Archinect
anchor

the all-nighters sure fried my brain....you loosing it yet?

awaiting_deletion

i'd like to know how many of you are starting to experience early signs of mental illnesses due to all those damn all-nighters....

lately:  i look at the clock and for a split second think, is that AM or PM

or i go down an aisle at the grocery store and get entangled with some stupid construction detail in my head and forget where the hell I am at  and have to take 10 seconds off to re-orientated myself.

any other 'loosing it' stories?

Jun 17, 11 10:50 pm
jbushkey

Get some sleep SUF.  I start to get mild hallucinations around 30 hours without sleep.  When that happens I take a break and get some sleep and come back more productive.

Jun 17, 11 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

no time no time....

Jun 17, 11 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

Had one student in my undergrad studio say he thought he was starting to hear things...after he'd presented his project at the final critique he fell asleep while the rest of the class presented theirs.  One of the guest professors sitting in on the crit made a comment oh him falling asleep...I don't think it left a very good impression, though I don't if it effected his grade. 

One of my roommates used the word "symmetricality" during a crit, one of the profs said, "You mean symmetry"? 

Now, I sure didn't enough sleep in undergrad, but the ability to form coherent sentences and present your project well does have some advantages...not the least of which being able to not sound like an idiot in front of everyone.

Good luck with your project, though, we feel your pain.

Jun 17, 11 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
burningman

It's summer time. Why the hell are you pulling all nighters?

It's better to leave a drawing or model unfinished and present it well then to stay up without sleep touching up minute details which has very little impact on your presentation. It took a few years for me to realize the all-nighters are NOT worth it.

Jun 18, 11 10:26 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I don't think I've been to a crit without several people falling asleep, including myself.  That's just par for the course, and while a prof might want you to stay awake, I've never seen or heard anyone mention it.  If anything, I'd say profs liked coming in at 10 pm then at 7 am and seeing everyone in the same clothes (sometimes with the rush to get the car home, change, back for the crit, etc.).

SUF - you'll get it, time management takes experience.  I didn't 'get it' until grad school, so essentially took 4+ years of studio to master the schedule (and I still did all nighters, but not often).

I'd disagree about that last hour or two of work, I think it makes a tremendous difference much of the time.  Maybe not all nighters, but damn close.  Those hours are what often times separates the best from the rest (imho).  Consistency, too, but you'll get that later on.

Jun 18, 11 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

SUF, there was an old thread here about this in which someone told the wonderful story of pulling allnighters, presenting, then (!!mistake!!) getting in his car to drive home, stopping at a Stop sign, and sitting in the car for 5 minutes waiting for the Stop sign to change so he could drive through.  Thankfully this person realized he was in no condition to drive so pulled his car over and walked the rest of the way home.

Two things here: PLEASE don't drive after you haven't slept.  It's stupid and dangerous to you and to others. Hopefully you live close enough to walk or can take transit.

Second, your productivity really does drop off on less sleep - often a brief nap really can help - just make sure you set your phone alarm clock AND charge 2-3 other studio mates with making sure you wake up.  The cry of "No time no time!" is often a mask for disorganization - a brief rest can help you prioritize what really needs to be done well vs. what are small details that are less important either for the crit or for your own sense of satisfaction with the project.

Jun 19, 11 9:41 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Like most of us, I pulled many all-nighters as an architecture undergrad in my late teens and early twenties--an age when our bodies seem able to deflect bullets and heal blade wounds overnight.

My first all-nighter in grad school came at the ripe old age of 34.  What a difference.  It took me days and days to recover.  I only pulled one more while doing the MArch. 

Donna's right: there's no good reason to do this pointless ritual, and many good alternatives to it.

Jun 19, 11 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

Construction detail? In college?....

Jun 20, 11 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: