Archinect
anchor

please help me decide whether to continue with arch

RValu100

Hi everyone,

I got accepted to an M.Arch program this spring, and am trying to decide whether to do it. I'm in my mid-30s and am wondering whether it's worth it. I have worked at arch firms before, and find the work interesting. However, I am not a "natural." I'm not as fast on CAD as other designers, and even took an aptitude test that suggested I try other careers. I'm willing to work hard, but I'd probably be at least 45 before I started to enjoy it, if I ever did.

Why am I even considering this? It's a family business.

So what I'm wondering is, should I suck it up and deal, bust my ass for the next 10 years and hope things work out, or say hell with it and look for some other line of work?

Thanks.

Mar 26, 11 9:13 pm
cmrhm

You are so lucky since you have family business for you. Knowing CAD is nothing. EVERYONE can do it very quick and good. I mean it. The most important thing is if you could transfer your any idea into architectural related design.

If the answer is yes, just go ahead. You will enjoy the architect life.

Mar 26, 11 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Do you need the M.Arch to test for licensure? Is it just to keep your subordinates from bitching that they have a higher degree than you? What else would you enjoy doing? You haven't provided much information to help us point out pros and cons.

Since it is your family business I am guessing you have better job security than most and hopefully a better compensation package.

The fastest way to do CAD is to know construction and draw it right the first time.

Mar 27, 11 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

What did your aptitude tests suggest? Why?

Mar 27, 11 9:58 am  · 
 · 
burningman

Having a family business already puts you way ahead of everyone else. Go get an MBA instead. You can still run the business side of the firm and focus on architecture only when you see fit; more money, less stress.

Mar 27, 11 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Yes. Get an MBA instead. Once you run your own family business into ground, you can move on other types of businesses. :)

Mar 27, 11 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

rusty, don't you goto church today?

Mar 27, 11 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

go with your gut. if you have a really strong feeling that this is what you want to do, then by all means, do it. you'll figure something out even in the worst circumstances. if you have nagging doubts, then go with that.

the hard thing, i think, is if you don't have strong feelings about doing anything in particular. then, i would say, go with whatever offers better results for your future. the resources you will have will give you some freedom to explore other things down the line.

Mar 27, 11 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

MArch/MBA combo, gives you flexibility should you want to runaway later on, gives you power to take over all parts of the business (or none, if you choose)

Personally, I'd at least try to go for the family biz, if it is somewhat successful and you get along with everyone. Most would love/kill for that starting point.

My question - why waiting so long? I mean, if it was a family business there was ample opportunity for ages (I assume).

Forget cad, too, anyone can do that quickly. And with today's market, that is not going to be a competitive advantage for anyone.

I've never put any faith in any standardized test. Focus on the business and design side of things, work hard and you'll separate yourself from the herd. You'll also have the bonus of knowing that you can actually do something with it later on.

Take advantage of your position, it is something to embrace and at least go to the point you know, one way or another.

Mar 27, 11 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman spiff

Don't know if you have spouse/kids/mortgage to support, nor how many years your program is, but have a look at whether in ten years, your debt burden will be manageable. If you're getting scholarship money to subsidize, it can get pretty pricey for an M.Arch, let alone M.Arch/MBA combo.

Also, you say you find the work interesting. Is it more interesting than anything else you could conceive of doing? Or maybe just interesting bcasue you've been around it for so long?

I agree, if it's a family business, you can pick and choose your architectural tasks, but will eventually need to manage the business as a job in itself.

I'd say try it and if after a year, or even two years, you don't think it's right for you, then go do something else. Too many people think trying something and not finishing to be considered failure. I consider finishing things just for the sake of it, and finding out 10 years down the road that it wasn't right for you to be more of a mistake. I've seen this from friends who did pharmacy degrees and realized it was the most boring job ever although it pays well. They are now trying to bail out years after the fact.

Mar 28, 11 6:44 am  · 
 · 
elinor

that's a really good point...nobody says you have to finish in the same major you start with. your credits will most likely transfer, so you can always try things out for a year or two without wasting too much of that tuition money.

Mar 28, 11 9:23 am  · 
 · 
jonchitect

That's a hard call. People in your position, (myself included) tend to feel they have so much invested in architecture already; all the time invested, effort, lost sleep and other opportunity costs- and that's before considering all the money; equipment, project materials, TUITION!!! Quitting or continuing becomes a slippery slope. After 3 years in a BARCH program I could no longer justify the payoffs and transferred into film school. What I found is I still love architecture and now have a creative process that's very architectural. Nonetheless I have no regrets about not becoming a licensed architect. Meanwhile I'm trying to parlay my experience toward work in production design. B.T.W. what I hated most is ACAD too. Imaging my first 3 years as a cad-monkey was the final straw. Well that is my 2 cents hope it helps,

Mar 28, 11 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
jonchitect

That's a hard call. People in your position, (myself included) tend to feel they have so much invested in architecture already; all the time invested, effort, lost sleep and other opportunity costs- and that's before considering all the money; equipment, project materials, TUITION!!! Quitting or continuing becomes a slippery slope. After 3 years in a BARCH program I could no longer justify the payoffs and transferred into film school. What I found is I still love architecture and now have a creative process that's very architectural. Nonetheless I have no regrets about not becoming a licensed architect. Meanwhile I'm trying to parlay my experience toward work in production design. B.T.W. what I hated most is ACAD too. Imaging my first 3 years as a cad-monkey was the final straw. Well that is my 2 cents hope it helps,

Mar 28, 11 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

You ever heard of George Nakashima? an MIT arch grad that went on to become a celebrated and very successful carpentry business he took it to a whole new level. Anyway he left architecture because he thought it was degenerating badly at the time, he admired FLW's early work not not his later work though. You should go with your gut.

Mar 28, 11 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
slop
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/garden/21architects.html?_r=2

Just some ideas.

Id kill for a Mies Vanilla Rohe

Mar 29, 11 5:38 am  · 
 · 
RValu100

Thanks for the responses. The school I'm looking at is Syracuse; I was impressed by their program. Hope to make the right decision.

Apr 3, 11 10:03 am  · 
 · 
andytee

I don't know anything about your aptitude test, but if it was from a reputable organization with high standards, I'd listen to them. Architecture is not easy work, and it's not an easy way to get rich either.

Apr 9, 11 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

From the Chairman of my grad department: "How does an architect earn his first million? By starting with six."

Apr 10, 11 9:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: