Archinect
anchor

how is the vray for rhino?

cmrhm

I need to do building rendering from time to time, it is quite inconvenient to transfer the file between 3dmax and rhino. So I am thinking of buying vray for Rhino.

Anyone knows the cons and pros of owning a vray for rhino instead of just using vray in 3dmax environment? The cost of a license is around 800 bucks.

http://www.vray.com/vray_for_rhino/buy_vray_for_rhino.shtml

Mar 21, 11 12:51 pm
not_here

it's ok.
maxwell is better.

Mar 21, 11 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

isn't maxwell too slow?

Mar 21, 11 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Maxwell is slow. But someone will chime in with "optimizing" your scenes. Both are limited in their own aspects.

Where vray will fail you is in trying to render very complex scenes (scenes with say chandeliers, individual leafs or grass blades, various modeled typography or using a lot of displacement maps).

Maxwell, despite its slowness, does make use of proxy objects. So, if you have more than dozen or so unique objects that are repeated throughout a scene... maxwell's inherent slowness will beat out vray's memory hoginess.

The vray core for Rhino is the same that's used in Sketchup. Limitations abound and many values in Vray are totally worthless (like trying to adjust procedural textures)... at least they're worthless to all but the most sophisticated users.

Rhino's ability to handle geometry and texture map to some degree better than sketchup make it infinitely more useful.

It ain't no 3dsmax or Maya though.

Mar 21, 11 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

yea... for diagrammatic and clay renders vray for rhino is very good and convenient

for the real stuff you should use 3dsmax

Mar 21, 11 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

..and by 3d max, i hope you mean mental ray.

Mar 25, 11 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

mental ray in 3dmax sucks. It take so much time to learn and still hard to adjust.

Is there a useful tutorial for MR on the market now? Vray is good enough in the design phase.

Mar 25, 11 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
not_here
cmrhm

"so, I've been using max for 13 years and..... well, this book is ridiculous. Its so absurdly stupid and off topic, you can barely tell what the author is talking about when he talks about it. There isn't any info in here about actually using the shaders, its all theory. I love 3D theory books, but this is way out in left field. Do not buy this book. "

That is the comment on your link. Sorry to see that.

Mar 26, 11 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

go to the amazon.com page and read the reviews.
i learned a lot from that book, and took a lot from it to maxwell for those times when i do personal projects.

that is the extent of my response to you.

Mar 27, 11 9:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: