Archinect
anchor

Internship at Studio Fuksas

mjfw

I've been offered a 6 month internship at Studio Fuksas in Rome (unpaid) and was curious to know if anyone can provide me with some information on what it's like working there. I am still an undergraduate student and have heard some stories from previous threads on working for Fuksas, but those were all from a few years ago...

If you would prefer, you can email me...

mjfwinte @ uwaterloo.ca (without the spaces of course)

Thanks.

Nov 17, 10 12:13 pm
dfowler

I can't really help, as I've never worked there, but I did visit the studio while I was in Rome. The feeling I got is that the interns work pretty hard, but they all seemed to enjoy it. It was a good atmosphere, everyone jamming on work and having fun. If I had my choice I would definitely try to work on some physical models.
I'm still not a fan of unpaid internships, but I guess if you're going to do it this could be a cool place.

Nov 17, 10 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
nypencil

Fuksas is a great architect. From their work, it looks they are a forward thinking architect. Maybe sharpen your 3d skill? Just a guess.

Nice work. Good luck.

Nov 18, 10 1:49 am  · 
 · 
jplourde

I've heard/seen Massimiliano a few times at lectures, but never Doriana. Though, they are always given dual credit on any project [that I've seen]. I would be curious as to how their creative process works and how they play out design.

I mean the Pritzker was given to Bob and not Denise, even though they collabed on everything. Pete is much more well known than Crystie. The profession has a tendency towards the masculine, I think. But perhaps that is changing.

As to the internship: Take it. A 6 month unpaid stint in Roma is well worth quite more than what you might be paid in ny or boston or chicago. I was there for one semester plus 2 months in 2006 and it was a lovely experience. A pui tarde, mia amico/ca! A boun danza!

Nov 19, 10 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
bollocks

this is a while ago but MF is one of the crazier star architects - i don't see why age would have improved his character. when he was in the studio his employees were PETRIFIED and needless to say completely underpaid. he had the reputation of being one of the worst people to work for, and like i said, in this field, these things do not improve over time

Nov 19, 10 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

meh, I think that is said about every single 'star' about a billion times over. I worked for DL - very personable. I worked for NF - very smart and very obtuse, but not mean. Obviously, the people who leave, voluntarily or not, might have negative opinions. It's difficult to judge whether or not a firm might be a good fit based on the opinions of those who have departed.

Nov 19, 10 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
huyvuvn

well..... 8-years-old topic, i dont know who gonna read it but i come here to say no. Unpaid intern is always bad, they dont respect you because you didnt respect yourself. You can not learn anything, they use you as a free labour. Drawing some CAD, making some photoshop, arrange powerpoint files, print out the panels etc.. At the end you got a beautiful bla bla confirmation letter and have one "looks great" line in your CVs. Worth it ?

Jun 30, 18 6:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: