Aug 8, 11 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: