Archinect
anchor

64-bit and 32-bit operating systems and softwares

mark lower

my laptop has a 32-bit operating system so therefore im using a 32-bit version of 3ds max design

however the computer labs at my school have 64-bit operating systems and have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of 3ds max design installed on them

so what exactly is the difference between a 64-bit and 32-bit operating system... is one more powerful than the other?

and whats the difference between 64-bit and 32-bit versions of 3ds max design... is one more powerful than the other?

if i created a file on a 32-bit version 3ds max design will it function properly on the 64-bit version? and vice versa?

thanks.

Oct 19, 10 12:22 pm
THEaquino

Going between 32 and 64-bit versions of the same program shouldn't be an issue.

64 bit operating systems give you additional access to RAM (32 bit OS is limited to 3GB, with the 3GB switch) thus, you can work on larger projects on a 64 bit operating system. I believe the 64-bit max is 128 GB of RAM (have yet to see a consumer workstation that can even hold that much).

Also, 64-bit OS's are MUCH more stable that 32-bit system.

Oct 19, 10 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"Also, 64-bit OS's are MUCH more stable that 32-bit system."

Unless it's Apple's os X. The 64-bit version comes with twice as many bugs.

Also of note are third party plug-ins. They need to be rewritten as 64-bit versions or they will flat out not work (or work very poorly) with a 64-bit version of the program.

Oct 19, 10 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

Eh, Windows 7 64-bit is a hell of a lot more stable on my rig than the 32-bit version, especially when it comes to little nvidia gfx mini-crashes.

Oct 20, 10 11:33 am  · 
 · 
knock out

You may already have a laptop with a 64bit compatible processor (Intel Core2Duo for example) but only a 32bit OS.

Check your model number and see is this is true. You could always just upgrade to 64bit Windows 7, it rocks.

Nov 1, 10 1:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

the N64 was the peak of console gaming. Fight me! Goldeneye, pistols, library, license to kill. (No odd job)

Aug 17, 20 6:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: