Archinect
anchor

Rendering in Rhino: Maxwell vs. vray for Rhino?

maya mcdifference

My office is thinking of purchasing more licences of vray for Rhino, but I've used Maxwell in the past and found that I really liked the results. Any opinions out there? Any other options that might rival these two plug-ins?

Thanks!

Mar 3, 11 12:20 pm
jmanganelli

i don't know that i'd call it definitively a rival -- it depends on how you use the renderer -- but i recently downloaded the beta of flamingo nxt -- and it has come a very long way and may be worth a look

it seems to be designed to be easier than vray or maxwell, i would say, and give good enough results very fast --- plus, it is completely integrated

three years ago i looked into a render engine for the firm where i worked --- i looked at maxwell, vray, fryrender, nxt, flamingo, kerkythea, renditioner, SUpodium -- the firm was using sketchup, i was transitioning to rhino on my own --- so i was focused on sketchup plugins but also keenly exploring rhino implementations of the same engines, as well as rhino - only engines

ultimately, i settled on vray for both rhino and sketchup. at the time, maxwell took too long for our purposes. nxt and flamingo just were not in the same league. but i must say, the ease vs results of this new implementation of flamingo nxt is impressive

see video:

flamingo_nxt_tutorial

Mar 3, 11 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
huh

i researched this for my firm and decided on Vray. I'm not familiar with Maxwell, except that the render times are excruciatingly long compared to Vray, which was a dealbreaker for me.

we use Vray for sketchup to produce in-house renders during project development and Vray for Max to do high quality presentations. the advantage of this is that the workflow is similar across both software packages (Max 2011 has a SketchUp importer), plus the Vray community is massive (again, not sure about Maxwell), which means a ton of extremely helpful and timesaving resources -- plug-ins, materials, 3d models optimized for Max, tutorials, etc).

i hope this helps!

Mar 4, 11 9:44 am  · 
 · 
leeben

I've worked with both, but longer experience overall with maxwell.

vray: fast, good results, bit harder to navigate than maxwell

maxwell: slow, easy to use, very good results in certain conditions, multilight

I noticed that a lot of people use 3dsmax + vray to have the best quality.

Mar 4, 11 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

@ leeben...

That's probably because Vray for SketchUp and Rhino are practically the same program.

Vray for 3DS is a different beast. There's more controls and texturing objects in 3DSMax is much easier if you're doing things with a lot of curvy surfaces and what not.

Mar 4, 11 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

definitely Vray. Maxwell is way too slow.

Mar 5, 11 11:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: