Archinect
anchor

Pedogogy -

ext architect

Dear fellow Architects around the world,

It's time of the year when there's a whole lot of discussions about Schools, Masters, Applications and rejoicing admittance and dreadful rejections.

I am one of the many people who applied and faced approval and rejections. I applied to this School which I really really wanted to get in and for some reason I had a feelings, I would get in to it.

But the issue is this - I have a 5 year Undergraduate degree in Architecture and I deliberately applied to the 3 year Master's Program. I got a rejection from this university which would not review applications for Professional M Arch because I have a 5 year degree which seem unfair to the ones who have a 3 or a 4 year degree. (No offense meant to non- architectural or 3-4 year degree in Architecture)

I have a counter point and a valid reason for applying to Professional M Arch . With no disrespect I am acknowledging the fact that the pedagogy of architectural education in India (where I am from) is old school. An architectural discourse of 5 years or 3 years by no means is technologically advanced, intrinsically design oriented with flexibility in material study or fabrication or any parameter associated. It seems unfair to me to be reviewed as an applicant for Post Professional Architecture and get rejected because of the wide-est gap in the architectural education system. I am not complaining yet I cannot come to terms with it.

In another instance, I got a rejection from a School from whom I inquired if my application/portfolio seem inadequate for Advanced Placement, will I be considered for M Arch I. I got an affirmation while applying and a rejection at the end of it.

An opportunity lost is a year lost.

Mar 14, 11 2:30 pm
ext architect

I don't mean to sound sporadic but I can't think right at this moment.

Mar 14, 11 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
AmeliaP

:/ it seems pretty unfair. if you are openly acknowledging that you feel you need more schooling and were ill-prepared by your undergrad, you would think that the schools might understand and commend your desire to be better. especially when you're prepared to pay them for an extra year. i hope you get some better news.

i think it's extremely reckless for the schools to be accepting so many non-arch majors into the grad programs at a time like this. it seems they have no accountability to the profession or those already in pursuit. at a time when there aren't enough jobs to feed even half of the architects and interns in the market already, the schools are welcoming scores of non-arch majors to merely add to the problem.

it's disheartening to say the least. i'm an arch intern with 4 years of experience, haven't heard back from any schools yet this grad season.

Mar 14, 11 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
ext architect

I am afraid, the Schools aren't too open for people who are willing to spend their lives in pursuing better education. I somehow feel there's a lack of transparency in the process. While applying I called and mailed and double checked with the universities, if my application was inadequate for Advanced Placement , will I be considered for Professional M Arch. I got affirmations from them but now when I shot them a mail saying the same thing I got a reply - 'Its against our policy'.

I am just not convinced with the process. I by no means, say is better or good but I would rather get a fair rejection than a manipulated response.

For what its worth- a link to my portfolio of work, you can be a better judge yourself. http://issuu.com/the.sign/docs/pow

Mar 15, 11 11:46 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

If you asked them if you qualified to even enter the program, and they said yes, then followed up your application with a rejection based on it being against their policy, then yes, I agree that you have a valid reason to be annoyed.

I am not sure what benefit it would have been to the schools to not be open with you though. Are you sure it wasnt just a misunderstanding?

Mar 15, 11 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
architerp

So you have a 5-yr professional degree and want a MArch? The 3-year Masters program may be more school than is necessary. Perhaps the school's thought is redundancy of degrees on your part - you'd in sense have two professional architecture degree in the end.

I went to Syracuse - they have a One-Year MArch II Research program specifically for student with a 5-yr degree. It's pretty intense and focuses on independent study and research, and you'll be paired with professor mentors. Maybe check into schools that offer similar programs.

Mar 15, 11 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
ext architect

Hell I did! And I got affirmation about the Advanced Placement to Professional standing (2 to 3 yr.) if they saw 'potential'. And more than anything I had an understanding that my Professional B Arch degree is a proof of it. Now its against their policy or maybe I do not have potential which I doubt. More than potential, I want to use 3 year of Graduate opportunity to learn what I could not in 5 years of my architectural education. I am sounding desperate, because I am.

And yea, I did not confirm if I was eligible to apply for M Arch I but that's one school which didn't have advanced standing, so it deemed right to apply for it.

It's not as simple as I thought it is, I am beginning to lose all hopes in the 'system' of how things work. Sigh.

Mar 15, 11 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

how many schools have said you dont fit their "policy"? That seems kind of odd to not accept someone because they have too much education

I could see it the other way around, where you are required to have the 5 year degree because the program is a post-prof degree

Drexel was like that for me, as i only had a 4 year degree and was not eligible for their post professional program which required a 5 year degree to start

You seem to be the opposite case, which makes this all very weird

good luck! the system is definitely not perfect by any means

Mar 15, 11 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
ext architect

It was all nice and sundry back in November-December. Now 4 Schools say its a policy to not review a 5 yr to a 3 or 4 yr non archi background. Clearly, am not convinced.

Mar 15, 11 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
ext architect

I got 3 rejections so far and it hasn't turned me bitter so far. 2 to go!

Mar 15, 11 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

what did they say when you questioned why you were told it was acceptable back in Nov-Dec?

Also, do none of these schools have a post-professional program for 5 year graduates?

Mar 15, 11 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
ext architect

I had one further question, if at all my application/portfolio seem inadequate for M Arch II will it be considered for a M Arch. III?

Response 1
In the supplemental information section of the application that you are interested in applying to both Option 2 and Option 3.

Response 2
You should indicate in your statement of purpose that you would like to be considered for a two-year program if this is what you wish.

Response 3
If we see a potential in you, we will definitely consider you for it.

Though it states clearly that I should chose the option that seem the best suited for my architectural education. Which I did, it deemed necessary to me to apply for an Professional Program considering the wide gap. I am skeptical now if at all it means anything anyway.

Mar 15, 11 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Wait... y'all are complaining about a school finally doing something about educational redundancy?

Mar 15, 11 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
ext architect

I didn't quite get the point of your remark.

Mar 15, 11 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Welcome to America 2011 where critical thinking is on the endangered list. All most people are incompetent enough to do is apply a rule to a situation and are incapable of making a judgement. I run into this in all facets of life these days, not just architecture.

Why someone with a 5 year degree can't do a 3 year masters if they choose to is beyond me. It says that they are seriously committed and dedicated to making sure they have learned the subject well.

Mar 15, 11 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
ext architect

I am presuming this misunderstanding is because at the other end in Schools, ones who answer have no brain or have few answers that they memorized. And if anything is out of their 'direct answers' - its your choice, discretion, do what you want. I guess people who have some authority or some say must be replying to queries.

Mar 16, 11 12:07 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

Perhaps you should talk to someone beyond just the admin person answering the phone.

Were you able to speak to any of the department heads or professors? Or did you only call the admissions office?

You are right, in that the people answering the phones might have some stock answers ready for you. I think claiming they have no brain, is a bit disrespectful, considering they are just doing their job. They arent there to do all your research for you and to get you past the school guidelines that are set up for admissions. You need to speak to someone else there to do that.

Mar 16, 11 9:00 am  · 
 · 
ext architect

Indeed disrespectful. Apologies, I was so pissed off.

Mar 16, 11 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

oh i am not offended, I am just saying that you were perhaps directing your anger at someone who wasnt even in a position to help you out.

I would imagine that at many schools, the admissions contact number will bring you to someone who basically just lets you know the school's regulations. Those regulations are definitely not set in stone, but you need to be working with someone in the actual department you will be entering.

Did you speak with anyone in the architectural department/ program? or did you just speak with someone in admissions?

Mar 16, 11 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
ext architect

Spoke to the one in admission department only.

Mar 16, 11 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

I would contact the head of the architectural graduate program and speak with them directly, explain your situation, why you want to do something that might technically be outside the guidelines of the admissions department, and what steps you could take to do so.

That way, when you apply again, your application will reach someone who knows your situation and what is going on, rather than someone in admissions only who is weeding out applications that dont follow the rules.

Yours doesnt sound like an unreasonable situation for them to just outright reject you on the spot, so i would be surprised if they didnt at least entertain the idea and talk it over with you

When i went back to grad school, it seemed every single person had a different overal course load based on what their background was, and it was really personalized to each particular person's situation and experience. It's much different than undergrad, where everyone is usually viewed the same coming in.

Mar 16, 11 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
ext architect

That's where I went wrong. I am at a loss now. And yes, I would definitely call them. I got in touch with one of the heads from School but I still had hard luck there. Thanks for your input, I would be safe than sorry if I apply next time. Delay is like denial, I have rejections from 3 schools. 2 to go , hopeful but not anticipating any better.

Mar 19, 11 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: