Archinect
anchor

Going back to school for architecture?

JayGatsbyXCV

I graduated from college last year with a BA in History. Since then I've been working in journalism, but want to change my career to Architecture. It was going to major in that field, but my college didn't have it. I was thinking about starting off a a junior college first then transfer to a university that has an architect program. Is this a good idea?

Jul 19, 14 6:17 pm
accesskb

We can't tell you to take architecture or not.  It all depends on how passionate you are and whether you're willing to stick with it for the long haul regardless what it throws at you.  If not, you're probably just wasting your time.  Still, I doubt I'd have listened to anyone telling me not to study architecture 9 years ago when I was really passionate about this field.

here are just some titles of threads in here to give you an idea... I'm sure architecture  will open more doors for you than a BA in History though :)

Lost passion,

Returning to Architecture after 10 years,

Architect's existential crisis.

What do architects do during down turns?,

Architects are facing a silent war,

Why won't employers hire interns without a lot of experience,

Joining workforce in high-unemployment year a drag on lifetime earnings,

Is architecture a bad choice in US and Europe ?!?,

Jul 19, 14 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
ecnal

Journalism and History would be great backgrounds for a good architect IMO.

Apr 12, 18 1:47 am  · 
 · 
HockeyGoalie

I've known several great architects in my years of building.  They were passionate, knowledgeable, consultative, and imaginative.  While they've not designed anything you may know of, or even heard of, they've amazed me with new ways of looking at design.  They've solved problems I couldn't think my way out of, largely because I'm a builder.  Full disclosure, I don't even pretend to be an architect but work with them frequently.

One thing they all had in common is that is a shared understanding of the mechanics of how things go together and this is the science / technical aspect of architecture.  I know that this was learned over years and years of experience while passionately involved in the pursuit of this understanding.

I have AIT's working at my present company that are great with the "art" side of the equation but lack real world experience to be able to holistically understand the building process and what the science it takes to make that art become real.  They don't understand the simple fundamentals of building and as such require significant guidance, which is expepcted.  We are working on constantly training but some get it and some just don't.

While this is my personal opinion, I would focus on learning the fundamentals of building and learning the materials and methods of how things go together/get built.  Get your hands dirty.  Place Concrete, stand columns, learn to weld, hang drywall, hang doors...  You'll get a great understanding of what architects are up against and you'll be able to take that real world experience into your own designs as your career progresses.

Perhaps you could consider working for a contractor during your return to school.  If this doesn't fit your position in life then read and use your minds eye to imagine what details look like in 2D or 3D.  This will help immensely in gaining an understanding of the science aspect.  I can't tell you how many times I look at things and imagine what they would look like on a drawing.

Like others have stated History and Journalism could be great backgrounds.  But, I'm just a builder so take what I say with a grain of salt and listen to what the experienced actual architects have to say.  I hope I haven't offended any of them with this comment.

Apr 12, 18 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
A605

I am working in business and I found that architecture apply in manufacture is really in need. So it may not be problem in workforce, right?

Apr 13, 18 2:13 am  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

It depends on you and what you know about the process of becoming an architect.  At minimum, you are looking at 3-4 years of graduate study, 2-3 years of needed work experience plus passing the ARE.

As you have just graduated, you have 30-40 years of your career remaining.  Why not pursue if you want.

Contact me if you wish -- [email protected]

Aug 3, 18 11:41 am  · 
 · 
travisnguyen

If you like architecture, do it for yourself. If you need advice, you should meet real persons who work in construction. DON'T go to internet for this kind of question. Because I believe that most people are afraid to change career. I changed from finance to architecture. Yes. I went to school at night.

Do it for yourself!

Jul 11, 19 8:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: